Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering Rack Leak - Rebuild or Replace?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    If you buy a rack from Rack Doctor, do not expect ANY follow on support, replacement, or warranty. He promised to send parts, but never sent (multiple attempts). He offered to replace the rack, if I waited 6 weeks. Etc.

Rock Auto has rebuild kits for some of the racks. eg E46 330 rack https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4591632

Where's your leak?

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    Quote Originally Posted by Veleno View Post
    So my steering rack is starting to leak more, is Rack Doctor still a no go?

I tried looking on realoem to see if there is a rebuild kit but found nothing. Is there a rebuild kit available or is this not worth doing?

Is everyone just going the route of installing a used oem zhp/z3 unit? I would think even a used unit would need a rebuild before installing unless you know for sure it doesn't leak?
    If you are considering DIY'ing it, there is a fairly comprehensive rebuild video posted here: https://youtu.be/W9drVXzCOuM . Keep in mind it's for an e46 rack and he states that some of the seals are different vs. e36 vs. e30 / etc. The seal kit he uses is a Corteco 13X044VS 25pcs kit - again for E46 racks.

He seems to do a pretty good job, however, the seals should be lubed with ATF when installing and he should be using plastic wedges with the seals vs. screwdrivers. (I use the ones that come with cell phone repair kits).

If I had the time I would raid a bunch of yellow tag racks and rebuild them.
    Last edited by jaysonx; 10-04-2022 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    If you buy a rack from Rack Doctor, do not expect ANY follow on support, replacement, or warranty. He promised to send parts, but never sent (multiple attempts). He offered to replace the rack, if I waited 6 weeks. Etc.

Rock Auto has rebuild kits for some of the racks. eg E46 330 rack https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4591632

Where's your leak?
    Yeah I think I'm going to pass on RD.
    Thanks for the link to RA. A rebuilt "Cardone" unit will only cost me shipping fees after I return my core for a refund (and comes with a 36 month warranty). Sounds like a good deal to me!
    My rack is leaking on the passenger's side boot cover.

Quote Originally Posted by jaysonx View Post
    If you are considering DIY'ing it, there is a fairly comprehensive rebuild video posted here: https://youtu.be/W9drVXzCOuM . Keep in mind it's for an e46 rack and he states that some of the seals are different vs. e36 vs. e30 / etc. The seal kit he uses is a Corteco 13X044VS 25pcs kit - again for E46 racks.

He seems to do a pretty good job, however, the seals should be lubed with ATF when installing and he should be using plastic wedges with the seals vs. screwdrivers. (I use the ones that come with cell phone repair kits).

If I had the time I would raid a bunch of yellow tag racks and rebuild them.
    Great video! I was planning to do the rebuild myself but after looking at the cost of a rebuilt unit from RA vs. my time/effort I'd much rather do a r&r type of repair.
    However, I am also considering keeping my rack and trying the rebuild at a later date.

The zhp/z3 rack still has me curious though..... what to do what to do

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'd say who ever you buy from, make sure and measure the mm/turn and total travel to make sure you get what you bought.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gsanvi View Post
    The yellow tag rack is totally worth it.

I have rebuilt a rack myself twice. Actually I messed it up the first time. You need to be very careful when screwing in the nuts for the oil lines. The angle is weird, I wasn't careful enough and I ruined the threads in the housing. The rack housing is made out of a magnesium alloy so it's not easily repairable. I ended up buying a second rack.

This video is great, it shows the whole process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9drVXzCOuM

For me the hardest part was replacing the hard white plastic seals. Everything else was quite easy. I have now driven a few thousand kilometers with the rebuilt rack and it works well. I also used CHF and I'm happy with the switch, there's virtually no whine from the pump on full lock.
    Could you please share the seal/gasket rebuild kit you used? I’m considering doing this over the winter. Thanks!

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    whats the deal with the e46 racks seemingly being more prone to leaking over time? I am still on my original factory 95 rack and the rack isn't leaking one bit.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
    Could you please share the seal/gasket rebuild kit you used? I’m considering doing this over the winter. Thanks!
    I used this kit for a yellow tag rack over 2 years ago, so far it has held up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323754053140
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    whats the deal with the e46 racks seemingly being more prone to leaking over time? I am still on my original factory 95 rack and the rack isn't leaking one bit.
    My stock is fine as well but buying a yellow tag from a salvage yard I was thinking I’d rebuild before install.

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    Lucky you! I haven't purchased a rack yet but that's because I don't drive the car often. I need to get on it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12