Thread: Color matched washer nozzles

My Cars
    1999 Z3

Color matched washer nozzles

Here's a little project I came up with after trying to keep my black plastic washer nozzles black. I would mask around them and apply some plastic conditioner but it was always a pain in the butt. The tape didn't stick well to the waxed surface and the effect would only last a few weeks. My solution was to paint the nozzles to match the car and that way they wouldn't need any special treatment while giving a cleaner look.

I started by buying a pair of new washer nozzles and then first sanding the pebbly texture smooth going from 280x to 400x to 600x dry-lube paper.

1 280-400-600 sanding.jpg

After sanding. I stuck push pins into the nozzle jets and packed the surrounding recess with "ticky tacky".

2 ticky tacky.jpg

Next, I gave them a coat of primer. The brand I used works well with plastic but requires a full 5 days to cure or you will have issues when you apply a color coat.

3 Primer.jpg

After letting the primer cure, I thinned a bit of "Arctic Silber" touch-up paint with about 20% water (It was a waterborne paint) so that I could spray it with an airbrush. I found the paint was a much closer match when sprayed than when brushed on a touch-up.

4 color match paint.jpg

Finally, after the color coat was dry, I applied two coats of automotive clear coat, again, using an airbrush.

5 clear coat.jpg

I though it came out quite well. To be honest, I did get a couple of tiny dust nibs in the clear coat so I wet sanded using naphtha and 1200X followed by 2000X and then buffed on my buffing wheel. I'll post photos of them installed in the next post.
    Last edited by Hoyt Clagwell; 04-18-2022 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Here's a few photos of the installed nozzles.

6 installed 1.jpg

7 installed 2.jpg

8 installed 3.jpg

I like the clean look. Someday, I'd like to delete the side markers on the bumper cover while I give it a much needed paint job.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Looks good, first time seeing that done.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Thanks. I've never seen it done before ether. I ordered an antenna delete plug. I'm not sure if the outer part of it is hard plastic but if it is, I may give it the same treatment.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Bravo - great idea for a winter project, and I'll order the antenna delete plug too.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    Here's a few photos of the installed nozzles.

I like the clean look. Someday, I'd like to delete the side markers on the bumper cover while I give it a much needed paint job.
    Very clean look. From the 20 foot view, they don't even show up.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Neat! I go back and forth on those and the door handles - whether or not I'd prefer them body color. Fortunately they aren't super obnoxious on stahlgrau.

My Cars
    z3
    Nice. It reminds me a little bit of the chrome Z8 windshield nozzles people were putting on back in the day

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    Bravo - great idea for a winter project, and I'll order the antenna delete plug too.
    Thanks. Yeah it's one of those little details that is also fun and easy to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    Very clean look. From the 20 foot view, they don't even show up.
    Yes, the color match was remarkably good. They look OE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Nice. It reminds me a little bit of the chrome Z8 windshield nozzles people were putting on back in the day
    Thanks. Chrome might work with some colors but personally, I'm trying to not draw the eye to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    Neat! I go back and forth on those and the door handles - whether or not I'd prefer them body color. Fortunately they aren't super obnoxious on stahlgrau.
    I installed chrome door handle surrounds and find it's a little thing that really adds a lot of upscale class to the look. BTW, stahlgrau is probably my favorite color, especially with a burgundy and black interior.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Killer! I wouldn't mind chroming mine. I always wanted to chrome the nozzles & side mirrors (I recall Ron Stygar doing that back in the day) to get a bit of a Z8 vibe going. I do have OE Chrome Line windshield trim (uninstalled) and polished stainless roll hoops (installed), but I've learned the glass has to come out for a factory correct installation on the trim. Oh well, maybe someday.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 04-19-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Killer! I wouldn't mind chroming mine. I always wanted to chrome the nozzles & side mirrors (I recall Ron Stygar doing that back in the day) to get a bit of a Z8 vibe going. I do have OE Chrome Line windshield trim (uninstalled) and polished stainless roll hoops (installed), but I've learned the glass has to come out for a factory correct installation on the trim. Oh well, maybe someday.
    I once had a plastic cover on a motorcycle chromed and it came out really well and was not overly expensive. (about $75 back in 20011) I did all of the prep work myself. In my opinion, if you're going to chrome some items, try to have an overall image in your mind to keep a balance and a theme going.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    I once had a plastic cover on a motorcycle chromed and it came out really well and was not overly expensive. (about $75 back in 20011) I did all of the prep work myself. In my opinion, if you're going to chrome some items, try to have an overall image in your mind to keep a balance and a theme going.
    100% agree. I'm very particular when it comes to this stuff. This is why I can't do chrome wheels and exterior door handles. I don't think it flows well. On lighter colors, I don't mind the handles.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Excellent - why not do the whole car with Easy Chrome?

https://alsacorp.com/product/easy-chrome

Little pricey:

Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    z3

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Is that Dan's Cobra?
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    z3
    Lieutenant Dan?

I'm not sure whose car that is specifically. Shelby did a run of 50 "50th Anniversary" models which were available in this polished finish with brushed stripes. The cool thing is if you get a scratch you can polish it back out lol

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Lieutenant Dan?
    https://www.autoevolution.com/news/d...gym-87498.html
    Nathan in Denver