Thread: Possible PCV Valve Failure?

My Cars
    None

Possible PCV Valve Failure?

I believe I have a PCV Valve failure on my 2011 E90 (99,000) miles. The problem started completely randomly, loud screaming noise which I thought was the belt at first. After doing some research I removed the oil fill cap and the sound went away, this seemed to point to it being the PCV Valve which means the entire valve cover needs replaced. I let the car sit for a couple weeks and started it up the other day, no screeching but really rough fluctuating idle and a service engine light is on. I also got a message in the mail talking about a PCV Valve heater being recalled. I have noticed the engine bay has been extra hot lately as I walk by after driving with some steam (maybe light smoke) during the cold winter, don't know if these parts are related to each other when failure occurs. I don't believe but was wondering if the Valve Cover would be replaced during the PCV Valve heater replacement.

Also, I am assuming this is would be around 1200$ to replace a Valve cover at a shop. How feasible of a job is it on your own? Also haven't had a diagnostic done so not 100% sure it is the PCV Valve that failed. I just made the educated guess based on all the factors.

My car sounded exactly like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmsY0FwrCnc

Heres the Recall:
    0c67c0df1cbf11ca0be5d12bfa79fbe3.jpg

UPDATE: Shop said vvt solenoids were definitely bad and quoted 580$, said this was definitely the issue and would be good after that. Got the vanos solenoids replaced the shop was adamant they were the issue, brother went and got my car back, half way home idle issue still present, shut it off in my driveway. Would not turn on, just constant crank. Shop gave full refund, and now says its the timing belt and I need to see a shop who works directly on European cars. Thoughts on this?
    Last edited by LanceC29; 05-05-2022 at 11:02 AM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 540i
    Have you ran a scanner to see if you have any codes stored?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 BMW 540i
    When I had that similar sound coming out of my PCV area in the valve cover I also had hard starts and it turn out to be the crankcase sensor, after replacing that , engine returned to being smooth as a butter and the annoying noise disappeared. Inpa showed the sensor being bad as well.

My Cars
    None
    Sorry for late reply, I took it to a local shop for a diagnostic and they just got back saying it definitely has bad vvt solenoids but could need more work done as there are other codes but they could be related to the solenoids. Any thoughts?

Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Printer.pdf

My Cars
    '97 BMW 540i
    You attached an invoice for labor. Is that a reputable shop to work on bimmers?

Timing belt now, these cars have chains and I don’t recall they break that often.

Can you post the codes stored or google them yourself as to what they are. Don’t be throwing $$$$ trying to guess the issue.