eBMWParts

Thread: Damage to X5 M at tire shop

My Cars
    2016 F85 X5 M

Damage to X5 M at tire shop

Hello guys, new to the forum but have used it extensively in the past for references and just for good, fun and useful reads.

Need your advice please, I know it may be a lengthy read but sincerely appreciate your guys' input.

I suddenly find my self in a frustrating situation, I took my car, 2016 X5 M, for swapping winter tires to summer ones to a Discount Tire location I've used in the past (I just think dealership is way to expensive for any tire services or purchases) and they f@$#ed my car, a lug came off the front right tire because it was not tightened properly (all 5 were not), this was less than 2 miles after leaving the shop, I brought it back for them to check what was wrong as the car didn't feel good, this was it, on top of that, I noticed a VERY bumpy ride in the backend (all this after leaving for the first time so had no idea of what could be wrong, hence why I turned around and took it back) they said that yeah, they messed up the front right and they would cover the hub and lugs and any expenses related to it, and re-balanced all tires to see if that caused the bumpy ride (mmm), they said it was safe to drive it back home but I should take it to their preferred shop for the repairs (Merlin, yet another story...) it was until I got home that I inspected the car further that I saw the back end really low with small clearance from the tires to the fenders, so there, must be suspension damage as well and hence the bumpy ride! To make matters worse, the TPMS system is throwing an error, really??!! So in short, after calling back the manager of the location when reaching home and swearing a bit, he said to go back there on Monday (tomorrow) and they would make it all right, buuuuut...

1. I would never take my BMW M cars to a Merlin, Meineke, Midas, etc. I do all my services at the dealer and I'm afraid they could fudge up the car more or do a half a$$ repair
    2. They used a lug in the front right which is not one of the BMW ones as they said the hub was stripped, so now the car is missing a lug and 1 of the 4 remaining ones is a God know what lug which I'm afraid could damage my rim (brand new rims for summer tires, BMW one which I paid over 6K for from ECS Tuning! And the guy had the guts to ask if the rims were replicas which could be causing the issues, seriously??)
    3. Called my insurance as well and they said if the shop doesn't repair the damage they would, of course with me paying deductibles and what not, which would then be billed by my insurance to the shop's, but no guarantee they would pay fast or at all so I would be stuck with my insurance out of pocket expenses!

In shot, very frustrated, my car was perfectly fine yesterday morning with all BMW original parts, now it needs repairs and furious about the possibility of not getting original parts and bad service from a third party, any comments? Advice? Has anyone had a similar situation?

Thank you all!

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    you should go to the dealer, or an independent shop you trust - even if you flatbed it - and get another estimate of what needs to be done.

you went to Discount tire. that is the same as Meineke, Midas, as you have found.

I've been at this a long time, and the most I have done is the mounting at a tire shop. I take the mounted rims home, and do the changeover myself.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    you should go to the dealer, or an independent shop you trust - even if you flatbed it - and get another estimate of what needs to be done.

you went to Discount tire. that is the same as Meineke, Midas, as you have found.

I've been at this a long time, and the most I have done is the mounting at a tire shop. I take the mounted rims home, and do the changeover myself.
    ^^
    These chain "undercar" shops are nothing more than Earl Scheib with a wrench. AND by the time they are through with you are no less expensive than a good indy MECHANIC.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    none
    Any updates on the situation?

Been going to different Discount Tires without issues for many years. Recently moved to a new city and the shop installed wrong lugs and damaged my wheel -- but they agreed to replace it at their time, as they should. Hope they sorted out this one as well.