Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Elusive Beast of The North East pt.2

My Cars
    none

The Elusive Beast of The North East pt.2

OG's, and new friends, grab some popcorn and join me for story time.

For those that are new here's the old thread
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-the-NorthEast!!

So I want to make this short and sweet but I know that ain't gonna happen. Long story long then, let's go! This is to the best of my memory and is a story over the course of the past 10+ years.

Many things have lead me to where I am at now. It's been a journey for sure and totally did some things out of order but I got no crystal ball and straight hustling to get where I'm at now. I can say I finally feel blessed to be in the position I am. It hasn't been without fail.

During the project with the white car, I had been bouncing around from place to place, shop to shop with all my parts and the car. Getting diagnosed with a strange case of stage 4 cancer in the process. Then my parents loosing their house where I was living. Being homeless for a while living with friends, still dealing/fighting with the cancer.

I had put the car in storage, while dealing with whatever the hell happened to Bavarian Solutions. The original "1400hp M52" some of you OG's will remember, well that went missing for a couple years. It never actually moved far but was caught in their whole mess, where they were locked out of their own shop due to legal reasons. I hired some muscle and sent them there to collect my motor which they did. Unbelievable but glad to have it back.

Really should have learned my lesson then about paying up front for custom parts. Anyways, tried putting the car together at a friend's shop and bought him a lift, got pretty far, just started having a falling out with him, while he was fixing regular cars I was building cool sh*t.

All these years the one thing I wished I did was build a shop first. Start a shop. Live in a warehouse. Do anything that would get me my own space. Something I had full control over. Still dealing with cancer and living with friends I got into real estate because I needed a place of my own. Ended up buying a place of my own and fixing it up. No shop tho. Stuff was in storage from leaving my buddies.

Met a cool dude who had a shop on his parents land. Just a little far away for me but they were super amazing cool ass people. Helped me in more ways then I know. Shout out to the entire Sedia family. Eventually felt like I was ready for the next chapter.

So got a little place on a farm in a building they used to store dirt. Way closer to home tho so didn't care at first. Could never keep anything clean in there, go figure. Plus there was no office or running water but there was a lift. Being close to home was cool, the shop sucked and, the vibe was beat.

Enter the Undercover Performance years. I had this ProEFI ECU sitting since 2011. Staring at the car daily in a dirty shop doing nothing. Saw this place was close enough to me and they had a dyno. I setup an appointment and wanted to pay them to help me wire the car and tune it. I had been tuning for years but didn't know much about the ProEFI other than how awesome it sounded.

By the end of that meeting they hired me to run the entire fabrication department there. The current guy was leaving with all his equipment. I would move out of the dirty shop on the farm and bring all my equipment with me. It was great for the first year. I got fully immersed into doing high level fabrication on some of the wildest cars. I was surrounded by some talented people, which I loved, and was able to sit back and take that in.

Couple years into that, they sold to a new owner for various reasons. I was my own entity within their building and mostly unaffected until things really started going down hill. By that time I had a pretty good following and met so many awesome people and built so many awesome cars!

When they went out of business I had no plan. Five people that had cars in progress, begged me to take their stuff with me, wherever I was going. I stored everything for 6 months before getting my first legit space ever. Completely on my own. Cancer still sucks but I give it hell everyday so fu*k it.

Now I was close to home. Had a way to sustain a real facility. Finally, I can get back to focusing on my craft. After getting some X Undercover projects back to their respective homes all across the country, I got back on the white car. Right around this time JT, Got PSI, John Terhaar, put the tube chassis M3 up for sale. The car almost got sold and shipped to Dubai.

I was broke from renting the shop and learning how to run a business. Struggling big time between the balance of working for friends and paying bill's. Bill's still suck. Lol.
    I called John and new my future was sitting in his garage. I begged him to sell me the car under the conditions he gave me 1 year to come up with the cash for the car because I was broke! He said your on pal! Shout out to Got Psi, my mf'n dude, John Terhaar! I had the cash 1 year later to the exact day!!

Boris, DJBorya called me to congratulate me and at the same time said the car is just a toy, not built correctly, home built POS. I said thanks bud, let him ramble, I think he forgot I've been to his place and seen his "works of art". He actually helped me get a new mid plate for the car because JT sold it to him before I picked up the car. I really appreciated that, honestly.

I brought the car home and Jimmy Bacogeorge, SM3, called me and wanted the white car bad. He was about to cage his silver car or another whole chassis entirely, I can't remember but it made sense for him and me to make a deal. Jimmy bought the white car and all its parts except anything that had to do with the Bav Sol 1400hp M52, the drysump, the turbo kit and ProEFI, and the first ever faceplated T56 Magnum in the world! Shout out to Liberty Gears.

Anyways, I was broke again, but my Dad died right around the time Jimmy bought the white car. I came into some cash and called Dynocom and ordered a 3500hp Hub dyno. I previously had SBblowz Techno Slick Top M3/4/5 here for part out. The dyno was 6 months out and I was bored so I spent a lot of time finishing random builds and trying to help Karan part out the car.

For whatever reason, it seemed like this car came here for a reason. This was a built MaxPSI car. Built motor, big turbo, standalone, you name it. I showed the car to a ton of prospective buyers. Couldn't even get $4,500 for a motor with 15k in receipts. Karan got tired of it and so did I. He came to pick it up but then asked me if I just wanted to buy it, he was over it.

The damn car set me up, the heart of the Elusive Beast, ProEFI, some Maximum Psi goodness, all in one place, under my roof, I bought the car screaming FU*K Cancer, let's go. I completely updated the car until the dyno showed up. By now I'm one of the most respected tuners in my area. Wired up a E36 Xtreme Street Package using a ProEFI 128 ECU, did the first start, shed some tears because it went flawlessly, almost too easy (No Smoke LOL).

The results you see here at the time, and still may be, the worlds highest horsepower S52. If you're still following me, that's not a typo. I decided to get it running on the motor that came in the car. I expected it to scatter all over the floor, not sure why, I just didn't trust it. It didn't disappoint. It was mint at 42psi! It just didn't like 54psi boost! Well, it did, just till it didn't...

...and we are just getting started.

Much more to come! For those that have stuck by my side during this journey, I appreciate you more than words can explain! Cancer still sucks but I want to show what's possible if you dedicate yourself to a dream! Thankful to be here sharing this with yall!

Dyno Video Here! This was after the update and 1 session on the dyno before I put the source to the top of the gate and pulled the bottom line off!

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/623a7618...8901264608.mp4

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Colby Colbs; 03-23-2022 at 12:07 AM.

My Cars
    none
    So, since recieving the yellow car, all I have done is collect parts for it. I haven't begun starting that project. As much as I want to, the purple car has a decent following and, people want to see it out. That has been the main focus, as difficult as it has been getting parts and, manufacturing parts during the last two years, I have managed to collect everything for it.

So, when I acquired the car, it had a whole Maximum Psi Turbo kit, Efi package, and fuel system. It had made big power back in the day but it sat for a long time with ethanol in the tank. These were the results from that.

So now we knew why the fuel pump wasn't priming! Next I got my old tuning laptop out of my attic and plugged into the AEM. Soon as I saw the software, I decided to rip it out. Admittedly, spoiled. Once you experience a well calibrated ProEFI setup, it's really really tough to give that up.

So out came the whole efi setup and still have most of it if anyone is interested in it. Will split up the M&W CDI Ignition system with harness and coils. The AEM ecu itself sold already. Still have the old super stout RC 1000cc injectors as well if anyone needs a set. I had them cleaned and matched by FID.

Last edited by Colby Colbs; 03-23-2022 at 11:04 PM.

My Cars
    99' 323is, 99' 328is
    Awesome builds man, great work for sure! Thanks for sharing! I always wondered wtf happened with bavsol.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525

My Cars
    |99 Turbo M3 | 2K7 335|
    nice ! I remember the yellow one from Pass Time..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll3vG4AFxmY&t=13s

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsR View Post
    Awesome builds man, great work for sure! Thanks for sharing! I always wondered wtf happened with bavsol.
    Poof... gone; like a great magic trick!

Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    Thanks Punkin'

Quote Originally Posted by gnarfy View Post
    nice ! I remember the yellow one from Pass Time..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll3vG4AFxmY&t=13s
    Only if the Tech caught up with that chassis!

My Cars
    none
    This car will be better than the white car could have ever been. I'm a much better fabricator, have experience setting cars up, racing/tuning at Import Vs Domestic, etc. It's the culmination of everything I have learned as a whole. Plus this car is a full blown full interior street car to cruise to events and stuff.

My Cars
    none
    Since the car came with an already started widebody kit, I decided to hang it to see what it looks like. Then ended up molding it into the body because I personally don't like the screwed on type. This was a ton of work and only did this side. I still need to finish the other side.

M3 Gang!

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsR View Post
    I always wondered wtf happened with bavsol.
    I spoke with Dave after he packed it in as I was hoping to change his mind. But some awful experiences with shitty people made him sour at the whole idea, as in terms of finance, the business was basically a hobby.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    I spoke with Dave after he packed it in as I was hoping to change his mind. But some awful experiences with shitty people made him sour at the whole idea, as in terms of finance, the business was basically a hobby.
    That is absolutely rubbish and no excuse. You fire those MF'ERs, you find new suppliers, or you find someone new to do your development. Find a new shop to run your business out of, find a new machinist. You learn the ins and outs and either rise to the challenge, or quit. You don't just dissapear on your customers. Dave wasn't involved in any of the work but claimed its was the best work and done properly. Yet he had no way to validate any of those claims.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    That is absolutely rubbish and no excuse. You fire those MF'ERs, you find new suppliers, or you find someone new to do your development. Find a new shop to run your business out of, find a new machinist. You learn the ins and outs and either rise to the challenge, or quit. You don't just dissapear on your customers. Dave wasn't involved in any of the work but claimed its was the best work and done properly. Yet he had no way to validate any of those claims.
    It wasn't suppliers but customers that needed firing.

My Cars
    none
    When you take YEARS to complete an engine for a customer, the writing is on the wall. I paid in cash and upfront, my mistake. My honda motor leaked out of every place possible because they reused all the gaskets. Then on my s52 they didn't put galley plugs in the engine and it was down for way too long. Finally, Mike Radowski fixed that deal.

The original 1400hp m52 has been disassembled and inspected. It had STANDARD PINS in it. There was also a bunch of dirt in the engine, looked like it was assembled in a dirty shop by a rookie. I can go on but it's really pointless. It's over with and sorted at this point.

Lastly, I get the whole firing customers thing, I've done it myself and has its purpose but, that WAS NOT their issue.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    It's not my story so I'm not getting into any details but everyone's got a version of their story. Someone asked what happened to bavsol, and that's a plot summary of his story. My story is that my extensive dealings with him have been some of the best of any performance automotive shop, going above and beyond.

My Cars
    none
    It's not my story so I'm not getting into any details but everyone's got a version of their story. Someone asked what happened to bavsol, and that's a plot summary of his story. My story is that my extensive dealings with him have been some of the best of any performance automotive shop, going above and beyond.
    I'm just sharing facts. That motor would have been another failure of theirs and glad I knew better to take it apart before running it. I had the best experience until I didn't. So I'm not surprised to hear your experience and it doesn't change my deal. I would imagine you also just bought parts from them? Had a cylinder head done? In every failed business you will have some success stories. I'm also not bitter, give a single f*ck, or even care to use it as an excuse but, the facts will remain. When everything went downhill there was a custom damper that I paid for that I never received. I was mad about it and emailed Dave and called him repeatedly to no avail. No less than $1,500 maybe $1800. Straight burn but it's all good, moving on to another engine builder and doing my own program has taken me right where I needed to be. I chalk it up to a learning experience and moved forward. The trip down memory lane was nice and wanted to be transparent.

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    So I'm not surprised to hear your experience and it doesn't change my deal.
    Yep, and not my intent.

I would imagine you also just bought parts from them?
    Correct, with local machining. I could never use a remote machinist unless I had no other choice. Unless you're building a cookiecutter engine where it's basically just an add to cart deal, there are so many things that can go wrong even with the best shops if you're not on top of them every step, making sure shit's done to your spec.

My Cars
    none
    Yep, and not my intent.

Correct, with local machining. I could never use a remote machinist unless I had no other choice. Unless you're building a cookiecutter engine where it's basically just an add to cart deal, there are so many things that can go wrong even with the best shops if you're not on top of them every step, making sure shit's done to your spec.
    Totally understood and agree!

My Cars
    none
    I didn't take many pictures of the wiring process, what I did is on my IG @_LUXFAB. However, I did shoot a lot of that content on video. One of my buddies is going to start chopping that up and posting it to youtube so I can link it up here. It's all on my PC otherwise I would just up the mobile app and load it from the phone like the dyno video.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I'm impressed, and I'm hard to please.

Best of luck with cancer__more people beat it every year__never give in, never stop fighting.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I'm impressed, and I'm hard to please.

Best of luck with cancer__more people beat it every year__never give in, never stop fighting.
    I will beat it every day in and every day out! Just so far gone before the found it, got all they can, and watch the rest to make sure it doesn't spread anymore.

In other news, we have a video page now! Your support means a lot! Thanks Randy!

https://youtube.com/channel/UCMnK0q-6-tZPp7flRAa-jhg

Last edited by Colby Colbs; 04-26-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Keep it going Colby, your work and resilience has been impressive to follow!

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    none
    Things have been pretty hectic around here. It's about to be crunch time. If you want to see the completed rear end setup click the link below and watch till the end. Lots of good stuff under there, can't wait to drop the clutch.

https://youtu.be/WujFwiUPp2o

My Cars
    BMWs
    Just watched a couple vids - jealous of the dyno man. I rolled my E34 to Matt's for inspection last month... I need to touch up the tune and unglitter the oil. Two kids now make it a little challenging. Keep doing your thing, Colby.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Just watched a couple vids - jealous of the dyno man. I rolled my E34 to Matt's for inspection last month... I need to touch up the tune and unglitter the oil. Two kids now make it a little challenging. Keep doing your thing, Colby.
    That's awesome man, thank you for the support. That dyno is a beast a such a fantastic tool for tuning, it really is like no other.

My Cars
    none
    Super secret squirrel stuff right here.

Tripple pump intank setup. No fuel cell here folks. Made 1230 with two and perfect fuel pressure of 120psi. 67~68psi base fuel pressure plus copious amounts of up arrow manipulation.

My Cars
    none
    And a picture of the Titanium Exhaust Manifold Stud/Nut kit! With the torx/e socket head For the corrosion freaks out there this is a game changer! Lifetime exhaust manifold hardware.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast