Thread: Vacuum Pump

My Cars
    2013 528i

Vacuum Pump

Does anyone know how quickly the vacuum pump should achieve full vacuum on the reservoir to maintain proper pressure on the WG solenoid? Long story but I have been chasing a drivetrain malfunction 120308 for low boost pressure. I have smoke tested, replaced the intercooler, WG does not appear to be sticking, and replaced the WG solenoid. I am thinking that the vacuum pump may not be recovering fast enough on the WG side when on the road however, I have also verified the following:

- Check vacuum at output of pressure converter for wastegate valve (-450 +/-50 hPa at 50 % duty factor at idle speed)
    - Check whether wastegate valve moves stiffly
    - Check vacuum at input of pressure converter for wastegate valve (target value -900 to -800 hPa)

I have not changed out the charge pressure sensor yet. This started when I found oil in the vacuum cannister under the engine cover and found that the supply nipple on the pump had a bad check valve. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, I found a replacement one online and removed/cleaned my original pump. I am able to achieve 23 or so psi to the WG solenoid but at idle it seems like it takes quite a while to get there. My thought it that under actual road conditions, when the WG solenoid is applying or venting vacuum, it cannot recover vacuum pressure fast enough. Thoughts??

Thanks!
    Last edited by sccowboy; 05-19-2022 at 12:27 PM.