Thread: Finally, a seat cushion that fits

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3

Finally, a seat cushion that fits

I've tried a number of cushions, even after my seats were reupholstered last year. The upholster added some extra padding, but it didn't help. I tried a thin cushion we had for office chairs and just an inch of foam was all I needed. But, as usual, it was too small. So I measured the seat (standard, not sport) at 18" front to back and 19" at the widest point. Then, I found this on amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking at the cushion, the dimensions are very close, but it's rectangular and I expected it would spill over at very back of the seat where the width necks down from a maximum of 19" to about 12". So, much to my surprise, when I installed it, well, see for yourself:

20220519_152058.jpg

I can only surmise the curvature of the seat takes up the slack.

And, on my other criteria:

1. It is more comfortable compared to the bare seat.
    2. Between its non-skid backing and the little plum buckles, it doesn't shift when I get in and out of the car.

Now, hopefully, it will pass the test of time and not get too scalding hot in the sun. I had one with a gel insert that could give one 2nd degree burns. I'll try to update this thread in a few months.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    2000 Topaz Blue Roadster
    What were you trying to address? Seat comfort? Seat height?

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CatchSomeZs View Post
    What were you trying to address? Seat comfort? Seat height?
    Comfort. A lot of people find the standard seats uncomfortable, perhaps for almost as many reasons as there are people complaining. For me, they are too hard, right where my tailbone contacts the seat. My upholster tried to build it up in the center, but the material he used feels too hard and he didn't go back far enough
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    It's good to get an occasional reminder that most of y'all are boomers.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    I'm technically a millenial, but I did add lumbar to my driver's seat to help my bad back.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Yep, born in 55, old now.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    Yep, born in 55, old now.
    Hey, I was born in February of '55 and I'm not old, just more experienced!

My Cars
    2020 M440i xDrive
    I've looked at various cushions and have refused to pay $40 for one, so far. What has worked well for us is a simple thin flat foam seat cushion that's less an inch thick. It added just enough additional comfort that we can extend our travels by hours, on a given day. We don't use them on short trips; but, we've used them on day-long trips, with success. My wife paid very little for them, I'm sure.For lower back pain in both my NC & ND I first tested the theory by folding a small towel in the seat, then sitting on that. For both cars it worked, so I integrated it into the seats. The NC required removing the seat cover, but the ND is much easier. Once you know the thickness you need for comfort just pull the seat out & put the towel/cushion/spacer between the seat & the first sling under the seat. Your seat will be permanently comfortable, & keeps the look of the OEM seat. Hope this will help you.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Another option, albeit not cheap is a gel seat pad. When I had a motorcycle, my wife would use one when we went on long trips and swore by it. Here's a link to JP Bikes. They have a huge selection. If you find a shape that works, you could install it inside the seat.
    https://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-seat-pads?Nao=0

Memory foam foam would also be better than regular foam.

BTW, I was borned in '58 and both my wife an I find the regular stock seats to be very comfortable. I think the foam holds up better in a cold climate.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Just curious but have you done the seat tilt mod? It raises the front of the seat by about an inch and so your body weight will distribute differently on the seat. It helped me mainly with my back, but I found my thighs and buttocks to be more relaxed after a long drive as well.
    Kelvin