Thread: Support with Transmission Oil Change

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Support with Transmission Oil Change

Hey.

I just did a transmission oil and filter change on my 5hp24 ('03 540i).

Something is very odd though, and this is what I would like your opinions on. I was following a TIS and ZF's guide and everything was going as expected until I got to the procedure of topping up fluid. I could not get a thin stream of oil to come out of my oil pan... And I put more than what I took out, and more than what the Bentley manual says the 5hp24 takes for a transmission fluid change without changing torque converter fluids. So I am confused. I feel like too much was put in but apparently oil level is still low. First thing I want to verify is if I am measuring correctly. Here is how I measured:

I:
    - Turned the car on
    - Immediately ran through the gears as described
    - Since my car was not at temperature, I waited until it was, then ran through the gears again before removing the fill bolt and checking oil level. First time I checked there was no drips at all. The most I got after adding pretty much all the oil I had was a 2-3 drips per second. No stream

This was my understanding of ZF's procedure described here (As you can see, they say shift through gears. If transmission isn't at temperature wait, then once it reaches temperature shift through gears again. Did I misunderstand it perhaps?
    zf.png
    Last edited by E0339; 03-20-2022 at 08:45 PM. Reason: To upload photo properly
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe the tranny was low on fluid before you started??
    If only a few drips came out you were right at the correct fluid level.
    Stick your finger in the hole and see if the level is at the bottom of the hole.
    Have you driven it yet, does is shift OK?

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    How much did you put back so far?

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    If it drips when transmission temperature is 30 to 50 degrees Celsius, fluid is at the right level.

Top it off anyway : it could take an extra 1/2 quart or so. This transmission is better off over filled than under filled.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Maybe the tranny was low on fluid before you started??
    If only a few drips came out you were right at the correct fluid level.
    Stick your finger in the hole and see if the level is at the bottom of the hole.
    Have you driven it yet, does is shift OK?
    I'll stick my finger in and see where we're at. That thought also crossed my mind. I drained about 3.7L. Bentley says the transmission oil change without torque converter is 4L. So perhaps it was low by 300 ml. I've put in about 5.5L though. This is confusing for two reasons:

If my transmission was low, it wasn't low by 1.5L. It was low by 300ml. Where did the other 1.5L go hide to?

Bentley says an oil change without torque converter is 4L, not 5L or more.

Haven't driven it yet. I wanted to double check my work first, and ensure it's at the proper level
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    How much did you put back so far?
    About 5.5L

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Maybe Bentleys was wrong, it’s happened before.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Maybe Bentleys was wrong, it’s happened before.
    Oh ok. What are your thoughts about the amount I drained vs what I put in? Shouldn't they be close to equal?

Edit: Does putting in 5+ litres of oil into the transmission during an oil change seem too much? Or is it on par with your experience of doing transmission oil changes?
    Last edited by E0339; 03-20-2022 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Did you change the filter? On my 525it, changing the filter adds a good liter to the total because of what doesn't drain out when you just pull the plug. Regardless, I'd fill it until it starts running out, then let the overfill run out, then, engine still running, screw in the fill plug. While I would expect issues if it was a liter or or more low, you need to fill it up. Doesn't matter what came out, it needs to be full. If you really want to stress and be perfect about it, drive it for a week or two, then check the level again. Granted it's a PITA to even check, but if you want to make sure, make sure. I would expect evidence, meaning signs of a leak if it was down a quart or more, but it doesn't matter, you need to fill it now.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I agree with Mike.
    I have a 6 speed so it’s just drain and fill until it runs out the fill hole, same for the diff.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    If it drips when transmission temperature is 30 to 50 degrees Celsius, fluid is at the right level.

Top it off anyway : it could take an extra 1/2 quart or so. This transmission is better off over filled than under filled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    Did you change the filter? On my 525it, changing the filter adds a good liter to the total because of what doesn't drain out when you just pull the plug. Regardless, I'd fill it until it starts running out, then let the overfill run out, then, engine still running, screw in the fill plug. While I would expect issues if it was a liter or or more low, you need to fill it up. Doesn't matter what came out, it needs to be full. If you really want to stress and be perfect about it, drive it for a week or two, then check the level again. Granted it's a PITA to even check, but if you want to make sure, make sure. I would expect evidence, meaning signs of a leak if it was down a quart or more, but it doesn't matter, you need to fill it now.
    I agree with Mike.
    I have a 6 speed so it’s just drain and fill until it runs out the fill hole, same for the diff.
    Thanks all. Yes, I changed the filter, too. I guess I must've been low! Yikes. I'll be going back under the car with the remaining 400ml of fluid I found. I HOPE that will be enough. Does anyone see any reason for the transmission temperature to be higher than engine oil and coolant temperatures after the car has been sitting for 24 hours (And is fully cooled down?) by a few degrees (up to five). Reason I'm asking is INPA is telling me trans temp higher than all other liquids
    Last edited by E0339; 03-20-2022 at 11:36 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Success.

And slipping is gone. I did a 180 with wheel spin with absolutely no issues.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Great thread. Its been about 60k miles since my transmission fluid and filter were changed. Nothing unusual to report about that change that occurred with roughly 120k on the odometer. M62 pre vanos with auto transmission code A5S440Z.

I think its common knowledge that these transmissions were designed to "never have transmission fluid changed." I think its also common knowledge that not changing the transmission fluid periodically is a bad idea.

My question, is there any general consensus on how often the transmission fluid and filter should be changed as a matter of good general maintenance?

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Depending on your driving style (right foot) probably somewhere between 60-100K miles would be good.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Thanks, Jimlev.

Right foot is pretty heavy and the transmission is working fine. I'll put it on the agenda.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Yes, 60 - 100K miles is about right for a transmission service (filter and fluid).

I'd change the fluid only -simple drain and fill- more frequently, every couple years, so at about 20 K miles intervals. Note this will only refresh 60% of the oil..

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    At the risk of turning this into another oil thread, my .02 is do the filter once, ~100K, and a simple drain and fill every 30-50K afterwards. Too often wastes a bit of money, although fluid seems cheaper and more available than it used to be, so no big deal, not often enough promotes premature wear, not a good thing. Too often won't hurt anything, except your wallet. Too rarely might.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    At the risk of turning this into another oil thread, my .02 is do the filter once, ~100K, and a simple drain and fill every 30-50K afterwards. Too often wastes a bit of money, although fluid seems cheaper and more available than it used to be, so no big deal, not often enough promotes premature wear, not a good thing. Too often won't hurt anything, except your wallet. Too rarely might.
    True that. Especially if FCPEuro is used.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    How do these numbers match up?

Transmission Fluid Capacities.jpg

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    OK so I have to ask. ‘02 E39 M62 intermittently throws a “Trans. Fail Safe” warning
    The car runs perfect! No changes whatsoever in shifting.
    I’m a little over 100 K. Is this indicative of fluid and filter needing to be changed?
    TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 300kplus View Post
    OK so I have to ask. ‘02 E39 M62 intermittently throws a “Trans. Fail Safe” warning
    The car runs perfect! No changes whatsoever in shifting.
    I’m a little over 100 K. Is this indicative of fluid and filter needing to be changed?
    TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Typically it's indicative of low battery voltage. Make sure your battery and alternator are up to snuff.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    Typically it's indicative of low battery voltage. Make sure your battery and alternator are up to snuff.
    +1 on this.

Both times my alternator crapped out my trans threw that code

You're at 100,000. Why not change the fluid anyway?

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    How do these numbers match up?

Transmission Fluid Capacities.jpg
    Looks good for the without torque converter 5hp24 numbers.

For context my trans fluid was *very low* and I used 6L. If yours isn't leaking like mine is, 6L should be plenty.