Thread: E24 635i spoiler question related to fitment between 87/89

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34

E24 635i spoiler question related to fitment between 87/89

Looking for a little help, I'm usually on the e28/e23 forums but need some e24 knowledge.
    Will a 87 OEM spoiler work/fit on a 89 with the world bumpers?
    The original brackets appear to be the same.
    I know the two spoilers have a visual difference, checking on fitment.
    Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Are you talking about the front air dam or the rear spoiler? The rear spoiler should fit with no issues.

If the front air dam is from a US non World Bumper, it will not fit.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Should have been more clear on the question.
    Front spoiler, why wouldn't it fit? Could the early brackets/spoiler be modified to work?
    I've done a search and really didn't find any definitive answers.
    Last edited by kojo96; 03-16-2022 at 12:01 AM.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    I did a World bumper swap to to my US 86. At first I did mount the US dam to the World but the sides of the dam never lined up. The US bolted from the side of the corners under the black rubber covering. The World bolted to the bottom of the fenders.
    Also, I couldn't use the US brackets with the World dam, they wouldn't line up. On the US bumper there's no way to hide the cutouts that slips under the corner coverings. I installed carriage bolts, fabricated brackets to pull up the ends of the dam then painted them to match body color. Hard to see in the photo, but you can see the edge of the dam does not line up like the world dam.

So, I wound up ordering a new World dam from BMW with new brackets, temperature probe and fogs. I couldn't swap the probe. Yeah, not cheap almost 2 grand. It made a difference for me. I sold the US dam with brackets and temp probe.

If you don't mind the fit on the sides it can be done. I hope this helped.

Bob V

World.jpg US.jpg

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Bob, couldn't have asked for a better answer. Thanks very much!

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Let us know what you decided and pics of the install.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 633CSi
    Where did you order the air dam from? I just acquired 1980 633 (see below). No air dam just USA bumper and the shallow valance. I like the air dam without fog lights but will install whatever fits best. Found a replica single piece euro bumper air dam on following link, but worry the bumper will it actually be strong enough for a occasional taps from parallel parking in NYC: https://www.classiceuroparts.com/pro...no-fog-lights/ . They have other E24 bumper / spoiler options as well. I prefer no fog lights and also the air dam appears to be not as low as the M, which would be a bit more pot holes friendly.

My new car here!!!! Still waiting on delivery but doing my research now.
    Last edited by Nick.in.Brklyn; 12-18-2022 at 10:53 AM.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Do I think an air dam really makes the car, absolutely but with that said, I have two E24's and am on the east coast as well. Parking lot cement stops, potholes and speed bumps have trashed mine so many times, have repaired only for them to last a year or so. Sadly, our wonderful politicians rely on everyone having an SUV so there is no need to put money towards roads, let's use it for other stuff that benefits the few rather than the many who commute to work.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    1980 BMW 633CSi

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    Do I think an air dam really makes the car, absolutely but with that said, I have two E24's and am on the east coast as well. Parking lot cement stops, potholes and speed bumps have trashed mine so many times, have repaired only for them to last a year or so. Sadly, our wonderful politicians rely on everyone having an SUV so there is no need to put money towards roads, let's use it for other stuff that benefits the few rather than the many who commute to work.
    Play stupid games win stupid prizes I just bought this car at an online auction without driving in person, now I'm getting it shipped cross country in the winter, you must know I'm going to do more dumb things. What's the best bad decision? Did you use a replica or find original parts? Be an enabler!

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Nick,

You'll have to do a bunch of research on this. You're 80 633 is based on the 5 series E12
    In 1982 the 6 series is based on the 5 series E28. You'll have to see what part #'s are
    compatible if any. Not only the bumpers and trim, but also brackets and bumper shocks.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

When I did my swap I swapped from E28 based 1986 US bumpers to E28 based 1988 World bumpers.

This approach would be the same for a front air dam.
    The link you posted is for a Euro version, not US

My Cars
    1980 BMW 633CSi
    Yes I've read about the lack of parts for gen 1 E24s. I think the part in the link might be suitable for a full swap if I can also get the Euro bumper shocks. Maybe the world bumper / air dam you did is easier based on your post above I could avoid the initial mistakes. For world bumper did you use the US shocks?

Here's the statement at the bottom of that part page but would love to hear from someone who actually bought and used it:

"US spec cars– You will need to have adaptor brackets made or use our Euro spec brackets- they can be purchased at our shop. If you use our Euro brackets- you will need to secure them to your chassis rails with 2 bolts each- holes need to be drilled in the rails. Also some small trimming is needed to the front underbody metal to allow the brackets to pass through.
    The bumper has built in mounting points- the same as the Euro metal factory bumper. Due to the larger US chassis rail ends you will be able to bolt this bumper (and any factory one too) to the Euro brackets with only one M8 bolt per side but it holds on good.
    The side arch ends of the bumper have the same adjustable type mounting points as factory metal bumper.
    The bumper has built in mounting spot for the OBC temperature sensor."
    Last edited by Nick.in.Brklyn; 12-19-2022 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    I used the 1989 US world bumper shocks.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 633CSi
    What made you choose world bumpers instead of Euro? I will keep this car in garage at my office in Queens, but occasionally park on the street in Brooklyn where a little bumper tap from a parallel parker is not uncommon. If world bumpers hold up better than Euro maybe I should do that, if not just leave the diving boards altogether. Thoughts on actual functionality / sturdiness of world bumpers out in the wild?

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Both of mine are OEM and so came with the car.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.in.Brklyn View Post
    What made you choose world bumpers instead of Euro? I will keep this car in garage at my office in Queens, but occasionally park on the street in Brooklyn where a little bumper tap from a parallel parker is not uncommon. If world bumpers hold up better than Euro maybe I should do that, if not just leave the diving boards altogether. Thoughts on actual functionality / sturdiness of world bumpers out in the wild?
    You can collapse the shocks by drilling them and letting the fluid out and then putting a small bolt or screw through them to lock them in place. This will allow you to tuck the diving boards in closer to the car itself
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    First, I like the look of the World over the Euro. Second, it's a much easier swap.
    Like Bert said, you can tuck in the bumper by collapsing the shocks, but there
    will be a slight gap at the front of the end caps. Most would probably never notice.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 633CSi
    I'm confused about the Gen 1 air dam / front spoiler variations. The car I have (see above) has US bumpers and a small black valance under the bumper. The euro bumpers from this era seem to have a small body color front spoiler see here: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/...mw-e24-633-csi

This is quite different than the larger Gen 2 air dam with fog lights.

Is this just original Euro bumper with spoiler?

If not how would I refer to it? That's the look I'm going for, though would also do world bumpers if they mount easily to a Gen 1 frame.

Also find it confusing, Spoiler, air dam and valance get thrown around in different meanings based on who's talking.
    Last edited by Nick.in.Brklyn; 12-23-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarity

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Front under bumper =air dam
    Back on trunk = spoiler
    Under rear bumper = valance

I don't know the Gen 1 info.

You may also see if you can get info from

https://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/index.ph...5d8785e4361e4e
    Last edited by 1986series6; 12-23-2022 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 633CSi
    I regularly see people on forums and in sales description say front spoiler and valance to different parts under the front bumper. Your definitions are what I previously understood though valance is entirely new to me.

QUOTE=1986series6;30853142]Front under bumper =air dam
    Back on trunk = spoiler
    Under rear bumper = valance

I don't know the Gen 1 info.

You may also see if you can get info from

https://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/index.ph...5d8785e4361e4e[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB