Thread: BMW Original Paint

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i

BMW Original Paint

So I have some rust in my engine bay that I need to sand down and repaint, but I’m having trouble finding the original paint in a spray can. I need Koronagelb paint code 148 and I just can’t find it anywhere. If anyone has any ideas of where I could get it, or if you bought original paint themselves let me know where I can find it.

My other question is how closely would the new and old paint match up, it doesn’t need to be perfect but I would like it to be pretty unnoticeable.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I Dunno what kind of foot print Tasco is but find the oldest guy in the shop and get a paint match. Or do a ppg paint single stage made from the color code.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyE21 View Post
    So I have some rust in my engine bay that I need to sand down and repaint, but I’m having trouble finding the original paint in a spray can. I need Koronagelb paint code 148 and I just can’t find it anywhere. If anyone has any ideas of where I could get it, or if you bought original paint themselves let me know where I can find it.

My other question is how closely would the new and old paint match up, it doesn’t need to be perfect but I would like it to be pretty unnoticeable.

Reach out to the folks at 66 Autocolor. They can do 1k (single stage) or 2k (base/clear) automotive paint with the SprayMax system, basically professional grade paint in a spray can. I have found them to be very helpful in selecting materials, etc. via the phone.

As long as the color is in their database, it should be easy, otherwise you might need to send them a sample to match or find a local paint supply house that can match paint and put it into a spray can.

https://www.66autocolor.com/

I recommend taking off your gas filler door to use for matching paint. Much easier to carry around or ship to a supplier.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    When I got my car painted, they were able to get the paint from the paint code alone. PPG single stage.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i
    66 Autocolor looks promising, I’ll give them a call today.