Thread: Areomotive Fuel pressure spike issue at idle.

My Cars
    1990 325i

Areomotive Fuel pressure spike issue at idle.

Hey I currently have Aeromotive A1000-6 fuel pressure regulator. My issue is when car is running at idle fuel pressure sits at 75psi no matter how I adjust the diaphragm adjustment screw. I will be smoke testing car car later today to see if I missed anything My set up is 1990 OBD2 converted 9:1 s50b30 with ID 1300 CC injectors, PTE 6466, Walbro 525 Hell cat pump, and 22RPD e85 tune. Using RallyRoad -8an feed to -6an return to factory -6an ID hardline. My regulator vacuum source is from factory intake manifold port and is secured. Only other thing tapped into the intake manifold is 3/8 NPT going to vibrant vacuum block and is sealed with hondabond and permatex PTFE thread sealant, and was smoke tested 24hr leak free before being put on the car.

Has anyone had issues setting base fuel pressure (51psi) with Areomotive regulators with the engine running?
    I'd like to get some input here before I go out and buy another regulator this week.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by E30s50dude View Post
    Hey I currently have Aeromotive A1000-6 fuel pressure regulator. My issue is when car is running at idle fuel pressure sits at 75psi no matter how I adjust the diaphragm adjustment screw. I will be smoke testing car car later today to see if I missed anything My set up is 1990 OBD2 converted 9:1 s50b30 with ID 1300 CC injectors, PTE 6466, Walbro 525 Hell cat pump, and 22RPD e85 tune. Using RallyRoad -8an feed to -6an return to factory -6an ID hardline. My regulator vacuum source is from factory intake manifold port and is secured. Only other thing tapped into the intake manifold is 3/8 NPT going to vibrant vacuum block and is sealed with hondabond and permatex PTFE thread sealant, and was smoke tested 24hr leak free before being put on the car.

Has anyone had issues setting base fuel pressure (51psi) with Areomotive regulators with the engine running?
    I'd like to get some input here before I go out and buy another regulator this week.
    Yes, I don't use those FPR's any more. Sending you a pm. I have run two of those pumps at idle with new issues with the new setup.

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    Yes, I don't use those FPR's any more. Sending you a pm. I have run two of those pumps at idle with new issues with the new setup.

Email sent.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I had no issues with this regulator when I used it. I have heard anecdotes about them having QC issues but the issues I'm aware of would result in pressure not holding. I'd debug your return line first, maybe do a quick test with a fresh line dumping straight off the regulator into a fuel jug. If the problem persists then it's your regulator.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Many of us have used the 13109 without issue. In fact many of us bought it after overrunning the stock regulator at idle with bigger pumps. But I don’t have experience with the 525 pump. Obviously at idle you are bypassing most of the fuel.

There are reportedly counterfeits. If the OP is sure it is plumbed correctly, maybe it is defective or fake since it should’ve able to handle a 525 LPH pump.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 05-16-2022 at 02:00 PM.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    In my personal experience - the restriction in the return line is the suction jet on the return that causes high FP at idle and low load situations. I added a (non-prioritized) bypass to the return and FP was rock solid after that.

My Cars
    1990 325i
    I ended up bypassing my flex fuel sensor and my FP at idle was still high with no room for adjustment I went with a bigger areomotive with the advice from Lux Fab that uses -8orb ID instead of -6an orb FPR and flex fuel sensor flow bypass from Radium. just waiting on a plug on one side of the FPR but should be in today. I'll give a flow up after everything is finalized tonight.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    -6 is more than enough to return

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Did you eliminate your return line as a problem, having the regulator dump into a jug? Did you try a different pressure sender/gauge? I'm all for buying parts for its own sake but as far as debugging, based on what you've said, you have a lot more low hanging fruit to try first.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    Did you eliminate your return line as a problem, having the regulator dump into a jug? Did you try a different pressure sender/gauge? I'm all for buying parts for its own sake but as far as debugging, based on what you've said, you have a lot more low hanging fruit to try first.
    I just had this happen with a Hellcat Pump in an otherwise stock E46 M3 Fuel System. Used the stock return line, and no bypass. This is what I did to fix it.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    In my personal experience - the restriction in the return line is the suction jet on the return that causes high FP at idle and low load situations. I added a (non-prioritized) bypass to the return and FP was rock solid after that.
    Ultimately this may be necessary, as was the case with my deal, and made him aware of the return line. The bypass at the flex sensor is a must.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I just had this happen with a Hellcat Pump in an otherwise stock E46 M3 Fuel System. Used the stock return line, and no bypass. This is what I did to fix it.
    It's just a simple problem to diagnose before buying parts. It would be great if it fixes the problem but I would first want to know what it is.

My Cars
    none
    It's just a simple problem to diagnose before buying parts. It would be great if it fixes the problem but I would first want to know what it is.
    When talking to the guy and his setup and what he wants to do with the car, the regulator is much better suited for the application regardless. He said it's got a -6 line back to the tank and that should be sufficient. I told him before and reminded him again that you would want to run the return line to a bucket, turn the pump on and, check the pressure again. Not sure what else you would want to know as that covers it.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I told him before and reminded him again that you would want to run the return line to a bucket, turn the pump on and, check the pressure again. Not sure what else you would want to know as that covers it.
    Yeah it would cover it if he actually did this, and the post just says he bypassed the flex sensor and then ordered a new regulator. And he doesn't say he has a -6 line back to the tank, but "factory -6an ID hardline", ie stock line, which is not -6. Not that it matters because if it's not restricted somewhere it's not going to be the problem.

My Cars
    none
    Yeah it would cover it if he actually did this, and the post just says he bypassed the flex sensor and then ordered a new regulator. And he doesn't say he has a -6 line back to the tank, but "factory -6an ID hardline", ie stock line, which is not -6. Not that it matters because if it's not restricted somewhere it's not going to be the problem.
    Yup, agreed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I had to do one small modification as I noted above to use 100% completely stock lines with a 525/Hellcat pump without any type of pressure issue anymore (I did have an AEM regulator which for the longest time I thought was also an issue, it wasn't). I stumbled upon it by accident chasing my issue of high FP at idle/part load when my suction jet had fallen off/apart once in the tank (unclipped itself) and the pressure issue went away completely and FP was rock solid.

$4 fix:

FP-fix.jpg

My Cars
    1990 325i
    I ran my FPR to a jug and was able to adjust FP at that point. When it was hooked up to my bypass going into my factory return line which is a hardline not -6an but close in ID (sorry for the confusion) I still had high fuel pressure spike. After speaking with Colby I will be splitting my return line into a Y like the pic's shown above in order to bleed of the excess fuel pressure going back into the top of my gas tank or fuel pump hanger in order to remedy this. should have results by the end of this week if the weather holds up.

My Cars
    none
    Next it will be ready for ProEFI and a second hellcat pump

My Cars
    '99 M3
    I run 2 Walbro 485's(active/active) and use a -6an return with the Aeromotive unit. Never had a problem.
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Just wanted to update here. I was able to fix my issue with the help of suggestions above by splitting my return line using a 4an bulkhead fitting to the top of my gas tank. My new return set up is now -6an PTFE to a Y fitting that goes to -4an top of fuel tank and 3/8 EZ street soft line back to factory return port on bottom of fuel tank. Thank you all for the help hope to see some people at M Pact this year.