Thread: Newbie here! 1998 z3 - bmw e36 z3 a - best updates for low $$

My Cars
    1998 Z3 ROADSTER 1.9

Question Newbie here! 1998 z3 - bmw e36 z3 a - best updates for low $$

Good Afternoon

My Dad recently aquired this cool car and I was hoping to help him out with some updates. We are not mechanics to say the least but would love to do some DIY projects here. I have some close friends who are always well versed across the board but they are busy as everyone is.

Everything looks pretty stock from the intiial make it seems

1. For one the Stereo/Speaker system is in need a a replacement. Im getting a crackling on and off from the passenger rear it sounds like. Any suggestions?

2. The beige leather is nice but there is one spot that needs at least a patching or filler. Best brands?

3. Check Engine light is on and the dealership said they dont see anything wrong. Who knows if thats honest. I plan to get some help from my friend to diagnos but thought Id ask here as well

4. The passenger door hand has pulled off. Best way to rengage that and secure for future?

5. The center consoles seems ot have lifted and not attahed anymore. Any recommendations to fix that or are there any other consoles that fit and work a bit better? The cup holders on the original are quite small

6. Lastly the car seems to rumble while Idol and gear changes low sometimes seem a litle rough. What are some things to help the engine stay healthy that is specific to this make and model?

Thanks for the help. Any and all welcome!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Welcome, you can use the search option in the top left of the screen. Lots of info that has been discussed before, take advantage of it. One of the very first things you want to do is make sure, if it hasn't been done already, that the cooling system gets refreshed. Lot's of post on that subject. Rear subframe bushings will need to be addressed. Remember all the plastic cooling parts and bushings are 20+ years old. Do a lot of reading on the forum and learn all you can. They are great little fun cars for sure. Good luck.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Welcome. Few educated guesses below, but need more info...
    1. Likely a speaker or perhaps an amp that is on it last legs.
    2. I had very good results with https://leatherworldtech.com/ - they even have BMW colors mixed using original BMW formulas.
    3. Get codes read with a proper scanner. If the light is on, BMW computer WILL have a code stored which should tell you where to dig.
    4. Search. Common issue. Need to take door card and fix.
    5. Same as above, only not really common.
    6. Need more info, but might be related to that check engine light. Idle control valve, perhaps cam position sensor - hard to say without codes.

Good luck with her.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1998 Z3 ROADSTER 1.9
    Thank you all. I will read up for sure.

Much appreciated

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by MMINNAERT View Post
    Good Afternoon

3. Check Engine light is on and the dealership said they dont see anything wrong. Who knows if thats honest.
    Step 1: Don't ever go to that dealership again. I can read codes in my garage with an old Windows XP laptop, the dealer can do it with their $100K computer...
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    No wonder dealerships get bad reputations.

My Cars
    z3
    Dealerships are only good at one thing

(I still don't know what that thing is, but surely they must be good at something because how else would they stay in business?)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I do think dealerships are going to be forced to change.
    Screenshot_20220516-230711_Chrome.jpg

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    I have been to plenty of dealerships over the years, both for buying cars, having cars serviced and buying parts.

There are a few good ones mixed in. Most are sh!tty.

Bringing a car there though .... with a check engine light on .... and the answer being "uh, we don't see anything wrong boss!" - That's next-level sh!tty.

Anyways.... maintenance.... replace the wear items ... the rubber bushings ... the vacuum hoses .... that's what you wanna do to this car. Search the forums, look at the sticky threads at the top of the page. You won't be bored.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    A new clutch master to slave line is a must if it hasn’t been done already. That will have a huge effect on shifting especially if it gets worse with repeated use.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    A new clutch master to slave line is a must if it hasn’t been done already. That will have a huge effect on shifting especially if it gets worse with repeated use.
    Aside from the cooling refresh, this is a worthwhile upgrade due to the aging OE line.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    1998 BMW M Roadster
    Had the same radio/sound issue with my '98 Z3M>a simple potential solution is simply removing the center rear 'woofer' enclosure (see instructions for this online or on this forum - forget where I read the 'how-to', but don't break the plastic clips) - and stuffing some loose insulation behind the speaker and reinstall. No more crackling, and hopefully you have a few old cassettes kicking around if the cassette player still works!

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Dealerships are only good at one thing

(I still don't know what that thing is, but surely they must be good at something because how else would they stay in business?)
    I would say warranty service, but considering independent mechanics can do that instead..