Thread: Driveshft Shop driveshaft wont fit onto transmition

My Cars
    e36 M3, e36 328i, e46

Question Driveshft Shop driveshaft wont fit onto transmition

Okay so I'm trying to install this DSS driveshaft to my e36, and I seem unable to do so. I am most likely just doing something really stupid or I'm missing a piece, but they sent no install guide so I would have no idea.

So this guy
    3.jpg

Bolts on here
    1.jpg2.jpg

And is supposed to be attached to this three bolt input flange on the trans, but obviously the attached item to the driveshaft is for four bolts. When buying this thing there were only two options, those being; 4 bolt rear output flange to the diff or a 6 bolt rear output flange to the diff. I ordered the four bolt because that what my rear flange is, and its fits great there. Also, to my knowledge they never made a trans that had a four bolt input. I'm just lost and this is the last thing I need to get done before I can get back on the road.

4.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    This is the part you need:

https://driveshaftshop.com/product/b...-joint-flange/

The 4 small holes are for the u-joint flange on the shaft. You use 3 of the 6 large holes for the trans flange depending on the size of your flange (small Getrag 250 or large ZF320).

If you don’t have one of these front flanges, you don’t have the right parts.

My Cars
    e36 M3, e36 328i, e46
    Okay, so I do have that part, and it does fit on the trans input flange, but then I have no idea how it fits onto the driveshaft. Unless I'm putting it on backwards, I kinda just assumed that the rubber end went on the trans and acted as a replacement for the flex disk.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There is no rubber end and you do not use the flex disk. You bolt the adapter flange to the trans output flange. The bolt heads recess into the larger end of the holes, which are then covered up partially by the driveshaft u-joint that you very patiently bolt to the adapter flange using some combination of tools to get the right angle for clearance. A long shaft Hex socket or a 1/4 drive hex socket will give more clearance than a short 3/8 hex socket that will let you stay square in the bolt head so you are less likely to strip it.

You may have to push the driveshaft to compress it against the cv joint in the rear to get clearance to get the shaft into or onto the front adapter at the trans end.

My Cars
    e36 M3, e36 328i, e46
    Okay, so I was just being super stupid it seems. I Fit it in, but because of the adapters its too long so I now need to get the driveshaft shortened.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    DSS makes on that fits with the adapters. If you have the right shaft, it should not be too long. You don’t use the flex disk.

My Cars
    e36 M3, e36 328i, e46
    Not using the flex disk. It would fit if not for the adapters.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I guess I don’t understand the problem as to why the shaft is too long. A DSS shaft for a ZF320 with 6 bolt 188mm diff and the correct adapters will fit and there is no need to shorten. I have installed a few though they were for the 4 bolt 188 mm diff. I have also installed a DSS shaft specified for the ZF320 and the 6 bolt 210 mm diff. I did have that shaft shortened later when I swapped the ZF320 for a longer GS6-53.