Thread: E21 Hazard Switch

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21 320i

E21 Hazard Switch

Alright, look, I've been desperate for one, forever, every shop that claims to have one, cancels the order on me, I'm pretty sure it's got an awful electrical drain on my car coming from the hazard failure.

Do you guys have one, or know where one is, I need one working, or a place to find a working one, my car is an 83 year model with the M10 Engine, if that makes any difference.

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    As a test / temp workaround you can put a jumper cable using spade connectors between the Green/Purple and Purple/Black wires and that will let your turn signals work but not the hazard part and some other circuits that run through there (I've read interior lights / radio / clock). Pics and info here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...0#post13603510

I've also read that an E30 hazard switch is the same design electrically but obviously won't fit in the E21 spot.

Also I've had the attached PDF saved for a while where someone shows how to replace it with a switch from Radio Shack. But I can't find the original thread or where I found the PDF. And of course Radio Shack isn't around anymore so would have to find some comparable 6 pin / 2 position switch.

Hazard Flasher Modification small.pdf
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    1981 E21 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueConcern View Post
    Alright, look, I've been desperate for one, forever, every shop that claims to have one, cancels the order on me, I'm pretty sure it's got an awful electrical drain on my car coming from the hazard failure.

Do you guys have one, or know where one is, I need one working, or a place to find a working one, my car is an 83 year model with the M10 Engine, if that makes any difference.
    Hi .. yes the '80+ facelift models use a 3 terminal flasher relay compared to the previous models that use a 4 terminal relay. So the Hazard switches are a bit different.

To keep you on the road it's simple to use a jumper wire to make the turn signals work without the Hazard switch. Of course you wont have any hazard function but at least you can drive the car.

Here's a link to show how it is done.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...0#post30740530

These issues are comprehensibly covered in lots of other posts here .. the forum does have a search function ... it's your friend.

Cheers
    hmm .. Wonder what happens if I do this ...

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21 320i
    Issue there, I've used that, and the turn signals don't function, and I suspect that regardless, other functions connected to the hazard switches fail to function, so I'm looking to purchase a complete hazard, i was wondering if people knew where I could get one.

In addition, does anyone know a comprehensive list of how many functions are controlled by the hazard switch?

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GDAus View Post
    Hi .. yes the '80+ facelift models use a 3 terminal flasher relay compared to the previous models that use a 4 terminal relay. So the Hazard switches are a bit different.
    According to part numbers, the early euro hazard switch is even different from the US one. I've had part of a zip tie jammed in mine for the past 5 years lol.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Been 3 years of a painted black paper clip in mine.

Don’t even see them on EBay anymore, they are all junk anyway, never had one that lasted more then a year or two.

I have had the E21 for 10 years and it made no difference whether you bought the Genuine BMW one of the cheap aftermarket one they all break. I even had a Genuine BMW one that I never used break in a years time.

My wife one time took it on herself to push the hazard button in when I got out of the car to put a envelope in a mail box. Just about freaked out on her but said nothing, the next day it popped out while driving.
    Last edited by msiert; 02-28-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    Murray

My Cars
    80 320i, 87 325 i & is
    I stole this idea from our friend pommeree, did this probably 10-11 years ago?

IMG_7003.jpg

Sorry the pic is sideways, it does that every dang time but tonight I am too tired to take it into photoshop and re-save it and re-upload it lol

For the 10 years I had my car before that, I had a succession of items jammed into it, including:
    - piece of matchbook cover
    - toothpick
    - piece of starbucks coffee lid (that was actually the best)

And one time I got all inspired and tried to fix it. I succeeded in breaking it more, so that was the point where the famed "pommeree mod" got implemented. (is it famed? Yes, by ME lol)

In 21 years I have tried to use the hazards exactly once. That event produced smoke in from under the dash! There are certainly times when I probably *should* have used the hazards, like when part #4 here simply broke while I was in the far left lane on a fairly busy section of an interstate, going 60..

2022-02-28_20h32_10.png

But I just opted for the turn signal, and that was effective enough in that situation.

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21 320i
    Per reference, I have absolutely no clue what else could be causing my awful electrical drain anymore, frankly, it's caused me so much grief I've debated selling the car, but now I'm dedicated to making sure the dang thing just runs, and the Hazards are just one issue on a very large pile of them, so I want a new one, not some alternative which hasn't worked for me yet, I'm taking my E21 to a shop soon anyone to figure out the dang carb and wiring issues.

My Cars
    1981 E21 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueConcern View Post
    Issue there, I've used that, and the turn signals don't function, and I suspect that regardless, other functions connected to the hazard switches fail to function, so I'm looking to purchase a complete hazard, I was wondering if people knew where I could get one.

In addition, does anyone know a comprehensive list of how many functions are controlled by the hazard switch?
    Okay .. if you have used a jumper and the turn signals wont work ... then installing another Hazard Switch wont work either!

The Hazard switch only does 2 things!

In the OFF position it connects the VIOLET/Black (the connection back to Fuse 15) to the GREEN/Violet connection to the Flasher Relay
    so the Turn Signals operate.

In the ON position it does 2 things:

First it switches connection from Fuse 15 to Fuse 17 so the hazards will operate with the ignition off.
    Secondly it connects all the turn signals together so they all flash together.

That is all it does!!!

However, Fuses 15 and 17 are both connected to lots of other things and if the Hazard switch suffers an internal short circuit (this often happens when someone opens the switch to try and fix it) then it will blow one or both fuses. So it can affect other things!

Fuse 15 - Horns - Flasher Unit - Windscreen wipers and washers - Power Mirrors
    Fuse 17 - Warning Buzzer - Seat-belt Switch - Interior Light - Trunk Light (if fitted) - Digital Clock - Tachometer - Hazard Lights.

If the link doesn't work to get the turn signals working ... have you checked fuse 15? .. not just visually .. check the contacts carefully .. they suffer from oxidation so it is necessary to clean the fuse box contacts as well the fuses themselves.

Try that for starters .. as for your parasitic current drain ... maybe best to start a new thread with more information.

Cheers
    Last edited by GDAus; 03-01-2022 at 03:46 AM.
    hmm .. Wonder what happens if I do this ...