Thread: What's it worth - 2002 Z3M 27k miles

My Cars
    2002 Z3 M

What's it worth - 2002 Z3M 27k miles

It’s time to sell my 2002 Z3M, 27k miles. It’s all original except for the head unit. Runs and drives great. Based on its condition it seems like my 2 options are to either sell it as it or have the maintenance and detailing done and put it on BaT.

I’d like opinions on a fair price. I do expect (and deserve) some bashing because I haven't given this car the love it deserves.

Pros:
    The car has been babied and there are no dings or dents. It’s spent most of its life as a garage queen. Interior is great because it hasn’t been driven much. It has polished Roadstars (filthy) and comes with the original Roadstars. A/C still works great.
    The car has spent its life in CA and AZ so no rust or salt issues.

Cons:
    As stated, it’s all original and that means nothing except the head unit, battery, and tires have been changed. Proper maintenance other than some oil changes hasn’t been done so the other fluids are all original.
    The air bag light is on and I couldn’t clear it so I don’t know what the issue is. Passenger seat sensor?
    The speakers should be replaced.
    The rear window is yellowed so a new window or complete top is in order.
    Tires have good tread but they are 10 years old.

Pandora

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Which motor does it have? 'sorry, I'm not familiar enough with all the engines to tell by looking.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 M Roadster
    Similar car just sold for ~$40k on Bring a Trailer today. Spend some time cleaning it up and yours might fetch something close.

BaT is a great resource to see how similar cars are selling. Has a history of every car sold and for what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 M Roadster

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    Which motor does it have? 'sorry, I'm not familiar enough with all the engines to tell by looking.
    All 2001-2002 M Roadsters pack the S54.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    To get the most out of it you'd want to fix all the issues and pay a detailer to give it a thorough cleaning and a photographer to take some glamour shots. The increase in value on BaT from doing these things would offset the cost of paying a detailer and photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    It is an S54 - for "M" models, the 2001 and 2002 models were all S54 (non-M's received only M54's in these years)

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    All 2001-2002 M Roadsters pack the S54.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Beat me to it... had a response typed out then got distracted for a solid hour!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    As is - its a solid $25K easy. Spend another $2k on simple maintenance and dealing, and its a $35K car.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    2001 Z3 M Roadster
    I was thinking it would be worth more than $25k with a simple detail, based on how similar cars have sold. If OP is willing to sell it for $25k today, let me know!!

For reference, I bought my '01 with 22k miles a little over a year ago for $29k. These cars have gone up in value since then. I've put a bunch of work into it since (preventative) and now wouldn't take a penny less than $40k, and mine is arguably a less desirable color (silver).
    Last edited by hancod; 04-13-2022 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added reference for OP

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    I can tell you, assuming the car has no serious issues that you didn't describe, EAG would easily take that car and make it look pretty good, and they'd be selling it for far more easy.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    What would my 01 Z3M be worth? 110K, clean, all the fixes (rf subframe, rod bearings, you name it). I'm thinking $35K.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCK57 View Post
    What would my 01 Z3M be worth? 110K, clean, all the fixes (rf subframe, rod bearings, you name it). I'm thinking $35K.
    Mileage is everything with these cars. At 110k miles, no way - unless really rare color combo.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I have a 2002 M roadster and it has 86k on it except for the engine as it was replaced at 46k because of a spun bearing and the clutch and pressure plate also. I just insured it with Hagerty for agreed value at 30k at the beginning of the year and now I wonder if that was enough.
    The prices are going up all the time, amazing.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    You may want to take a look at the M Roadsters Buyer Guide. It lists M Roadsters currently for sale as well as ones which have sold. It should give you an idea of what they are going for now. I did a quick look and there are a few 2001 and 2002 cars listed.

http://www.mroadsterbuyersguide.com/sold

In September I put in an order for my Z4 and asked my dealer what my 2002 M Roadster with 150k was worth and was told that I should be able to get 30k in a private sale or they could give me 25k for a trade-in. No plans to sell it, just wanted to get an idea of its value.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    You may want to take a look at the M Roadsters Buyer Guide. It lists M Roadsters currently for sale as well as ones which have sold. It should give you an idea of what they are going for now. I did a quick look and there are a few 2001 and 2002 cars listed.

http://www.mroadsterbuyersguide.com/sold

In September I put in an order for my Z4 and asked my dealer what my 2002 M Roadster with 150k was worth and was told that I should be able to get 30k in a private sale or they could give me 25k for a trade-in. No plans to sell it, just wanted to get an idea of its value.
    That's a fair/not far off quote for a 150k mile S54 roadster.

And yeah, mileage is everything with these cars. It scales up fast the more you can get down to sub 30k miles.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I think the overall car market is definitely having an effect on our Z3's. With new cars not being available to keep up with demand because of all the shortages, it has driven used car prices up. That is reflected in the high prices that we see here lately for our cars. Then you add to that the fact that each year there are less Z3's as miles and accident's take their toll, leads to the market situation that we are seeing today.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    I think the overall car market is definitely having an effect on our Z3's. With new cars not being available to keep up with demand because of all the shortages, it has driven used car prices up. That is reflected in the high prices that we see here lately for our cars. Then you add to that the fact that each year there are less Z3's as miles and accident's take their toll, leads to the market situation that we are seeing today.
    That, and Z3's as a whole are going up in value now that a lot more people are wanting to collect them. They're an iconic turn of the millennium car, and because they were always a british roadster/fastback throwback they have that going for them as well.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mchart View Post
    That, and Z3's as a whole are going up in value now that a lot more people are wanting to collect them. They're an iconic turn of the millennium car, and because they were always a british roadster/fastback throwback they have that going for them as well.
    I think there is a sprinkle of the impending transition to EV that has car lovers grasping for that last fling with truly engaging cars. It's cliché, but they really don't make cars like these anymore. I came from both M2's (OG and Comp) and the level of engagement with the Roadster is next level. Get 'em while you can!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    Friggin ridiculous. I just got an offer on our 190k mile Accord for $4,200. Carvana offered $800, and the dealer offered $2k on trade. Buyer is coming this evening, so if all goes well I'd call that a great result for a car we had for 14 years. And I was about to yank the drivetrain and stuff it in my Integra racecar.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2002 Z3 M
    Let me revive this thread. I look at the M Roadsters buying guide and I see that the top ones have sold for the low 40s. So my question is about maintenance records. The best sellers have all maintenance records. I'm figuring maybe $5k for me to get a new top, new tires, a good detail, and have all fluids/belts/hoses replaced. If I have all the receipts for that will that be enough or will I get push back for not having a history of maintenance done? It's only got 27k miles so it's not like it's been ridden hard and put away wet
    Pandora

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    27K is great, look at trans and engine mounts, clutch line. Rubber items!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    It seems to me that with only 27K miles, there shouldn't be to many maintenance records other than fluid changes.