Thread: 2018 BMW X1 - Clicking noise when temps below freezing

My Cars
    2018 BMW X1

2018 BMW X1 - Clicking noise when temps below freezing

Hello! Bought a used 2018 BMW x1 in Dec 2021, 39K miles. Shortly after I got it, I started noticing this clicking/clunking sound coming from the passenger side right front end when going over bumps, especially when cold out. I know this isn't normal. It doesn't happen when driving straight on smooth roads or when turning, just on uneven roads. Now, I have noticed it starting on the driver's side. Wondering if this is suspension related, shocks, AWD system? Also the front brakes on this car totally suck, way too grippy and uncomfortable to drive; not like this on other cars I've driven. Brakes are aftermarket, wonder if related as well? Any thoughts for me to tell mechanic? I think they think I'm nuts.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    The clunking noise could be swaybar end links. When they get worn and have some play in them, they will make noise when hitting bumps. They are low cost to replace. In fact, if you have a shop replace them you’ll pay way more for the labor than for the parts.

For the brakes…have you owned a BMW previously? They come with good brakes, better than many other makes, so if it’s your first time driving a BMW, maybe you need to adjust to the brakes. Now, aftermarket brake pads can have different coefficient of friction, snd be grippier than stock brake pads. I put Hawk HPS pads on all of my street vehicles because I prefer their better friction over stock. Plus they produce less dust.

At 39k miles, the X3 may have new (aftermarket) brakes. That’s easy to check. Keep in mind that if you want stock BMW pads put on, they are very expensive compared to aftermarket pads.

-rb