Thread: Keyless Entry

My Cars
    2003 325i (x2), 2001 X5

Keyless Entry

Trying to figure out what's going on. Last weekend we had the rear window on our 2003 325i sedan replaced by one of those places that come to your house (but not the one you see advertised on TV). Right after that my wife and I noticed that both of our key buttons don't work at all or very sporadically. Neither really works from a distance and mine would work very occasionally when standing right next to the car or inside.

I would like to rule out this has nothing to do with the rear window replacement and it is just a coincidence that both keys stopped working around the same time. I think the antenna is in the rear view mirror (front window) and the guy wasn't anywhere near the front. As far as I know, the guy didn't disconnect the battery (the clock didn't need resetting). The rear window does have the electric defrost, but I haven't really tried that to see if it works.

Working with my key, I have tried to resync it with the system based on instructions I got from doing a google search. The system does seem to acknowledge something happens because the doors will lock then unlock when I finish the sync procedure. Still sitting in the car I can get the key fob to work, but only a few times before it stops completely.

Next I cut my key open and replaced the battery with one from Amazon (the original was almost 20 years in service). Again I can do the sync procedure with similar results but the key buttons won't activate the locks from outside the car. Do I just need to charge the battery longer? How long does it take?

Thanks in advance for any help!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The antenna for keyless entry/locking is in the rear windshield. Also, there’s a 2 channel amp located in the drivers “C” pillar. “C” pillar? It’s the sheet metal that runs from the roof down toward the trunk. This amp sits behind the “C” pillar cover. 1 channel is for the keyless entry/locking and the other channel is for the AN/FM antenna in the rear windshield. Call the glass company back and have the tech make sure that the keyless entry/locking antenna is connected.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    The antenna/amp gizmo is in the rearview mirror on the convertibles. Not the sedans or the coupes.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yup, but OP’s car is a sedan.

My Cars
    2003 325i (x2), 2001 X5
    Thanks for the great info. Sedan vs. Convertible--I guess that's where I got confused with other information I was reading on synchronizing the key. I called the company back and they are going to order a new windshield. In the meantime I might pull the C-pillar trim off and see if it's just a plug that is disconnected. The guy I talked to seemed a little confused about the antenna being in/on the rear glass. These cars are pretty common at least around here. Unfortunately I couldn't find much on replacing the rear glass in the Bentley manual or on youtube, so I'm left hoping these guys know what they are doing! Thanks.

My Cars
    2003 325i (x2), 2001 X5
    I'm still working on this...slowly. It's my wife's car so it doesn't directly impact me...I pulled off the c pillar trim and realized there is no cable between the windshield and the amplifier. I guess the glass installer left the cable on the old glass. Or maybe he broke a connector. A new cable isn't that expensive, so I ordered one. Should be here on Saturday. I'll report back. Hopefully this will do the job.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    No cable between the glass and the amp is the culprit. Glad the glass company stepped up and ordered a new windshield.

My Cars
    04 330ci, 98/02 SL500
    Welcome to the forum!
    (Actually yous are supposed to Welcome us...got a jump on it!)
    Just acquired a 04 330ci..and...um...many challenges await me.
    This site will be beneficial.
    Usually...I can navigate, read and figure things out and occasionally need you experts help.
    Already read the posts above.
    Curious. Owners manual states..turn the knob on the inside rear view mirror to rotate. That red knob does not turn.
    This is a convertible.
    Issue is, the key remote doesn't lock or unlock. Battery replacement...have to cut the case open. Instead, ordered a new key this AM. Key in the door, won't lock or unlock also. Did notice with the key in the door and turning it...no resistance at all. Just clockwise or counterclockwise.. thinking...something is...not attached or worn. Manually push the door lock down...pull the door handle, unlocks and opens fine. Sitting in the car, soft top open, push the door switch to lock, nothing happens. And again, buttons on the remote don't work. Owners manual states...key in the ignition, turn first setting and leave it overnight and the key will recharge. Tried it. Nothing.
    Anyway...
    Also...previous owner says...never could open the trunk from the lid. Only the push button near the hood opener...or the remote..which doesn't work.
    Always thought you can open a trunk using the lid handle also.
    Thinking...remove the door panel and diagnose the...whatever inside the door.
    Appreciate some help.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by benica View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    (Actually yous are supposed to Welcome us...got a jump on it!)
    Just acquired a 04 330ci..and...um...many challenges await me.
    This site will be beneficial.
    Usually...I can navigate, read and figure things out and occasionally need you experts help.
    Already read the posts above.
    Curious. Owners manual states..turn the knob on the inside rear view mirror to rotate. That red knob does not turn.
    This is a convertible.
    Issue is, the key remote doesn't lock or unlock. Battery replacement...have to cut the case open. Instead, ordered a new key this AM. Key in the door, won't lock or unlock also. Did notice with the key in the door and turning it...no resistance at all. Just clockwise or counterclockwise.. thinking...something is...not attached or worn. Manually push the door lock down...pull the door handle, unlocks and opens fine. Sitting in the car, soft top open, push the door switch to lock, nothing happens. And again, buttons on the remote don't work. Owners manual states...key in the ignition, turn first setting and leave it overnight and the key will recharge. Tried it. Nothing.
    Anyway...
    Also...previous owner says...never could open the trunk from the lid. Only the push button near the hood opener...or the remote..which doesn't work.
    Always thought you can open a trunk using the lid handle also.
    Thinking...remove the door panel and diagnose the...whatever inside the door.
    Appreciate some help.
    Cripes, you have a ton of problems. We'll try to unpack everything.

The "clown nose" on the rear view mirror doesn't turn if you have the auto-dimming mirror. It only turns if you have the manual day/night mirror.

The key fob doesn't work *maybe* because the battery is shot, and *maybe* because the key is shot. My key has been charged and charged and charged and once in a blue moon I can lock the doors. I'm going to get a good replacement key but it's been a low priority. To get your fob to work, you'll need a new key, you'll need the key programmed by the locksmith, and cut by said locksmith. Driving around for a couple hours will give your key a decent charge (not full), if the battery is good.

Your key spins in the door because the metal connection between the lock cylinder and door latch mechanism is broken. A very common problem on these cars. Buy a kit from Amazon, watch one of a zillion Youtube videos (50s Kid is the best) and DIY. It's fiddly but not difficult.

When you say "push the door switch to lock, are you talking about the central lock button in the console? If so, then your door latch mechanism is shot. Another common problem. Get a replacement, take the door panel off, take the window out, and replace the mechanism. A PITA to be sure, but doable with basic hand tools.

Trunk lid latch and license plate light problems are usually a broken wire. Open the trunk, note the rubber flexible elephant trunk-looking thing in the passenger side corner. Pull one end of the rubber cover out and compress it so that you can see all the wires. You'll probably find a broken one, sometimes more. Another common problem on the E46.

You should be able to open the trunk with the key in the lock, too.

BTW, I had to fix every one of the above issues on my E46 'vert, too.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    2002 525i
    BTW, You can try to resync the key. Sometimes they just lose sync. Get in, close doors. Put key in ignition. Turn to position 1, that's the first click when the dash lights come on. Turn it off. Do this 4 more times in fairly quick succession. (Some will say only do it once. I've done it both ways and the 5x method seems more consistent). After the 5th time, take key out of ignition. Press and hold the "unlock" button and press the center round button three times. Release unlock button. If everything works the locks will cycle. If you have a second key do the button press thing immediately after the first key.

https://store.bimmernav.com/blogs/in...bmw-remote-key
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    04 330ci, 98/02 SL500
    Quote Originally Posted by E39 Newbie View Post
    BTW, You can try to resync the key. Sometimes they just lose sync. Get in, close doors. Put key in ignition. Turn to position 1, that's the first click when the dash lights come on. Turn it off. Do this 4 more times in fairly quick succession. (Some will say only do it once. I've done it both ways and the 5x method seems more consistent). After the 5th time, take key out of ignition. Press and hold the "unlock" button and press the center round button three times. Release unlock button. If everything works the locks will cycle. If you have a second key do the button press thing immediately after the first key.

https://store.bimmernav.com/blogs/in...bmw-remote-key
    Immensely grateful for the help and replies. Thank you.
    I'll look into that kit...Amazon...and the key resync...
    Usually...car owner is not completely forthcoming
    with issues...and buyer needs to...check carefully. But...18 year old car...expect issues. Has maintenance records, etc. Above average condition and now it's...our. I expect to
    have many repairs to do...and that is fine. Have the time to do so and other cars to drive.

My Cars
    04 330ci, 98/02 SL500
    Thank you! Thank you thank you!
    Typed in...2004 BMW 3 series door cylinder repair kit....various sites....bit..confusing. so...when I pick up the new Key from the dealer next week, I get the parts department guy to print me out the door lock parts diagram and list...

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by benica View Post
    Thank you! Thank you thank you!
    Typed in...2004 BMW 3 series door cylinder repair kit....various sites....bit..confusing. so...when I pick up the new Key from the dealer next week, I get the parts department guy to print me out the door lock parts diagram and list...
    AFAIK the parts to fix this are not available from the dealer. They'll want to sell you an entire cylinder assembly. As long as your key goes in smoothly you don't need to go through the brain damage and expense of buying a new cylinder.

Below is a link to the Amazon kit which will work fine. Google 50s kid e46 door cylinder repair and watch his video.

https://www.amazon.com/RegulatorFix-...32768761&psc=1
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    04 330ci, 98/02 SL500
    You...ah....are a wealth of knowledge, information and help. Sure hope others appreciate your posts' as I do. I don't mind paying a...reasonable labor rate for a shop to do the work.. trouble is, none are reasonable. And of course we all have our opinion of what is reasonable....and your posts save many...money.

My Cars
    2003 325i (x2), 2001 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    No cable between the glass and the amp is the culprit. Glad the glass company stepped up and ordered a new windshield.
    So I got the replacement cable and installed it into the rear window and now it all works again...keyless entry, radio reception, etc. I suppose the tech that replaced the window forgot to transfer the cable over.

Although the shop promised to order another window, I never heard from them again. It's OK. The window is fine and replacing the cable wasn't that big a deal. Luckily, this forum helped me figure out what the problem was.

Thanks!