Thread: M30/M106 ECU Plug and Play Solutions

My Cars
    1984 745i

M30/M106 ECU Plug and Play Solutions

For those looking to doing a stock build, nothing better than this

Keeps the stock looking Motronic box and adds all the goodies inside for a stealth build...

See my friends store below:

https://www.pnpecu.com/pnpecu-e30-m3-pnp-433-p.asp

e30 m3.JPG

PNPECU has devoloped it´s own single box solution for the E30 M3 and incorporated the features and functionality that we believe every PnP should have and E30 M3 owners would like to have.

The E30 M3 is now a very rare and exclusive car and so any unnecessary and non-reversible modifications are often frowned upon. Our PNP requires no modifications that are not easily reversed.
    This PNPECU solution is based on Baldurs Control Systems LPC4 ECU. The PnP has been designed around the 35pin OEM DME connector pinout to interface with the engine and vehicle with additional functionality thanks to the LPC4.
    The Base map provided already has all inputs and outputs configured and so minimal setup should be required.
    PNPECU provides lifelong free setup support to the original buyer. If you are not the original buyer of the ECU and require setup support, please contact us.
    Contents :
    PNPECU E30 M3 ECU
    Fast acting air temp sensor
    Fast acting air temp sensor loom
    Auxiliary connectors and terminals (40 pin and 16pin)
    USB communications cable.
    Specifications
    Hardware specs 32 bit microcontroller
    6 dedicated injector outputs, 5A max current. Saturated (high-Z) injectors driven directly. Must use resistors for peak&hold (low-Z) injectors.
    4 dedicated ignition outputs. Logic level 5v output as well as low side driven IGBT outputs.
    8 extra outputs suitable for PWM idle control, fuel pump relay control, tachometer output, boost control and more.
    2 dedicated engine speed inputs, support logic level and some VR sensors as standard.
    2 extra inputs for road speed, turbocharger speed or frequency based MAF sensors. Can also be used as switch inputs
    1 dedicated active low switch input
    Built in 4000mbar MAP sensor with 4mm push-lock bulkhead fitting. Suitable for up to 3 bar boost at sea level. MAP can also be taken from an unused analog input and external sensor, freeing the internal sensor for barometric correction.
    3 extra 12 bit analog inputs, selectable as lambda inputs, external MAP sensor, active low switches, multiplexed switches and calibration switch
    CAN bus for interfacing with peripherals such as transmission control, dash displays, VGT actuators or sensor interfaces
    Native USB connection. No USB-232 converter or associated hassle.
    Data logging at over 50Hz standard via USB to computer running calibrator software
    8GB Internal data logging memory option on purchase time with real time clock for time stamping of log files. Up to 500Hz data logging rate. Versatile logging conditions and burst logging.
    Operating temperature range -40°C to 100°C. Recommended that ambient temperature in mounting location does not exceed 60°C
    ECU temperature sensor integrated
    2 years parts+labour warranty
    Unit may be returned for reconfiguration of purchase time options after purchase time
    Software feature highlights Advanced but ergonomic PC calibrator application.
    Fuelling and ignition maps with fully configurable dimensions up to 256 fields. (Can have for example 16 load breakpoints and 16 speed breakpoints, or 10 load breakpoints and 25 speed breakpoints)
    Individual injector fuelling variation based on engine speed and load (up to 256 fields).
    Individual cylinder spark timing variation based on speed and load (up to 256 fields) if cam sync present, up to 8 cylinders
    Turbo boost control for any PWM operated pressure or vacuum solenoid, wide frequency range. Suitable for wastegated as well as VGT turbochargers.
    Unused extra outputs can be programmed as on-off based on all running parameters
    Firmware field upgradable over USB. No special hardware required. Firmware updates free of charge, new features still being developed.
    Advanced launch control and traction control
    Short term fuel trims (closed loop lambda control)
    Long term fuel trims (automatic fine tuning of fuel map)
    Advanced nitrous oxide control strategy (2 stages, wet or dry, progressive PWM based on any parameter)
    Gear shift power reduction for clutched or clutchless upshifts
    Industry leading CAN bus implementation. Lets the tuner configure CAN bus broadcast packet content to match almost any target device.
    Up to 8 different calibrations for most major functions selectable using an external switch
    Vast array of error detection functions and engine protection parameters
    For further E30 M3 detailed information see the TECHNICAL DOCUMENT
    Last edited by BMWCCA; 04-27-2022 at 02:16 AM.

My Cars
    1984 745i
    This is the guy behind the Plug and Play Solutions, we did our MSc's together in 2010 @Oxford-Brooks University, incredibly talented and overall nice guy as well.

He is the guy you want doing the hardware and tuning on your engine, Gunni Reynisson, that's him below on the Valkyrie

starting-the-mule-at-mira_1_1.jpg

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...lkyrie-project
    Last edited by BMWCCA; 06-09-2022 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added pic

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Honest question but is this thread a scam? That ecu might work fine for e30 m3 with s14 but it has nothing to do with e23 745i or m106. Attached link states the ecu supports 4 injector outputs and 4 ignition outputs. You posted:
    6 dedicated injector outputs, 5A max current. Saturated (high-Z) injectors driven directly. Must use resistors for peak&hold (low-Z) injectors.
    4 dedicated ignition outputs. Logic level 5v output as well as low side driven IGBT outputs.
    What gives yo?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    86 ETA Sport 2.7i
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Honest question but is this thread a scam? That ecu might work fine for e30 m3 with s14 but it has nothing to do with e23 745i or m106. Attached link states the ecu supports 4 injector outputs and 4 ignition outputs. You posted:
    What gives yo?
    You haven't heard of GSTuning? (Gunnar's handle on forums)

No, not a scam. BMW (as well as Porsche, and many other European cars) used Motronic systems, and they are all the same hardware with different chips. Same with the later stuff. You can grab an ECU from an m30, put a chip from an m20 in it (or vice versa). I've even been inside the 944 ECU's and they are also identical, software is the difference (which also contains the AFM information).

Pretty well known in the ECU industry...

https://www.gstuning.net/index.php/en/en-menu-history

My Cars
    86 ETA Sport 2.7i
    Attached link states the ecu supports 4 injector outputs and 4 ignition outputs. You posted:
    What gives yo?
    Page 2 shows 6 drivers, 4 being used:

inj drivers.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wide Open Throttle Technologies, FL
    -John
    Instagram

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Not all hardware the same on Motronics of this era... a US M30 (059) vs ECE 10:1 (061) is missing the O2 feedback part of the stuff. Yes, chips swap fine. You can use an 061 in an 059 car but lose the O2 feedback. Never dicked with the other way as lean cruise is fine on an engine and my economy is greater anyway.

The 013 745i unit is quite odd due to a dual connector board with the EH trans and external KLR aka knock unit that must be in the loop or the car will not run due to shared data.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    86 ETA Sport 2.7i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Not all hardware the same on Motronics of this era... a US M30 (059) vs ECE 10:1 (061) is missing the O2 feedback part of the stuff. Yes, chips swap fine. You can use an 061 in an 059 car but lose the O2 feedback. Never dicked with the other way as lean cruise is fine on an engine and my economy is greater anyway.

The 013 745i unit is quite odd due to a dual connector board with the EH trans and external KLR aka knock unit that must be in the loop or the car will not run due to shared data.
    As you said, the DME's swap and you just lose a particular function on some. The late Porsche used peak and hold low z injectors, so obviously it's not a direct swap into a BMW without removing the peak and hold circuit. I have been burning chips and flashing ECU's for many years, been able to see the inner workings.

For the case of this thread using a PnP stand alone, the point is moot. As long as the adapter is made for any moving around of pins at the DME, then it will run the other cars just fine with little nuances (smart coils, low/high z inj etc). If you browse the pnpecu.com site, you will see that the same plug is used on the Siemens as the Motronic 3.x. Therefore if you were to purchase a wiring adapter from Gunnar, then he would change the internals of the break out box to compensate. A 1991 318is ECU will physically plug into a 1995 325is, but the pins were moved around, and software is obviously different.

I don't believe the OP is saying you can just grab any PnP and put it in any of the other cars that use similar protocols. I had a 944 in a while back and the client just REFUSED to add a trigger wheel since the WOLF stand alone really wasn't happy with the dual engine speed/reference combo. No matter how many filters and resistors I put in (with HOURS on the phone with the techs), finally got fed up and told owner we are installing an external reluctor, or he can send a tow for the car. Two days later the kit came in and the car was running within minutes. That actually has been a big hang up on a lot of PnP's for the early German stuff. I have an 85 635 here at work now, and will be the third one I swapped recently to the 87+ harness, just so I can use a MSPnP without a bunch of wire patching. I found out about this pnpecu kit AFTER starting the job, naturally. The 87+ parts are getting super hard to find and expensive. This car is getting an external reluctor, only because the late crank damper is unobtanium - and when you DO find one, they are $350 and rusted to high heaven.
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 06-29-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    Wide Open Throttle Technologies, FL
    -John
    Instagram

My Cars
    1984 745i
    What gives yo?
    Not a Scam in no way shape or form!

I posted a link to the E30M3 document as a *general* info.

He has built and sold to a 745i customer one of his PNP ECU kits, for your specific application just contact him.

I am very good friends with Gunni and I can assure you he is a genuine Professional with real Motorsport Experience of the highest caliber.