RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Cannot find a part number.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i Sedan

Cannot find a part number.

I have a 2005 325i with an M56 Sulev. I was rebuilding the dual vanos, when I noticed the valve cover was just absolutely filled with gunk. This car has about 150k miles, and I don't think anyone's gone in there and cleaned it out yet. After getting it as good as I could, I noticed I could take off the baffle plates in there, and clean it some more. The gaskets on both of the plates were completely shot, and I'm not quite sure where I can find a part-number for them. I might just be dumb, but Realoem.com seemed to be of no help either. Can anyone help me sourcce the plates with a gasket, or the gaskets themselves? Its the gaskets that would be where the guy RTV'd over them in the photo below. Thanks.

(Source : http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...lve-Cover-Swap)

My Cars
    z3
    That is considered non-serviceable by BMW and you have to replace the whole valve cover or use RTV as in your picture.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    That is considered non-serviceable by BMW and you have to replace the whole valve cover or use RTV as in your picture.
    Do you think that RTV in the place of where the gasket would be, would be viable? Wont the screws that hold it in place bottom out? Any tips on how you'd go about doing this without the gaskets that are originally there?

My Cars
    z3
    I would apply the rtv then set it in place and loosely install the bolts down. Then I'd let it cure for an hour up to overnight (depending on which rtv used) to let the rtv set a little bit before the final torqueing. The bolts probably should be bottomed out when properly installed but not positive...

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I would apply the rtv then set it in place and loosely install the bolts down. Then I'd let it cure for an hour up to overnight (depending on which rtv used) to let the rtv set a little bit before the final torqueing. The bolts probably should be bottomed out when properly installed but not positive...
    Sorry for the late reply, the original gasket was quite thick, which I believed stopped them from bottoming out prematurely, should I get washers just incase?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    My hack approach would be to use a rubber grommet thickness of the gasket at each bolt hole in addition to the RTV.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI