Thread: stereo upgrade - but specific

My Cars
    325ic

stereo upgrade - but specific

Recently I have been driving my old 1995 convertible a bit more than usual. And it's already getting hot in SoCal so the top is always off. I would like to upgrade the sound system because with the top down it's just not loud enough. But there are some things I want and some things I don't. I have the original system and have a six-CD player in the trunk. One thing I don't want is a non-matching aftermarket head unit up front. I like the way the original unit looks in the dash. I'm also perfectly happy with the sound quality. I don't want to play rap music or anything that requires huge bass speakers. In any case, the trunk in our convertibles is tiny enough that I don't want to put a subwoofer in there.

I really just want to be able to turn the volume up another 50 percent from what I have now, and I think the speakers I have (newish and decent quality replacements for the originals.) will handle a good bit more volume without distorting. So, is there a way to somehow maybe add an inline amplifier into the system? Or is there by any chance a newer BMW head unit that would a) put out substantially more power and b) also still control the CD-player in the trunk.

And if there is somewhere else I should be asking these questions, I'd appreciate the heads-up.

Dan

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    What original system do you have?

Harman/Kardon?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    I had similar goals... Stock head unit, more power, and also wanted USB/Aux, and Bluetooth.

For the latter I got rid of the CD changer, and replaced it with a Grom unit (which I stuffed behind the head unit and gained the extra trunk space. I still have this and I am happy with it.

My first step in improving the sound I picked up the Bavsound speakers (HK system so 10 new drivers) it was a good upgrade but they are definitely more expensive than they are really worth from a sound perspective but you are paying for the install simplicity.

Next step for me was to replace the HK sub with a tightly sealed box and a Pioneer flat piston 10" dual voice coil sub (the HK has dual voice coils so I wanted to stay simple for wiring) and a Rockford Fosgate Punch amp. I used the original subwoofer speaker wires to supply the signal to the Fosgate's high level inputs.

This was a very improved system... but I am never completely finished so I replaced the 6 front speakers with Morel Elate 503 seperates... This requires a bit of surgery but not too drastic.
    I did not want to use the passive x-overs so I added an AudioControl LC-6.1200 amplifier to power each front speaker with its own 125W channel. This was significantly more surgery because I wanted to maintain the speed sensitive volume so the amp gets signal from the HK amp's speaker outputs and provides the crossovers for each channel...

The amps, wiring, power distribution and fuses take up less space than the CD changer did so I have not really lost trunk space. My wind deflector in its bag still fits in the trunk.

I am not done yet... I want to remove the HK amp, and use an LC 4.800 to drive Morel 502s in the rear as an exact match to the front... but this project got put on the back burner while I had the Active Autowerke Level 3 supercharger installed LOL...

Did I mention there is no such thing as "finished" when it comes to upgrades and modifications of toys? 🤣

My Cars
    325ic
    I have the base system, not the Harmon Kardon.

My Cars
    '99 M3 vert, '07 X3
    Most of what I have done you can still do... Instead of the HK sub you probably have a ski pass through but it's the same opening with the same screw holes I believe... The amp for the base system is probably still behind the passenger rear seat back (right seat) and the speaker openings in back should be the same but the HK uses an adapter to get 5 inch separates in the place where the base has oval speakers.

In front, I had a 318is with the base system years ago and I am almost positive that the Nokia speakers in the doors are the same size as the HK mids but without a tweeter just below the mirrors? (same size woofer in the kick panel I think)

So aside from the number of wires most sound upgrades would be the same.

As with most hobbies you are limited only by budget and time LOL

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    The base system is just 6 speakers and no amp. I'm not sure this system was even offered in the US, which would mean your base system is our 'mid-tier' system, simply called "Hi-fi" system. 10 speakers, 200watt amp, no skipass sub.

I went from base 6-speaker, no amp to the H/K system and it was a very good update (given it's an old factory system). Thought the headunit is important as the older units have an output filter. H/K system with CD43 or BE2455 and you have a very good system for a stock setup.

IG:

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Here's an older setup I did some years ago. I started with an HK system so it won't directly apply but may give you some ideas. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ight=blaupunkt

Unfortunately, it looks like current Kenwood units no longer use a dot matrix display.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    325ic
    I meant "Base" in the sense of the most simple basic system. I did not know there was a specific option known the "base system". Anyway, the precise option I have is in my list of options and it is described as "676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM". Maybe, I dont even have an amplifier,just a head unit. Anyway, I want to add more volume and would be grateful for any help. I know nothing about this stuff.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by slamtry View Post
    I meant "Base" in the sense of the most simple basic system. I did not know there was a specific option known the "base system". Anyway, the precise option I have is in my list of options and it is described as "676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM". Maybe, I dont even have an amplifier,just a head unit. Anyway, I want to add more volume and would be grateful for any help. I know nothing about this stuff.
    So did I. I was just trying to find out if your (US spec) base system is the same as ours, so we are talking about the same components.

IG: