Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E90 CD Changer Install Problems

My Cars
    '98 328is, '06 E90 325xi

E90 CD Changer Install Problems

Hello everyone,
    Recently I at last had time to install a used CD changer into my 2006 E90 and after purchasing the necessary trim panel, etc. I followed the factory instructions to connect the MOST loop under the rear seat. After coding the 2RAD and seeing the "CDC" option on the display, sadly the changer still does not work. I've searched around here and elsewhere and have found sparse information regarding troubleshooting these, so if you all have time to consider my predicament a bit I'd appreciate it.
    The changer has power and one of the optic cables is blinking. It will cycle through all CDs but the CDC option is still grayed out in the radio menu. I've tried different discs (pro CDs, not CD-Rs) and also tried it with a disc in the head unit (that CD player works fine) with no luck.
    When coding, I was using the "default profile" with Mike's BMW Tools and had no problem modifying the 2RAD file and changing the "CDC" and "Ring_Status" Lines to "aktiv."
    When the changer didn't work after this, I tried coding via a VO change (remove $694, add $672 through CAS and FRM) but still the same. I'm thinking that I coded the unit properly since the CDC option immediately appeared in the menu.
    At this point, I'm leaning towards a problem in the MOST loop - either I did something wrong or it needs to be reset, which I've not yet attempted.
    Also, it's worth mentioning that I have no idea whether the CD changer I installed actually works - perhaps the lens is faulty. It's sat in my garage for several years since I purchased it from an ebay seller in Latvia. Perhaps it's worth it to try a different unit before I jump to any conclusions. Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance. Please let me know if I need to elaborate on any of the details.
    Regards,
    Josh

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Yes, find a known working, compatible CD changer and try that. If it works, you know you have a faulty unit that the seller isn't going to take back after a few years gap. If that known working one doesn't work, it means you may have other issues with the audio setup in the car and needs more fault finding.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    '98 328is, '06 E90 325xi
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, Dennis - I agree that having a known-good unit would sure help, but considering the mixed bag that the used ones are, I'm not necessarily counting on the replacement one (which I ordered just in case) working either. Does anyone have experience with this retrofit, and if so can you shed some light on any errors I may have made during coding? Perhaps I hooked up the optic loop incorrectly.
    Speaking of which, where is the connector for resetting the MOST bus in this car? This is a non-iDrive model if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for the input.

My Cars
    '98 328is, '06 E90 325xi
    Wanted to follow up on this old thread after darn near pulling my hair out over this.
    Lo and behold, after trying a second CD changer, the problem was definitely in either the wiring or the way I'd coded the radio.
    I decided, per other suggestions on this forum, to hook up the fibre optic loop in a different configuration than specified by the service manual. Sadly, the pictures I took have been buried in my photo folders somewhere, but suffice it to say, for this particular application the installation guide provided by BMW is incorrect.
    Definitely recommend anyone having a similar problem to double-check the optic cables. After installing them "incorrectly," the CDC icon is no longer grayed-out on the radio display and the changer works like a dream. Hope the best of luck for anyone tackling this (ultimately fun) project. Cheers.