Thread: Need to replace DME in 2007 X5 3.0SI

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 3.0si

Need to replace DME in 2007 X5 3.0SI

My DME has minor water damage and a broken pin. I have patched from the contact on the board for the broken pin to the harness and the motor runs, but the intake VANOS is erratic. When I run the VANOS tests in INPA the target and actual cam advance for exhaust stay closely matched but the intake constantly jumps both higher and lower than the target. The intake VANOS test in ISTA just fails outright. I have replaced the VANOS filter/check valves, both CPSs, both VANOS solenoids, checked that the intake cam hook seals haven't gouged the journal, verified that I can manually move the cams relative to the VANOS gears, and yes, the insert and o-ring are present in the oil filter cap. Since the DME has some damage, I figure it's best to replace it before buying the timing tool and replacing the intake VANOS gear.

I have the Bimmergeeks pro cable and have successfully done some coding and diagnostics.

I have read through MANY forums about replacing the DME and keep running into conflicting information, so I am hoping to clarify some things and come up with a cost-effective plan.

How compatible are the various MSV80 versions? My X5 was manufactured in 11/06 so I assume it has an earlier version of the MSV80. Realoem lists a lot of superseding part numbers for the MSV80 and some of the part numbers listed on ebay don't show up in realoem at all. One forum post stated that the MSV80 from the E90 will not activate the fuel pump in an X5 yet another post described swapping an E90 MSV80 into an X5, although the thread ended before stating the outcome. X5's are rare at the local pull a part but there are tons of E60's, E90s, etc. (not to stereotype driving habits).

Is it possible to successfully do the swap and necessary coding with my K+DCAN cable and software from Bimmergeeks? I understand that I need a programmer that can read/write the Tricore flash in boot mode to do a DME clone, but is it possible and practical to read the donor ISV and write it to the existing CAS with my setup? Does the ISV need to be written to anything else, i.e. the transmission? If I used a MSV80 from another model vehicle, can I copy the tune from my old DME and write it to the donor using something like WinKFP? Is it possible to update the VIN in the donor DME with my setup?

Is it worth considering finding a matched DME, CAS and keys? What are the issues/ramifications of this?

Are there any low-cost tools (< $200) tools that will allow me to clone the MSV80.

Is there anyone here or any recommendations for someone to clone the DME for me?

If I decide to have the DME cloned, is it possible for me to read out the necessary data (i.e. ISV and DME tune) for the cloning rather than sending the existing DME, so that I can keep my Uber bill down?

Can anyone straighten out this bag of snakes?
    Last edited by pgaustin; 05-20-2022 at 05:00 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Your research is a bit all over the place and not making this easier.

Basically no, the MSV80 is one of the more difficult DMEs and it can't be done over kdcan.
    Is the DME tuned? Why do you think the tune needs to be 'transfered'?

There are really only two MSV80 types. MSV80.0 and MSV80.1
    They're not interchangeable and not always labeled accordingly. RealOEM supersessions are accurate and help what can replace it.

Also the X5 has a different power class byte that the other cars (E60/90) don't, so it adds a bit more complexity.

A dme/cas/key set will only screw things up further.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Your research is a bit all over the place and not making this easier.

Basically no, the MSV80 is one of the more difficult DMEs and it can't be done over kdcan.
    Is the DME tuned? Why do you think the tune needs to be 'transfered'?

There are really only two MSV80 types. MSV80.0 and MSV80.1
    They're not interchangeable and not always labeled accordingly. RealOEM supersessions are accurate and help what can replace it.

Also the X5 has a different power class byte that the other cars (E60/90) don't, so it adds a bit more complexity.

A dme/cas/key set will only screw things up further.

Sorry if I have made this difficult. I've been digging around for info for the last week and talked to several local BMW mechanics who basically contradicted one another in several ways. The one thing the local mechanics (and fs1inc) were all consistent about was that I had to have the exact same part number donor DME and not just any other MSV80.0. Thank you for clarifying that.

Perhaps I should have said "Stock Tune". What I am expecting is that if I used a donor DME from a car with different engine components (manifold, injectors, etc.) and I either copied the ISN from the donor to my CAS or was able to send someone my ISN and VIN to be written to the donor it would then need to have the programming/data replaced with what's needed for the N52K my X5. I understand this would not be necessary if the donor is fully cloned to match my DME.

I seriously miss my E30, particularly being able to burn a tune to a ROM chip and pop it in the socket with no EWS or CAS to worry about.

So are you setup to do cloning or can you recommend anyone? Bimmerlabs looks promising but I sent a message a few days ago through their contact form and have heard nothing back. I believe Bimmerlabs is owned by hassmaschine over at bimmerpost but my membership there doesn't allow messaging yet.

I'm hoping that whoever does the clone for me can also source the donor DME, mainly to ensure compatibility and to speed up the process.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    So the flash (aka calibration) is just the ZB number in the DME, it doesn't have to be cloned over, it can simply just be overwritten via WinKFP to the right version. It will also need to be coded (usually in vehicle, with NCSExpert).

ISN transfer into the replacement DME is much better than modifying the CAS ISN. This is because the vehicle has an assigned ISN at BMW, and if you were to replace the CAS with a dealer unit (not terribly expensive), then the car won't start.

Anyways, I've done a few dozen MSV80/MSD80.
    I'm pretty sure I may have an MSV80.0 at home. I don't return until Tuesday, so I can check then.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    So the flash (aka calibration) is just the ZB number in the DME, it doesn't have to be cloned over, it can simply just be overwritten via WinKFP to the right version. It will also need to be coded (usually in vehicle, with NCSExpert).

ISN transfer into the replacement DME is much better than modifying the CAS ISN. This is because the vehicle has an assigned ISN at BMW, and if you were to replace the CAS with a dealer unit (not terribly expensive), then the car won't start.

Anyways, I've done a few dozen MSV80/MSD80.
    I'm pretty sure I may have an MSV80.0 at home. I don't return until Tuesday, so I can check then.
    I PM'd you my contact info.

My Cars
    VF Z4, G-Power/ESS Z4Ms
    I can clone your DME if you still need it. Feel free to PM me.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X7
    Hi @pgaustin,
    Just wondering if you were ever able to solve this issue. I would greatly appreciate a response.
    Cheers