Thread: F01 Steering problem

My Cars
    09 730d

F01 Steering problem

Hello.
    My 09' feels strange when turning, especially when sentering the wheel again after turning. It feels like the wheels are out of round, even though they aren't. I can best describe the problem as sort of a "cogging" feel through the steering wheel.
    It only comes apparent at speeds above 30 mph really..

It's got hydraulic power steering (servotronic) with dynamic drive (no rear wheel steering). No noises from anything and no play in anything. Have been chasing this issue for quite a while now, no mechanic is able to trace it.

Has anyone been experiencing something similar?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750il Sport
    Ball joints.

Jack the car with both front wheels in the air and move the steering wheel from side to side. Shake the wheels with your hands, shake the suspension components behind the wheels. Watch what moves and what doesn't. After this, you will see exactly where your issue lies. My money is on the ball joints. How many miles are on it? I have about 100K and my ball joints are starting to go out. I'm planning to replace them this summer.

My Cars
    09 730d
    Quote Originally Posted by FlylowTX View Post
    Ball joints.

Jack the car with both front wheels in the air and move the steering wheel from side to side. Shake the wheels with your hands, shake the suspension components behind the wheels. Watch what moves and what doesn't. After this, you will see exactly where your issue lies. My money is on the ball joints. How many miles are on it? I have about 100K and my ball joints are starting to go out. I'm planning to replace them this summer.
    Thanks for replying!

I've been to numerous shops getting the suspension parts checked but nobody are able to find any movement what so ever. I've replaced the thrust arm bushings and had two wheel alignements, made no difference. I've also had it up on a lift together with a mechanic friend, there is no slack or movement anywhere.. Starting to think it's the steering rack, but still, there's absolutely no play in it either.

It's done 77k miles.

Completely lost here, and about to give up on it. Don't really want to replace everything in the front suspension including the steering rack, when we don't know the culprit. Steering rack replacement alone is like 4-5 grand easy, with a new one of course and labor..