Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doug DeMuro - E36 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Does the Doug DeMuro effect exist? Was there a spike in E36 demand after the video?

My Cars
    1996 LS M3 2019 Mini JCW
    I like Doug Demuro and Matt Farah. Farah really doesn't have any love for the e36M3 based upon his podcast comments. The recent stock market meltdown is looking like its impacting the prices. Both BAT and Cars and Bids recent sales appear to not bringing the same level of excitement or dollars. Let's see if it last. Here are 3 examples the first two are Euro /ROW models and the last is a low mileage sedan in perfect shape that did not sell. I think its safe to say all of us e36 M3 owners like the car both US and Euro models
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3Le...6-bmw-m3-coupe Bid to $38,250 (Did not sell) https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rby...4-bmw-m3-coupe a Japanese Spec Sold for $35,250 https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-bmw-m3-254/ Low Mileage sedan $38K Reserve not met

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    That blue Japanese spec 1994 one...I'm used to pfl models with 97+ kidneys fitted, but a 1994 pfl with 97+ side markers, not so much.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    That blue Japanese spec 1994 one...I'm used to pfl models with 97+ kidneys fitted, but a 1994 pfl with 97+ side markers, not so much.
    That's exactly what I plan to do with mine... I don't like the rounded kidneys. Backdate cuz I wanna
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1998 e36
    DeMuro is great, I like the fact that he does not want to show any custom modified cars on his channel, he likes them bone stock.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Doug himself is still bone stock.

IG:

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    That's exactly what I plan to do with mine... I don't like the rounded kidneys. Backdate cuz I wanna

What you plan is not one of the two issues I described.

IG:

My Cars
    yay
    Cant stand him; not giving him a view.

Hasn't been one decent review yet. Even the Hagerty one was off base.
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post
    Cant stand him; not giving him a view.

Hasn't been one decent review yet. Even the Hagerty one was off base.
    I can say that about so many channels I follow. YT algorithm has them making do stupid things. It's all about the views and subs.

That constant begging for it is getting old fast.

IG:

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I remember when Farah first reviewed the Corvette C8. He said it suffered from massive understeer. and when you watch the video, it's clear he was simply overdriving corner entry in a mid engine car. He's a ham fisted hack, that refused to change his driving "style" to suit vehicle dynamics. After owning a C8 for over a year, and 6,000 miles, he's dead wrong.. No, you can't drive it like a hack, but it's beautifully balanced. Far better than the C7 it replaced. It might be the best car I've ever driven.. Especially when you consider price. You have to spend at least $150,000 to get a P car that's faster with comparable options.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    from looking at my investments, and speaking to others about them the buyers of these cars are going to be jumping off bridges soon, so I think they will definitely be dropping in the near future. I think the best ones will continue to stay high, but the common scum like us are going to need to think a lot harder about spending.
    They will go up and down, and surely a correction is in order. My car about doubled in value in a few years. But then consider the fact that manual, natural aspirated, rear-wheel drive cars are all but extinct. Not to mention the other merits of this car being from before the digital age. Two with 70 and 80 thousand miles just sold for around 30k each on BaT.

As for the video, I was turned off as soon as I saw the title. "Now" the e36 is a favorite? Hasn't it always been? When was the e36 not a track day staple? None of these guys are real journalists, drivers, mechanics, or anything of the sort. They are youtubers, and I certainly mean that derisively.
    Last edited by Steve1998; 05-16-2022 at 12:00 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    I can say that about so many channels I follow. YT algorithm has them making do stupid things. It's all about the views and subs.

That constant begging for it is getting old fast.
    Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe guys! And check out my Patreon for exclusive content!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    Well, I'm already sad that these cars are so expensive now. This is likely my first and last E36, unfortunately. I liked them when they were cheap and plentiful but as an agnostic car enthusiast I'll likely end up with something else.

For the die hard E36 fans, I have my fingers crossed for you that the cars become reasonably priced once again but I agree with the overall sentiment - pristine models will be unaffordable and shitboxes will be overpriced.

just found this thread.......well said

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    I remember when Farah first reviewed the Corvette C8. He said it suffered from massive understeer. and when you watch the video, it's clear he was simply overdriving corner entry in a mid engine car. He's a ham fisted hack, that refused to change his driving "style" to suit vehicle dynamics. After owning a C8 for over a year, and 6,000 miles, he's dead wrong.. No, you can't drive it like a hack, but it's beautifully balanced. Far better than the C7 it replaced. It might be the best car I've ever driven.. Especially when you consider price. You have to spend at least $150,000 to get a P car that's faster with comparable options.
    but the interiors are just brutally horrible

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    just found this thread.......well said

- - - Updated - - -

but the interiors are just brutally horrible
    Calling any interior "brutally horrible" on an E36 forum is pretty rich haha.

My Cars
    97 M3
    This problem of surface-level information being paralyed into a "review" is additionally prevalent in the tech review space.

He seems to have complained about the mirrors. Did he complain about the "light" steering as well? I'm not giving him any views.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoody View Post
    This problem of surface-level information being paralyed into a "review" is additionally prevalent in the tech review space.

He seems to have complained about the mirrors. Did he complain about the "light" steering as well? I'm not giving him any views.
    Light steering? The M3 has a restrictor in the PS line to make it heavier than compared to something like an E46 3-series. I'm not sure what you mean. It's neither light nor heavy.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Light steering? The M3 has a restrictor in the PS line to make it heavier than compared to something like an E46 3-series. I'm not sure what you mean. It's neither light nor heavy.
    Oh, it's heavy - my wife called me after 1) getting a new car and 2) not driving my car for a while, and she told me my power steering died. I just laughed - but yeah, it's objectively heavier than almost anything else I've driven with power power steering. Again - I wouldn't have it any other way.

Compare this "surface-level-information-cum review" with this... ode to the E39 M5: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000562277225

By the way, who knew Malcolm Gladwell was an E39 M5 driver?

I love the way they dive into this. I also feel like most of the praise they lavish on the e39 M5 is turned up to 11 on an E36 M3 (with the exception of drive-to-the-opera performance - and happy to give that up!).

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Which line has the restrictor in it? I replaced my reservoir and all lines with the Chase Bays power steering kit and cooler.

https://www.chasebays.com/products/c...-e36-w-s50-s52

I didn’t notice any difference in steering weight, but I do hear a little more power steering pump noise occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    Which line has the restrictor in it? I replaced my reservoir and all lines with the Chase Bays power steering kit and cooler.

https://www.chasebays.com/products/c...-e36-w-s50-s52

I didn’t notice any difference in steering weight, but I do hear a little more power steering pump noise occasionally.

Chase Bays' reservoir has the restrictor built in.

Our reservoir design is engineered to slow down the flow of fluid without causing aeration or spillover through the cap vent. BMW implemented the inline restrictor in the return hose as a patch or afterthought. With track abuse the stock system aerated and pushed fluid through the cap vent so when production started they pushed an inline restrictor in and called it a day.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Removal of the restrictor lightens the steering. They are missing a detail.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Removal of the restrictor lightens the steering. They are missing a detail.
    I just read through the Chase Bays description, and they perform the restrictor function in the reservoir, not in a line. So there is a restrictor still in the path.

My Cars
    97 M3
    A common complaint about the E36 (incl. M3) that I have seen in reviews and heard in person is that the E36 power steering is "too light" in retrospective comparison with modern sporty power steering, which I find to be heavy merely for the sake of being heavy in order to placate customers who have the misguided notion that "heavy steering = sporty steering".
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12