Greetings.

E90 boot lid, usual BMW wiring issue in the rubber flex tube. Before it came to me, a mate of the owner said he could fix the non illuminating N/S license plate light. He did so by putting both bulb feed wires together. Today I repaired 11 wires. The FRM short circuit fault still exists and the lights don't come on. I plugged in and ran another scan. Same FRM DTC as before. 9CBC. I know the wiring in the flex tube is perfect. All wires are separate and now fully sleeved and soldered. There is no short to ground with an MM going from the feed to the plug ground. The is a short between plug ground and the other plug ground and of course to the shell. There are no shorts from feed side to ground at all. I have reset the FRM control unit. I heard it click (to the right of the steering wheel (RHD). But the lights still don't come on. (Bulb fine and test light dead and 0.0v on MM) I ran active tests, chose License plates lamps. Active test simply reports fail. I have reset the FRM again and cleared the code. The 9CBC code went but no lamps New scan code back.

So is it plausible the shorting of the feed wires to get both bulbs working has killed the control circuit for the plate lights. Not only was the end side of the wiring joined but also BOTH feeds in the loom were joined too. Before I remove the dash panels etc and think about swapping out or dismantling the FRM, a pointer would be good. Thanks,