Thread: OEM roadster roll hoops as mounting point for 4-point harness?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 2.8 Z3

OEM roadster roll hoops as mounting point for 4-point harness?

I'm thinking of installing a 4-point racing harness in my z3 roadster and I have a couple questions.

My car has the OEM roll hoops installed which I know are load bearing and functional. Could I use the roll hoops as a mounting point for the harness?

Or, would it be better to use a 3-point harness like this one (https://www.sparcousa.com/product/2-inch-3pt-bolt-in) and use the original seatbelt mounting point?

I'll also be swapping the OEM seats for a pair of bucket seats, probably Sparco QRT's, and I'll run the harness through the seat properly so that's not an issue.

Main question is whether or not I can use the roll hoops as a mounting point for the harness. If not, would a 3 point harness that mounts to the original seatbelt mount work?

My Cars
    ‘98 M Roadster
    I'm also curious, hence why I'm replying. While I don't know the answer per se, I did come across this thread from another forum that may provide some insight into what others have done/considered doing:

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...1625291&page=2

I am waiting to pick up my Hard Dog roll bar and install it before I put my seats and harnesses in. My thoughts; if it wasn't designed to do it, then we probably should avoid making it do it - especially when it comes to safety equipment. The hoops look inviting but they are made to withstand a vertical load. When in a severe head-on accident the shoulder belts can see loads over 1000 ft/lbs... that's a lot to ask of a roll hoop 90 degrees off its designed structural purpose.

Hope some of this helps,

-Nate