Thread: AWD/Diff issue

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330xi

AWD/Diff issue

So, I'm new to the world of German cars. I built a truck but that's about it. I got an AWD e90 as a fun learning experience, but the problems just keep popping up after I fix a previous one. The latest and greatest issue with the AWD system. I recently put staggered m parallels on (Not thinking that the offset weight would cause an issue) From there I got a buckling in the front from the Awd system thinking there is a traction issue because of the torque difference. I read that a fix for this was to drop the front drive shaft, essentially making an RWD car. Here's where the newest issue came about. I got everything out no problem, but after test driving, I noticed some issues. The car pulls harder and ever, but when I let off the accelerator there is a rapid and somewhat thumping and I cannot tell if it is from the front, rear, or possibly both differentials. The unique thing is it only happens when I'm completely off the pedal, even in the gray zone that doesn't really affect the speed of the car, the thumping goes away. 0% throttle and it thumps, 1% throttle and it's gone. Sorry if this is a lengthy post, just trying to provide as much context as possible.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    The issue wasn’t the offset weight but the difference in overall diameter. X drive can tolerate a maximum of 1% difference in overall diameter (as measured, not per the sidewall size). Pulling the front driveshaft is trying to relieve a symptom, not the cause, of the problem.

When you removed the front shaft, did you leave the transfer case’s output flange in place? If so it’s probably fallen out and you’re losing fluid. If you haven’t also disabled the transfer case electronically, I can’t imagine the car is at all enjoyable to drive from the dash light show and driveability issues that would result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.