Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Technical Violet’s E36 M3 Track Car

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Easier, I think, to post pictures here. I can't remember what size the housing hole is, I think 14 x 1.5mm, but just pull the plug and measure. I'll send more details via PM.

IMG_20230321_155627.resized.jpg

IMG_20230321_155644.resized.jpg

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Easier, I think, to post pictures here. I can't remember what size the housing hole is, I think 14 x 1.5mm, but just pull the plug and measure. I'll send more details via PM.

IMG_20230321_155627.resized.jpg

IMG_20230321_155644.resized.jpg
    Thank you!

Following up with our conversation, I’m trying my best to keep it out of the cockpit.

Finding a pull cable system is a big step in the right direction. Now to see what I can fit

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...le-kit-6-foot/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalViolet View Post
    Thank you!

Following up with our conversation, I’m trying my best to keep it out of the cockpit.

Finding a pull cable system is a big step in the right direction. Now to see what I can fit

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...le-kit-6-foot/
    You could install in trunk and run AN10 under the car. Long lines do create challenges in charge and discharge time of the sump, and you might need higher pre-load pressure and thus less oil reserve. Etc.

Another option is to install it in the cabin, but box it in. Then for the AN's, use aviation grade pre-fabbed AN, and wrap the hose in fire protection sleeve. That is, use the same thing that's used in engine bays in aircraft for flexible oil lines.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Axle shafts were quite a pain to remove, but they are out. Did give me time to run an experiment. PB Blaster vs ATF/Acetone (50/50)

I soaked my axles vertically overnight, each in a different mixture. Like so

ATF was completely drained, PB still had a puddle.

My small puller, (above) easily removed the axle soaked in pump juice (atf/acetone). The PB axle took way more effort and a 7 ton puller.

Look at how much more soaked the atf axle is.

Looks like the hub bearings were on their way out. So add those to the list or replaced parts.

If anyone has a good method to remove these while off vehicle. Let me know, don’t think the slide hammer will be too effective without some way to hold the trailing arm.

Oh wait, Olemiss already said I need a shop press. He’s right .

I decided that it would be helpful to weld a nut for the subframe bracket hole. This will ease install and removal now that it’s even harder to get a wrench back there.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Also wanted to conclude my episode with the fractured RTAB bolt. I think this method works well, but try not to make as big of a hole as I did, I ended up hitting a few gussets and ribs.

Pictures are worth 1000 words here.

Cutting the hole and adding nut, didn’t see a reason to cut the insert down and make welding it harder.

Realizing I’m out of my depth trying to fill a gap this size. That’s why I stopped and called for help.

Patched with 14 gauge steel I had laying around.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I decided that it would be helpful to weld a nut for the subframe bracket hole. This will ease install and removal now that it’s even harder to get a wrench back there.
    This is a big brain move! I need to do this, I hate fiddling with the damn nut and bolt each time I want to remove the swaybar.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    This is a big brain move! I need to do this, I hate fiddling with the damn nut and bolt each time I want to remove the swaybar.

I’ll be sure to follow up if I end up regretting it! Hopefully not because it seems like it will be quite nice. I hate having to do holdbacks on nuts.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Picked up the rest of the exhaust this weekend

I haven’t been able to find any examples of my exhaust setup. So here’s to hoping I have a unique sound from my oem headers, Bimmerworld midpipe, and UUC Catback.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3

Do yourself a favor and perform this on the car.

One other question, if I remove my heat shield, will it cook the ball joint rubber when the rotors get hot?

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I just trimmed my entire dust shield but left a wing on it to protect the ball joint. Probably not even necessary....

Also in case it is helpful: https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...p-presses.html

:-)

- - - Updated - - -

I just trimmed my entire dust shield but left a wing on it to protect the ball joint. Probably not even necessary....

Also in case it is helpful: https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...p-presses.html

:-)

My Cars
    1995 M3
    HF TWENTY TON for the win. It will flex less than the 12 ton, even at a few ton's of pressure.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    One other question, if I remove my heat shield, will it cook the ball joint rubber when the rotors get hot?
    I removed my rear heat shields and entire e-brake assembly to install my BBK and never looked back. Haven't had a problem yet.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    I removed my rear heat shields and entire e-brake assembly to install my BBK and never looked back. Haven't had a problem yet.
    Same-ish. No dust shields, no e-brake, no problems.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Well turns out the buzz box couldn’t handle all ze German steel. Worked great for a while but then I got a nice little POP inside the machine.

Time to buy American I suppose.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Same-ish. No dust shields, no e-brake, no problems.
    Good , I really don’t feel like putting the brake shoes back on. Haven’t done it in so long I’m not sure I remember.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I've had pretty good luck with the Chinese made TIG's. I have a Hobart MIG, and it's great.
    Honestly, except for the HarborFreight quality of Chinese boxes, the mid-level Chinese boxes seem damn good, except when you want service at your local welder supply.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Turns out they are sending a free replacement. So I’ll be ok for the short term.

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Good , I really don’t feel like putting the brake shoes back on. Haven’t done it in so long I’m not sure I remember.
    Should be straightforward, just line the shoes up on the backing plate and shove the "arrow-with-spring" fastener through the hole through the backing plate. Twist 90deg to lock in place once you've found home.

I think it's more okay to leave the rear shields out vs the fronts - a lot more brake heat is happening in front and that can definitely cook ball joints if you're not otherwise covering them. Can always fab little shields to cover the boots.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by circuit.heart View Post
    Should be straightforward, just line the shoes up on the backing plate and shove the "arrow-with-spring" fastener through the hole through the backing plate. Twist 90deg to lock in place once you've found home.

I think it's more okay to leave the rear shields out vs the fronts - a lot more brake heat is happening in front and that can definitely cook ball joints if you're not otherwise covering them. Can always fab little shields to cover the boots.
    I was trying to think of a way to make a heat shielding cover. Didn’t consider fabbing though. May want to look into it.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Or, not worry about it. Or, install heim joints.

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    I was trying to think of a way to make a heat shielding cover. Didn’t consider fabbing though. May want to look into it.
    Straightforward - get some metallic/fiberglass heat-shield conduit and cut a pattern to wrap around the ball joint and/or arm. Poke a few holes and zip-tie to secure.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    This weekend was CV joints and trailing arm ball joints.

Nothing went well.

Couldn’t get one of the CVs back together to articulate smoothly. Turns out there was burrs on the bearing cage.

The ball joints were rusty as hell and trying to find a combination of spacers that worked required more puller kits than I could count.

Still can’t get the bearings out, but I at least got the inner race unstuck from the hub.

Wheel speed sensors won’t budge so I’m probably just leaving them in. They were working when I pulled the rear out. Just gotta be more careful when cleaning.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I have started just using a dremel on that inner cage. Get it 90% cut through and a smack with the old flatblade.

My Cars
    97 M3, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    I have started just using a dremel on that inner cage. Get it 90% cut through and a smack with the old flatblade.
    Inner race you mean?

That’s what I did, worked beautifully. Especially with an angled cut to give more cut area.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Exactly. Love your creativity! This car is going to be BULLETPROOF!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast