Thread: E30 Coolant Leak - Driver side footwell

My Cars
    1984 325e, 2002 325i

E30 Coolant Leak - Driver side footwell

I am getting coolant in the driver's side footwell at the gas pedal. I have replaced the heater core, still leaking. I pulled the core, piping and valve out and hooked them back up inside the engine compartment (so I could see the leak). I put 12V on the valve to ensure it is open (heard it stroke). The pipes got hot, the heater core got warm, there is no leak. I do not see any evidence of leakage anywhere but the carpeting by the gas pedal (the heater box is dry, piping and heater core show no signs of coolant leakage). Is there another possible source of the leak? Thank you!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    only those parts inside the car. but maybe one of the lines on the outside is leaking and spraying right when the hoses go back into the car and its leaking around one? or maybe the little aluminum part that bolts to the back of the head is corroded enough that it leaks now and water is spraying or traveling along the hose into the cabin?

another thing, you are sure its coolant? it could be the ac drain is clogged so the condensation is leaking out and down to where you are seeing it. right at the top of the transmission tunnel, under the hvac and stuff, if you pull the center console, is a drain line that drains right on top of the transmission. like dead middle of the transmission tunnel so its hard to get to from the bottom and you have to pull the center console to get it from the top.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1984 325e, 2002 325i
    Thank you for the reply. I did not see evidence of any moisture running through the rubber seal at the firewall (I replaced that a few months ago). Pretty sure it is coolant - it is sticky. Is the AC drain the vertical hose forward of the heater box? Would it leak if the AC is not running? We had the transmission out about 8 months ago - I did not even think to check for plugged drains.... I did pull the 90 degree hose that comes out of the heater box towards the stick and there was no evidence of liquid there. Thanks again!

My Cars
    I cannot remember exactly where it lies but probably not leaking if no ac.

Is it a stick? Maybe it's the master cylinder leaking?

My Cars
    1984 325e, 2002 325i
    It is a stick. I'll check that out. Thank you.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    I've had my carpet get wet from driving in the rain with a hole in the floor and it was slimey haha just from grime etc...didn't smell like anything at least. All other fluids good. Never know, could be water.

My Cars
    1984 325e, 2002 325i
    I think I'm going to shampoo the carpet around the pedals to get rid of any residual coolant and then give it another whirl.

My Cars
    Sounds good

My Cars
    1984 325e, 2002 325i
    Update: I tried shampooing the carpet, did not get it very clean. Next step I hooked up the heater core in the engine compartment and ran it - no leaks there, but still getting sticky liquid at the base of the gas pedal after I re-installed it. I read several different forums and found one on R3VLimited. Followed their guidance and checked the sunroof drain. Pouring water into the forward drain I did not get anything out of the forward rocker panel drain. Found it was plugged with a chunk of plastic. After removing that the water drained as I would expect. My theory is that I could not remove the coolant residue from the carpet, and the rocker panel was overflowing into the footwell and getting a mixture of coolant and water. It has never been a ton of water, just soggy. To be extra sure I bypassed the heater core in the engine compartment and plugged the pipes going through the firewall. Now we watch and wait to see if it gets wet at the next rain or when driving...