Thread: Intermittent electris steering problem

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5

Intermittent electris steering problem

2003 Z4 2.5 5 speed manual 150k miles

The steering light comes on intermittently and the steering is very hard to turn. After a minute the steering returns to normal but the yellow steering wheel indicator stays on. the steering only fails at start up, never while driving.

This may or may not be related. I also have an intermittent failure with the right turn signal. The right turn signal will fast flash as if there is a burnt out bulb. There are no bad bulbs and I have switched all the left bulbs with the right side bulbs with no difference. I am guessing it is some sort of poor ground somewhere.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

My Cars
    1987 325is, 2006 Z4 3.0i
    Sounds like a difficult issue. Your best bet is to check all the grounds as that’s probably the easiest one to start with. From there start tracing wires and connections.

Good luck

dj Roo
    ‘87 325is, ‘06 Z4

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    Get anywhere with this? My electric power steering also began failing on occasional startups, then fine when you turn the ignition off, then back on. It now progressed into failing while driving, the yellow light remaining on, and the assist working when it wants to.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    Get anywhere with this? My electric power steering also began failing on occasional startups, then fine when you turn the ignition off, then back on. It now progressed into failing while driving, the yellow light remaining on, and the assist working when it wants to.
    Mine does the same thing. Seems to be a real lack of institutional knowledge on these EPS systems.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    This is from an on-going posting from the Z4 Forum which is mainly used by owners from the UK regarding the EPS. E86: Power Steering Dead - Z4-forum.com

Apparently, there is a vender in the UK who rebuilds EPS for Z4's.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
    This is from an on-going posting from the Z4 Forum which is mainly used by owners from the UK regarding the EPS. E86: Power Steering Dead - Z4-forum.com

Apparently, there is a vender in the UK who rebuilds EPS for Z4's.
    Yeah, ecutesting.com is the site. From my understanding it is common that the EPS module will not communicate with the diagnostic software when in failure. I know my car will communicate and I can read and reset codes, but they come back immediately. Something about overheating with steering reduction, but it happens as soon as you start the car, even when cold. At some point will probably try removing the motor and sending it out for repairs, but kind of not looking forward to tearing into it. Procrastinating that job hard.

Although reading that thread a guy says he can get the motor out in an hour. That sounds more my speed: "In fact, with a 12-point 8mm ratchet ring spanner you can get the bolts out without removing anything other than the trim panels for access."
    Last edited by clarkitect; 12-22-2022 at 07:12 AM.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Yeah, ecutesting.com is the site. From my understanding it is common that the EPS module will not communicate with the diagnostic software when in failure. I know my car will communicate and I can read and reset codes, but they come back immediately. Something about overheating with steering reduction, but it happens as soon as you start the car, even when cold. At some point will probably try removing the motor and sending it out for repairs, but kind of not looking forward to tearing into it. Procrastinating that job hard.

Although reading that thread a guy says he can get the motor out in an hour. That sounds more my speed: "In fact, with a 12-point 8mm ratchet ring spanner you can get the bolts out without removing anything other than the trim panels for access."

Yea, I read that posting as well. I just wanted to give you guy's a heads-up since the dealership will kill you $$ for this repair. That guy who posted about an hour, appears from many of his prior posting to be very handy, as well as a good guy. You might want to sign on to that forum so you can ask him questions before starting this. Hope all goes well.