Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug DeMuro - E36 M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Doug DeMuro - E36 M3

Nice car, and it’s currently for sale on Cars and Bids.

https://youtu.be/rkXorce1YT4

But listening to Doug DeMuro review a car is pretty annoying.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3Le...6-bmw-m3-coupe

-rb

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    He's a colossal douche. (but that's his thing, and he makes money with it...) So was it me, or was that 96 having the 97+ 3 spoke wheel, and some weird icon in the cluster that I've never seen... A red clock looking thing above the service lights?
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    He's a colossal douche.
    ^^^^^^^+1

I did not want to give him anymore views but I did watch it the other day to see how bad it was going to be.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    pass... him and Matt Farah are painful to watch, even worse to listen to.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Clicked the post for the comments. Wasn't disappointed.

10/10 would read again.

The used E36 (and most car) market is crazy right now. So many cars with owners looking to cash out. I'm super curious if things are going to stabilize or if this is just the new normal.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    I've purposely never watched any of his videos before. I struggled to get through this ONE. Now YouTube is suggesting Doug DeMuro videos on every page. Damn it... time to clear the browser cache.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    How great of him to make a video praising a non-US market E36 M3. It's like when Car and Driver does an article on a fantastic european only car and then finishes with the line "...that we'll never see stateside."

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post

10/10 would read again.

I went easy on him;
    Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 8.37.35 AM.png

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post

10/10 would read again.

The used E36 (and most car) market is crazy right now. So many cars with owners looking to cash out. I'm super curious if things are going to stabilize or if this is just the new normal.
    from looking at my investments, and speaking to others about them the buyers of these cars are going to be jumping off bridges soon, so I think they will definitely be dropping in the near future. I think the best ones will continue to stay high, but the common scum like us are going to need to think a lot harder about spending.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    from looking at my investments, and speaking to others about them the buyers of these cars are going to be jumping off bridges soon, so I think they will definitely be dropping in the near future. I think the best ones will continue to stay high, but the common scum like us are going to need to think a lot harder about spending.
    My 98 restore/build was temporarily put on hold recently due to money going into home renovations, anniversary trip etc. I have already spent a lot of time and money on it so I won't be selling it anytime soon. I am just glad that I picked it up at the beginning of last year before prices really took off. I probably wouldn't have bought it at the current prices and would have just waited and hoped that the market would level out a bit, which it probably will at some point in the near future.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Well, I'm already sad that these cars are so expensive now. This is likely my first and last E36, unfortunately. I liked them when they were cheap and plentiful but as an agnostic car enthusiast I'll likely end up with something else.

For the die hard E36 fans, I have my fingers crossed for you that the cars become reasonably priced once again but I agree with the overall sentiment - pristine models will be unaffordable and shitboxes will be overpriced.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Geez... at least get the numbers right. Was it really easier to say 285 hp and 320 hp instead of 286 hp and 321?

And man, please - do your hair. It doesn't need to be so blatantly obvious you didn't get up in time. Maybe I'm just an "old" who's out of touch - are rooster tails suddenly in style?

He had a ratty one at one point in his life and - no surprise - he hated it. I'm not surprised he had a big list of "quirks" as he likes to call them.

Also, I'd delete it from your watch history in YouTube. That'll do more than clearing your browser cache (not that I wouldn't do both).

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    ...A red clock looking thing above the service lights?
    That's the biennial indicator for brake fluid change. As I understand, this is not coded in US-spec clusters. Hence you've never seen it.

I like Doug. He's become a millionaire for being quirky, including all the mistakes. He knows it. Easy to produce, no fancy hitech cams and stuff and no weeks of post production and editing. Brilliant.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinwei฿ III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    98 M3
    He started as a millionaire. That's why he had the time and resources to put his channel together.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    He started as a millionaire. That's why he had the time and resources to put his channel together.
    I used to know the whole story. He was on GTplanet WAAAAAAAYYYY back in the day - early 00s - and told me about it over email on an account Yahoo sunsetted a decade ago. There was something about an accident and settlement with a NYC garbage truck and a subsequent oil well.

No idea how much of that was true, but he seemed to have more time to spare than the rest of us 20-somethings working our first job or two out of college. Which the money easily explains (though rich parents also easily explain that, too).

It reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

"How do you make a small fortune racing?"

"Start with a LARGE fortune..."

[Edit]

Well look at that - look what the internet served up:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../122775/page1/

"Semi-interesting story:From about 2002 to 2010, I was an administrator at a very large forum dedicated to the Gran Turismo series and other automotive topics. Doug DeMuro got his start there as a geeky adolescent. He was always entertaining, but he made up this berking huuuuuge fabricated backstory about having been involved in a road rage incident involving an NYC garbage truck that deliberately rammed him, and how he was badly injured and won a hefty settlement. He then proceeded to fabricate a long series of stories about buying and selling a bunch of interesting and iconic cars.
    Eventually he got caught out on it. Turns out he's really just a rich white kid from the Near South somewhere whose parents are lawyers of some type."
    Last edited by blckstrm; 05-11-2022 at 03:44 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Doug made it big time when he got to review Jay Leno’s McLaren F1. Jay wouldn’t let him drive it though. I guess Jay doesn’t trust many people enough to let them drive his $20M+ F1.

-rb

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    He already was? Hmm didn't catch that. From previous jobs or lottery?

IG:

My Cars
    98 M3
    The lottery of having rich parents, like 99% of successful Americans.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    I don't think the garbage truck / oil well part of the story was a lie.

He may have stretched the truth about cars he owned vs borrowed from rich acquaintances for the purpose of reviewing them, but the rich lawyer parents and the garbage truck lawsuit - if true - would be an easy explanation.

Because that's how the rich parent thing usually works - they set you up with assets that you own vs just giving you money. It doesn't look like you're just living off your parents, but they're the ones who set you up.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    The lottery of having rich parents, like 99% of successful Americans.
    This seems to be the way of things.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    If that is true he is quite the revisionist of his own history from rags to riches:

https://youtu.be/GAYfAjiVH84

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Doug DeMuro - E36 M3

Doug did a video reviewing HIS new (to him) Ford GT (2004-2006 edition), so he was able to afford one of those just a few years ago.

-rb

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Seems like a nice enough guy. I spend more time driving than listening to other people talk to me about cars, so his content isn't for me I guess.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Hmm ��

IG:

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Met Doug a few times over the years at the local Cars and Coffee. Always found him to be a gracious and knowledgeable and a good chat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast