Thread: N62 Tuning ME9.2

My Cars
    z3

N62 Tuning ME9.2

Does anyone offer performance tuning for the N62?

Or even beyond the scope of normal tuning - I have been pondering the idea of building a 4.7L N62 using a 4.8 crank in a 4.4 block. Using the Alpina H1 block (which is supposedly different and stronger than the standard 4.4 block) paired with the 4.8 crank and connecting rods (which BMW says are stronger as well) to make a ~4.7L H1

Is there anyone who works on these engines or DME's in this manner? I know they are extremely unpopular in the aftermarket community, but I like the engine and would like to expand the limits on what can be done to these engines, however I don't know anything about tuning myself really

Alternatively - is there somewhere I can start learning this stuff myself? Feels like all the information on how to tune these engines is locked behind iron clad doors, accessible only by those "in the know"

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2009 550I Sport Package
    The block is the same as the 4.8 Alpina just stamps their part number on it, the crank is stronger in the Alpina.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... -- WOW-- What a Ride!" [author unknown]

My Cars
    z3
    The Alpina engine was based on a 4.4 so is a 92mm bore block, the 4.8 uses a 93mm bore block. Same block architecture but the 4.8 is bored. And yes as you mention I have had confirmation recently that Alpina used a standard 4.4 block, they only changed the rotating assembly including pistons, to lower compression slightly and add strength.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport

Alpina E65 B7 - H1/N62 block

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The Alpina engine was based on a 4.4 so is a 92mm bore block, the 4.8 uses a 93mm bore block. Same block architecture but the 4.8 is bored. And yes as you mention I have had confirmation recently that Alpina used a standard 4.4 block, they only changed the rotating assembly including pistons, to lower compression slightly and add strength.
    The Alpina B7 engine block is the same as the N62B44 block, with the exception of lower compression pistons, which are 9,0:1. So, couldn't you swap in a BMW N62B48 block with the larger 93mm bore, with the Alpina H1 forged crankshaft (82.7mm), and eight (8) custom CP-Carrillo forged pistons that are 93mm bore (can range from 92mm to 94.0mm) and set at a compression of 10,1:0 (can range from 8.5,1:0 to 11,1:0) from VAC Motorsports to raise the total displacement to 4.5L? I calculated the engine power and torque output to be around 534 HP and 547 ft-lb TRQ.

Or just swap in an used N64B48 block with lower compression, 93mm CP-Carrillo forged pistons (9,1:0 to 10,1:0 compression) and the standard BMW 4.8L crankshaft, combined with the ASA-centrifugal supercharger, which would be just a supercharged BMW N62B48 engine block to make around: 556HP and 572 ft-lb TRQ, instead of the Alpina H1 4.4L engine block (with Alpina forged crankshaft and ASA supercharger) that gives an output of 523 HP and 535 ft-lb TRQ.

My Cars
    z3
    There are lots of possibilities on how to mix and match parts to build a different variation of the N62, but if nobody can tune it properly then I'm not going to start fiddling. The Valvetronic system in particular in the N62 seems to be a major roadblock for tuners. And there is very low demand for DME tunes for these engines so tuners have really no reason to try to learn how to tune the DME. Thus this thread...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2006 750I sports package

Hi I might be in the wrong section

There are lots of possibilities on how to mix and match parts to build a different variation of the N62, but if nobody can tune it properly then I'm not going to start fiddling. The Valvetronic system in particular in the N62 seems to be a major roadblock for tuners. And there is very low demand for DME tunes for these engines so tuners have really no reason to try to learn how to tune the DME. Thus this thread...

But you guys seem too know the n62 pretty well I bought 06 750i when I got the car it came with some issues needs a hood front fender it's got electrical problems draining the battery and when it started it would only run a few seconds and die and too get it too start took some effort it thru a code for camshaft sensor bank 1 so. I bought a few cheap ones to test with as well as swapping from bank 1 to bank 2 and they had good reviews any ways while waiting for them to come I took out the old ones inspected wires and cleaned up the original cs sensors pot them back in car ran longer this time but rough still really rough I think I was able to get it to run 2 or 3 minutes each time so a let it sit waiting for cs sensors to get shipped and when I got them I was exited to see what would happen cranked it over starrer only cranked cpl seconds then stopped wouldn't crank again it acted like stuck Bendix to I banged on starter cpl times nothing then I tried
    To turn motor over. Via crank shaft couldn't get it too budge in frustration I said screw it I was going to try and rock it see if she woul. Break free reverse ratchet went to put everything I had into crankiness engine backwards and it turned with out issues so pulled of valve covers checked timing chains they looked good to I tried rotating engine the correct direction and it turn so I kept turning by hand and it finally hit that spot after 1 and a half full rotation and got stuck again this time I used cheater bar on and breaker bar with a good amount of force it went passed it and after a while it would just hang up a little here and there when turned by hand finally I checked timing bank 2 was off so I researched the correct way too time it timed it all good half way around turning by hand it froze up again and would budge thos time so curious I rotated engine backwards again 3 or 4 full rotations it was good but when I go the correct direction it locks up I was thinking bent valve but wouldn't that bind both directions

Any thoughts would be appreciated thank you

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i

Alternatively - is there somewhere I can start learning this stuff myself? Feels like all the information on how to tune these engines is locked behind iron clad doors, accessible only by those "in the know"
    As far as software tuning of an ICE, I started (among other things) with "Engine management : advanced tuning", by Greg Banish, who is an automotive engineer. It will give you a good understanding of how an ICE works (you don't need that) and how it is managed by its ECU, i.e. how all the "components" necessary to combustion come together, what sequence you need to follow when tuning each of them (fuel, intake/exhaust valve timing, ignition...), the do's and most importantly the dont's, etc.

You can also read this thread which is about detonation and pre-ignition (you guessed it : it's closely linked to the dont's : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...n-pre-ignition ).

Once you have a thorough understanding of these "rules", you need to research (and that's the most difficult part IMO) which (software) tools you need to use for a particular application (marque, ECU, TCU...)

Basically on a stock application (the engine that originally came with the car) you need a software to download and then upload (once modified) a partial file taken from the DME and a software to tune said file i.e. modify fueling/timing/ignition and may other parameters.

As far as hardware is concerned, you need a car battery tender, a reliable laptop and its charger, and the cable needed to connect your laptop to your diagnostic port.

P.S.: I like the N62 a lot as well (unique, "refined" V8 sound and power, unlike for e.g. AMG's M156 which is legendary but is too much "in your face" for my liking) and I even posted on the "General mechanical help" subforum about it, asking for your opinions as far as reliability is concerned and well, the valve stems seals issue more than any other has put me off, because I don't have half the tools needed for this complex job, and I wouldn't trust any of the mechanics I know to do it... it also probably is more that I can handle myself without losing sleep like a full week before getting started...
    Last edited by Breeze1; 01-16-2024 at 12:34 PM.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.