Thread: E60 M5 red cog of death, bad shifts, Possible to rebuild the SMG? Or replace trans?

My Cars
    95 325i, 2001 740iL

E60 M5 red cog of death, bad shifts, Possible to rebuild the SMG? Or replace trans?

Hello, my M5 was having some issues shifting when I first bought it with 85k miles. The issue at first was when I would shift from 7th to 6th it would clunk 3 times really hard like it was trying to shift but couldn't I then got the red cog of death. This eventually went away and I would just be careful to down shift to 5th and just skip over 6th on my downshifts but today I was really getting on the car and I got the red cog of death but now my shifts are horrifying clunky like nearly undriveable.

I had brought the car to BMW previously just to see what the problem might be, they simply told me "internal damage" and said it would be 15k for a new trans. Okay so my real question now is can I rebuild the transmission? I have heard that there are no rebuild kits for this transmission but I am curious if this is true or not. The other option is that I can just buy a transmission on ebay but I am slightly worried I will get another trans that has this 'internal damage'

I have tried resetting the adaptations by putting the car into neutral and holding the paddles but this did not seem to help at all.

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    There are no rebuild kits for this gearbox.

This fault with 6th gear is due to deformation of the shift fork and or failure of the syncro and blocking ring.

1. Replace with a good low mileage gearbox

2. Convert to 6 speed using the E90 M3 V8 gearbox, you will also need a clutch kit, flywheel, clutch pedal, slave cylinder, shifter, shifter arm driveshaft transmission mount etc. The SMG driveshaft can work but it must be extended about 31mm to fit correctly.

FCP Euro and ECS sell a conversion kit 21 21 2 283 648KT

Quote Originally Posted by Topkek69 View Post
    Hello, my M5 was having some issues shifting when I first bought it with 85k miles. The issue at first was when I would shift from 7th to 6th it would clunk 3 times really hard like it was trying to shift but couldn't I then got the red cog of death. This eventually went away and I would just be careful to down shift to 5th and just skip over 6th on my downshifts but today I was really getting on the car and I got the red cog of death but now my shifts are horrifying clunky like nearly undriveable.

I had brought the car to BMW previously just to see what the problem might be, they simply told me "internal damage" and said it would be 15k for a new trans. Okay so my real question now is can I rebuild the transmission? I have heard that there are no rebuild kits for this transmission but I am curious if this is true or not. The other option is that I can just buy a transmission on ebay but I am slightly worried I will get another trans that has this 'internal damage'

I have tried resetting the adaptations by putting the car into neutral and holding the paddles but this did not seem to help at all.