Thread: How stupid would it be to buy a 535 wagon with around 100k miles?

My Cars
    e30

How stupid would it be to buy a 535 wagon with around 100k miles?

Im thinking this is the worse possible milage to get one at since the turbos last 60k or so.
    Iv been working on bimmers my whole life but am not super good like doing a clutch. Would it be hard to change out the turbo? Im also concerned about the WG. I have an option to also buy a 528 which at that milage seems like a better idea, but I do love working on bimmers.
    I dont drive much, maybe 5,000 miles or less a year, sounds crazy but true.

NA or Turbo?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    They are fantastic cars. Had my 2008 from 2011-2021. Gave it to a friend but still maintain it. I changed the original turbos as preventative maintenance at 150k miles. The turbos were fine but there had been slight wastegate rattle for a few years when cold. I had tightened the WG previously and that helped. A set of rebuilt turbos with install kit was was about $1100. Installation is a pain — the axle has to come out and the subframe gets dropped. I did rod bearings and oil pan gasket since I was pretty much in there. Motor mounts, turbo oil and feed lines, water pump and thermostat — anything that makes sense to do while the car is apart so I did not have to repeat the labor anytime soon.

Changing all the fluids is also a good idea and I had done it at 90K and did it again. Trans, diff, coolant, brake, front diff, etc. I changed the mechatronic sleeve at 90k when I pulled the trans pan. If you don’t maintain these trans, the failure can be expensive. So expensive you might dump the car.

Oil leaks are another problem. But you can change the oil cooler line and the oil filter housing gaskets.

Great for an advanced DIYer. Not so great at 12-14 years age for someone paying a shop. The car may look great, seem to drive fine, and seem to be priced cheap. But it could need $5k worth of work. Sunroof can also leak and damage modules in the spare tire well. That sucked. But there is a relatively simple preventative maintenance fix.

A manual trans car with naturally aspirated N52 is probably the simplest and most reliable but you have to go back to around 2010. Maybe X3 or 3 series wagon? Boring to me but fine for some. I liked that twin turbo N54. Had a JB4 on it for a bit more power.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 05-12-2022 at 11:38 AM.

My Cars
    e30
    Yea the twin turbo would be nice. I can drop a subframe and getting in there would be a bitch, I have dirt to work on. Kinda why Im wanting the NA 6.
    But my guy at auction sees the 535 wagons go for sale more and finding a n52 is harder ironically.
    Do you have manual? Killer, but my only option is auto for a wagon. Tranny is a good thing to mention. Th variety of things that could go wrong makes one think the turbo is a gamble. I would have no previous owner info. Oil housing filter gasket I did that on my 330i, annoying, but necessary. That would eat you up at the shop in terms of money.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have auto but a few manuals were made and a few people have converted autos to manuals using salvage parts. Turbos use heavier duty manual trans. 535xi are probably cheap at auction because they need $5k of work. Hopefully more than half of that is labor that you can do. Once sorted out, you will love it. Look up sunroof drains. Whatever e61 you buy you want to do this right away — cleaning front and rear drains and installing larger hose for the rears.

If turbo, replace the U shaped oil cooler hose and cooler to filter housing gaskets right away. The profile gasket against the block is not as much of a problem. Oil pan gasket is a pain but makes sense to do when changing turbos and oil drain/feed/water lines. Definitely less to do on naturally aspirated 6 but they aren’t as much fun.