Thread: Hatch lock mechanism?

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe, '84 H/O

Hatch lock mechanism?

I know it’s a long shot, but does anyone have a spare hatch locking mechanism that they may be willing to sell
    51247831775 (paired) or 51247831774 (separate key)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 ///MCoupe Alpine White, Dark Beige Oregon. 1 of 2

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Its NLA from BMW for quite some time and rarer than hens teeth. Good luck.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1996 z3

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    There are none in any inventory anywhere. You can order that, but it will go no where.

This is likely the most 'important' NLA part right now, in my opinion. If you can find them, hoard them.

Mostly because the microswitch that triggers when you push the cylinder in is also part of that assembly. It's not sold separate. I've had to repair my microswitch twice now, and it's on it's last legs. I've been researching replacements and may have to end up just 3D printing a shell that fits in the carrier on the assembly, and putting a different microswitch in that.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    What is wrong with it?

Odds are it just needs a new spring. Go get a spring from the hardware store and cut it down and it should work just fine.

The microswitch is the same on every E36/E34/E32/and E31 door lock. Just go to the junkyard.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    What is wrong with it?

Odds are it just needs a new spring. Go get a spring from the hardware store and cut it down and it should work just fine.

The microswitch is the same on every E36/E34/E32/and E31 door lock. Just go to the junkyard.
    I have not found this to be the case. The microswitch in the hatch assembly is different from other parts i've looked at. The E36 microswitch looks same at first glance, but it is not the right physical dimensions to fit into the M Coupe lock mechanism. Also, the E36/etc microswitch is available as a specific separate part number. Not the case here.

As for the microswitch, it's a variety of issues. It's a wear item ultimately that you can only get by so much with tearing open and fixing. Also, 'just replacing the spring' is easier said than done as you'll have to manipulate other pieces of metal/contacts inside the switch to replace the spring.
    Last edited by mchart; 04-11-2022 at 01:06 PM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I was referring to the spring on the latch, not the spring inside the contact button.

I have one somewhere in a box I swear I saw recently, I'm going to have a better look.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    I was referring to the spring on the latch, not the spring inside the contact button.

I have one somewhere in a box I swear I saw recently, I'm going to have a better look.
    The spring of the latch is an easier fix, agreed. You can fix that by just scrounging parts. The microswitch itself? Once that thing fails internally there isn't much you can do to fix it. I spent around 6 hours a few months ago scrounging various micro-switch suppliers for a microswitch that was the same shape/orientation/etc, but couldn't find anything. I'm less concerned about the wiring harness coming off the switch itself since that can just be spliced in.
    Last edited by mchart; 04-11-2022 at 03:24 PM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Ok, I've got it in my hand. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I don't really understand which microswitch you are having issues with?

There is one on the key tumbler that triggers when you push in the button, there is another switch on the latching mechanism itself with a small lever on it. Both are the same switch, one has a tail harness, the other has the harness plug directly into it and a glued on mounting nub that slides into the latching mechanism.

Both microswitches are very similar to the Z3 door lock switches. There are various ways to plug them in etc, but its still the same basic switch.

See if you can track down 61311387028. It looks to be the same part, but you may have to cut off the tail and swap the one from your old switch.

Here's the same switch on the door lock cyllinder:

s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by mpire; 04-11-2022 at 03:56 PM.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    That may actually be the same, but the wiring harness is wrong. So at least I now know of a different option, just requires splicing in the different connector on the wiring harness.

Actually, nope, just checked. Not the same. I looked at those before and they don't work. Note the orientation of the hatch lock microswitch. Because the button is in a different spot the metal finger doesn't hit it, and you can't just mount it differently to work.

Again, bottom line, if you can find a complete hatch lock mechanism (also includes the microswitch), it's worth gold right now.

IMG_0008.jpg
    Last edited by mchart; 04-11-2022 at 06:26 PM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I'm holding both a Z3 Coupe and an M Coupe hatch lock mechanism as well as a whole door lock mechanism right this moment.

Its all the same switch, it has 2 holes in it that fit onto nubs on the mechanisms, you can flip it over.

And if you can't splice in a harness then you really have no business owning a 20 year old car.

I like Coupes.