Thread: Engine Starts when cold-dies in 2mins. when warm 1984 533i

My Cars
    e28

Engine Starts when cold-dies in 2mins. when warm 1984 533i

Replaced the Engine coolant temp sensor, Thermo-time switch, Coolant temp sender and radiator switches (top and bottom).
    I just ordered an Idle controls temp switch and its on the way New thermostat and silicon hoses and fan clutch.
    cleaned out the fuel injectors, spark plug replaced and new plugs (did not change distro cap and rotor).

the car starts right up but dies after 2 minutes. it wont start again until the engine is cold.
    what is going on? anyone got any ideas on what is failing?

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    I had a coil that was over heating leading to the engine dying after it warmed.

Andy

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I don't know the details on that model, but I wonder if it works on open loop and then not on closed loop.

My Cars
    e28

thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by south42 View Post
    I had a coil that was over heating leading to the engine dying after it warmed.
    Andy
    I will look for one to replace it. I feel like that is a better answer than what -heyy, I found some literature that supports what you are saying! thanks.:

Well, there is an ignition problem that can cause this when the engine gets hot and it stalls. It'scaused by a lack of spark which can be either the ECU's fault (on EFI cars), or the coil on prettymuch any car.Heat causes expansion. The ECU or the coil gets hot and expands. This expansion can separate afine / broken circuit inside causing it to not be able to conduct the electric signal that tells the coil tospark, or it could be inside the coil and it simply can't deliver any spark even if the ECU is telling itto. In this situation, you can usually re-start the engine once it has had a chance to cool back downand it'll run just fine until it warms-up again and stalls. This is a tell-tale sign that there is a hair linefracture in the ECU's circuit or in one of the coil's windings that separates and loses connectionwhen it gets hot and expands.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    I recommend you purchase a Bentley manual and get familiar with the car. It will make your life soooo much easier. It could be a number of things and the Bentley will help you test the different components.
    Having said that, the coil does sound reasonable but I've only had 2 go bad.