Thread: Mixed tire wear

My Cars
    540i Xdrive

Mixed tire wear

Looking for some advise. Car is a 2017 ,540i xdrive M, Got it used 28k miles. Tires on the car are 245/40R19.(all the same size) I thought they looked good when I bought it. In fact I thought the dealer had installed new tires on the car.Anyway, recent oil change (local shop) now have 33Kmiles. The report I got from the shop said the rear tires would need to be replace soon. Front 8/32 Rear 3/32. So I got a some questions. First of all with the Xdrive must I replace all the tires at the same time? Also the report said brake fluid would need to be flushed soon. I have bled brakes for years so I know the process. Could I purchase one of those presure tanks and flush it my self? Any comments.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    As no one has commented yet I'll give it a go.

First, your driving style most influences tire wear.

Second, replace your rear tires.

Third, I wouldn't replace all four at the same time, but see you owner's manual or ask the dealer service department about rotating your tires. Tires will always wear differently, and rotating them distributes the wear. Properly done, you'd replace all four worn tires at once. Expensive, but no more so in the long run than not rotating, plus you only have to go to the tire shop once for four tires, rather than twice for two pair.

Fourth, it has always been BMW policy to replace brake fluid (unless it's silicone-based, which is not addressed/approved) every two years. I've only once seen a car where the brake system interior was severely rusted, but brakes are mission-critical and deserving of a high standard of care.

READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    540i Xdrive
    To update this thread I started 4 months ago. I did replace all 4 tires with Non Run Flats. Still planing on doing the brake fluid. But went through the manual and can not find where it tells me that type of fluid to use. i.e. Dot 4 or 5 anyone found the answer anywhere. And if you happen to know the total capacity of the brake system can't be more than two QT's.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    None of the more than two dozen bimmers i've had, have needed more than a pint to do a "good" bleed of the braking system. I've only used a quart if I want to completely flush the old fluid, and that was probably more than might be, but I used to flip highly mileage bimmers and since a quart isn't all that expensive, and you're in there anyway, flush until the exiting fluid is clear. Used to be you could get two colors of fluid, but those are gone now IIRC.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.