Thread: 2003 M3 suddenly won't start - no clicking/starter/crank but lights

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe

Question 2003 M3 suddenly won't start - no clicking/starter/crank but lights

Hi All,

New member here and wish I would have joined earlier. Such a great resource for literally everything on this car!

I bought this M3 last year and haven't driven it much over the winter. No real codes, warning lights, or major issues since I've owned it.

Noticed last week the battery was old and dying/no longer charging on my trickle charger so I replaced it with a brand-name AGM last week. No issues with car starting or anything after.

Friday I parked it, then Saturday I swapped in a new cabin air filter and also the engine air filter. Nothing special about either and no sensors or cables disconnected in the process.

Now it suddenly won't start. Battery is fully charged (13.0V), key will turn, all lights turn on interior/exterior, can turn on headlights super bright, but no clicking from starter/no crank just silence.

Service Engine Soon is lit up on the dash but no EML.

It feels like the car doesn't see the clutch pressed in but that's not it. I've also got 13.0V at the front battery connection under the engine.

Nothing else has changed and I can't imagine changing the air filter had anything to do with this, but to be safe I took off the assembly again and checked any sensor or other electrical connections in that area. Everything was plugged in solid.

A friend has an Auto MaxiCOM scanner so I was able to pull ALL the codes attached in the photos to this post. I believe most of the items there are older (light codes were from replacing headlight ignitors and bulbs). But something seems to be going on clearly from these codes but I'm not knowledgeable enough on this M3 yet to know what to check next.

I am handy with cars (do my own work) and a multimeter so I'm not afraid to test whatever someone here can recommend please.

Any advice appreciated as this car is not in my garage at the moment and I need to get it back. Thank you in advance.

Elliott

My Cars
    850i
    Hi,
    I would delete all those faults, and see these who come back. There one on EWS which may not let you start.
    You can also check the ignition barrel that can also fail to engage the crank.
    You may check that you still have 13V under the hood when cranking
    If your car is SMG, it can be related to the SMG system, many possible causes...
    Let us know more on your issue...

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hi Ben - thanks so much for responding so quickly yesterday. I could have sworn I replied but looks like it didn't save.

So after posting this I noticed in the special Auto MaxiCOM scanner I was using (with BMW specific software) had an option to erase codes...

I erased every code present, turned the key off, removed the scanner, pushed in the clutch (factory 6sp) and turned the key on again. No start.

Then I turned it off and on again - STARTED right UP.

Checked codes after the successful start/running for a minute, and the only code faulted again related to the outside temp sensor which might need to be replaced.

Wow. This Autel scanner just paid for itself as this car would not start.

This has to have something to do with my key right? For instance when I would turn the key to the start position, I actually felt pressure/motion pushing the key BACK counter-clockwise.

I'm nervous this might happen again but I figure the best I can do is drive it for a bit with the scanner in the trunk in case it does.

Here are the updated scan reports after I got the car running. Any advice here appreciated as to what happened to prevent please.

My Cars
    850i
    Hi,

It might be the ignition barrel. You have 2 solutions:
    - change the ignition barrel but we are not sure it is the bad boy
    - wait until the issue come again and check fisrt for the error with your diagnose tool, and investigate to be sure to find the real cause

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hi Ben - Thanks for the helpful info. I hope it's not the barrel! Will keep the special Autel scanner in the trunk for now so I don't get stranded and see what happens.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I would think it would be the ignition switch, and not the barrel. The E-39 uses the same switch, and I have found as they age, there are problems caused by the contacts.

This is a test you can do, pull the passanger side visor down, and open the vanity mirror to turn the light on. If the car starts, that points to the switch, yes I know this sound odd, but it works.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    You could drop the panel beneath the steering, then drop the lower column cover.
    You'll see the ignition switch on the left hand side of the steering column.
    It takes a small allen or torx to remove two mounting screws.
    Then you can open up the switch case and look for scorch marks on the contacts.