Thread: Dinan Supercharger + Euro headlights -- How do I run the air intake?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe

Dinan Supercharger + Euro headlights -- How do I run the air intake?

Hi all,
    I recently got back on the e36 train after a 10-year hiatus and bought an M3 with a Dinan supercharger. Before the car left FL, I asked the mechanic to make some modifications, including the installation of new Depo headlights with angel eyes.
    When the car arrived, it was throwing Check Engine codes. Upon inspection, the pipe leading from the air filter to the Mass Airflow Sensor was found completely detached, which means air is completely bypassing the filter. *facepalm*

We were considering cutting part of the hose that connects the MAF and putting a 3in mushroom air filter on the end of it, but there must be a more elegant way to do this. Another consideration was buying a MAF inside some aluminum housing and welding the aluminum pipes to the desired shape (though the original air box frame is also infringed somewhat by the headlight housing).

Does anyone else here run the Dinan supercharger + Euro/aftermarket headlight setup? How do you route the intake hoses? I found a few pictures online, but they lack detail---could you please post a picture of the setup? Does Dinan or someone else make components to solve this specific problem or is a bespoke solution the way to go? Thanks!
    Last edited by shogun; 04-05-2022 at 03:12 AM. Reason: non working pic removed

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Brett will likely chime in here, but if not, I would reach out to see if he’s still taking build orders for this: https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...uro-headlights
    1998 BMW M3: Estoril Blue, Bilstein Sport shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Z3 M shift lever, illuminated ZHP shift knob, 3-Spoke Steering Wheel, Dinan Intake & Stage 2 software, Eisenmann Race, CD43

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CKr View Post
    Brett will likely chime in here, but if not, I would reach out to see if he’s still taking build orders for this: https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...uro-headlights
    Thanks for the suggestion. I reached out, but it sounds like he's not selling these at the moment. He also expressed to me his disdain for Depo headlights; I guess the assembly is also somewhat larger (though I am unsure by how much).

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by kris+e36m3 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I reached out, but it sounds like he's not selling these at the moment. He also expressed to me his disdain for Depo headlights; I guess the assembly is also somewhat larger (though I am unsure by how much).
    Depo are known to be junky. They are a replica of ZKW/Hella. All of them share the same larger housing. You don't have to guess at this, I told you they were and to go Bosch.

How much smaller Bosch are is not something I can express. They are just marginally smaller and allow for easier fitment of sc piping. Ditch the Depo.

The tubing manufacturer is out of stock due to covid. That is why I cannot build any intake pipe kits at the moment. Otherwise I would be. With the better headlights you'll be able to figure out a pipe extension or coupler extension to finalize the intake yourself.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 04-06-2022 at 06:41 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    When I ran the Depos with an RMS Vortech kit that is very similar to the Dinan in terms of fitment, I cut out part of the back of the light and taped it up. I ran the car like this for 10 years — even after getting rid of the supercharger and installing a turbo. Trim where you need and seal up.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    When I ran the Depos with an RMS Vortech kit that is very similar to the Dinan in terms of fitment, I cut out part of the back of the light and taped it up. I ran the car like this for 10 years — even after getting rid of the supercharger and installing a turbo. Trim where you need and seal up.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Did you have any issues with moisture in the headlight? That would be my biggest fear cutting into it.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    No and I drove in snow and rain and parked outside and used automatic car washes for several of those years. I used heavy duty tape to seal up the cut out section. Might be able to plastic weld or epoxy something that would reduce the amount of tape. I did change the tape once or twice over those 10 years. I think I used tarp repair tape once and heavy duty duct tape another time.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Just wanted to follow up, in case anyone looks at this thread in the future.

I ended up finding a shop here in SD (RNZ Concepts) to create a custom intake for me. They took some pieces of aluminum piping and welded them together, driving them down at a steeper angle---thus allowing the airbox to sit in its original position*. I was very happy with their work; cost me about $400. The Mass Airflow Sensor is no longer throwing codes.

Regarding the headlights themselves, after seeing the Depo headlights on the car for several months, I decided they were out of place and I wanted OEM ones.** I ordered OEM Euro spec lights from Europe for about $1000. Not cheap, but look a lot better IMO. The glass is sleek.

The taillights on the car were aftermarket ones and have been throwing a computer error, which I find really annoying. I found a local OEM driver-side assembly and tracked down a passenger-side assembly in Oregon (I guess BMW doesn't make these anymore which I find crazy). Hopefully this fixes the computer issue. All the pixels on my displays work, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

* As an aside, the previous owner had slammed (lowered) the car and during a heavy rain a couple months ago, the car died while driving. I suspect water was sucked in by the supercharger---it seems like the factory airbox position is not ideal for forced induction. I've since raised the car to the max ride height on its Bilsteins (which is still quite low) to try and mitigate this, though will likely not test my luck in bad weather again.
    ** The Depo lights also suffered from slight connection issues and I was unhappy with the quality.