Thread: Ghassan N63 crate motor. Anyone?

My Cars
    2012 550i x drive

Ghassan N63 crate motor. Anyone?

$8500 for the long block. My car has been great and all the gadgets still work and it has no resale value at 75k . A JB4 and catless downpipe for around a G gives me the power of a new 550 and assuming I can get the engine installed for around 5k thats less than the 2 year depreciation on the new car. I came to this when I started shopping and saw the steep asking prices for 1 and 2 year old 550s. I could go ultra cheap and just do the heads and crank but that feels a bit like a grenade.

It seems like most people on this board replace the car rather than the engine (not the worst idea with the resale of older F10s) but I am wondering any have done the crate motor option? Just looking at my choices because aside from starting to drink a quart every thousand m from 65k this car has been a real pleasure to own and just needs more power to serve me for another 3 or 4 years before I go electric or hydrogen or whatever.

My Cars
    1997 4
    What exactly is the problem with your engine now? Is it completely failed?

As options, the first choice is BMW remanufactured N63, not Ghassan.
    Much cheaper with BMW remanufactured.

My Cars
    2015 535i M-Sport
    I had a 2000 740iL that I installed a rebuilt motor from a "junkyard". For me, it worked fine --- reasonably priced and less than other options. Should make sure if you go that route that there are a lot of other items you should replace (normal maintenance items) that are easily changed out as the motor is out.

My Cars
    2012 550i x drive
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnelP View Post
    What exactly is the problem with your engine now? Is it completely failed?

As options, the first choice is BMW remanufactured N63, not Ghassan.
    Much cheaper with BMW remanufactured.
    Ghassan is advertising $8495 all stock or $13485 with upgraded internals and a 2 year warranty on both, I had heard the bone stock repop from BMW was somewhat more, so please let me know. Burns a quart every 900 miles since about 65k but still runs well so I figure I can sell it for something now, but if I wait too long and it starts coughing blue or craters it will be worthless.

My Cars
    2012 550i x drive
    Quote Originally Posted by trian View Post
    I had a 2000 740iL that I installed a rebuilt motor from a "junkyard". For me, it worked fine --- reasonably priced and less than other options. Should make sure if you go that route that there are a lot of other items you should replace (normal maintenance items) that are easily changed out as the motor is out.
    Thanks Trian. People don't usually touch used N63 4.4 V8s because of the oil issue. I don't think your engine has similar problems. Minimum rings, bearings valve guides just to avoid a repeat of the factory issues. If it wasn't for the cost of the R & R which I am told is at least $6k I might do that, but as it is, better to pay more for the warranty., especially since I want to do the tune. But that leaves me with a spend greater than the car is worth so tough decision.

My Cars
    1997 4
    I like philosophy too I think your decision should be simple. If you are handy with the wrench, you should not get scared to keep your car. If wrenching your car is a no-no, dealer will welcome you to a new lease. Anything "in between" is a gamble.

>>because aside from starting to drink a quart every thousand m from 65k

just change the valve stem seals if that bothers you. yes, dealer will quote you 10k$, some shops will do it for 5k $, and if you find a honest person will charge you 2 or 3k$. Labor and parts. All with same final result.
    But honesty my friend, is almost extinct. Maybe an archaic word in dictionary we may soon never understand its meaning.

Yes, oil consumption will get progressively worse. but that will not destroy your engine; after taking my N63 engine apart, I was puzzled on why the cost of changing valve seals is so crazy expensive. Because in no way is more complicated than a regular engine from any other brands.

Way I see things? I think until 120k miles, me, personally, i would not worry. At 120k, depending on the mood, you can do a preventive work, meaning timing chains/guides and the bearings. Should cost you 3k $ in parts, and 2 or 3k labour from a reasonable shop.

Or, drive till it breaks, buy a remanufactured BMW N63, and get installed. 4k the remanufactured engine from BMW, and say 2.5k install work.

As you see, personally, I do not see Ghassan as an option. Nor buying a junkyard engine. Dismantlers sell the N63 with 4k $. They will last as long as your current engine. Where's the deal?

My Cars
    2012 550i x drive
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnelP View Post
    I like philosophy too I think your decision should be simple. If you are handy with the wrench, you should not get scared to keep your car. If wrenching your car is a no-no, dealer will welcome you to a new lease. Anything "in between" is a gamble.

>>because aside from starting to drink a quart every thousand m from 65k

just change the valve stem seals if that bothers you. yes, dealer will quote you 10k$, some shops will do it for 5k $, and if you find a honest person will charge you 2 or 3k$. Labor and parts. All with same final result.
    But honesty my friend, is almost extinct. Maybe an archaic word in dictionary we may soon never understand its meaning.

Yes, oil consumption will get progressively worse. but that will not destroy your engine; after taking my N63 engine apart, I was puzzled on why the cost of changing valve seals is so crazy expensive. Because in no way is more complicated than a regular engine from any other brands.

Way I see things? I think until 120k miles, me, personally, i would not worry. At 120k, depending on the mood, you can do a preventive work, meaning timing chains/guides and the bearings. Should cost you 3k $ in parts, and 2 or 3k labour from a reasonable shop.

Or, drive till it breaks, buy a remanufactured BMW N63, and get installed. 4k the remanufactured engine from BMW, and say 2.5k install work.

As you see, personally, I do not see Ghassan as an option. Nor buying a junkyard engine. Dismantlers sell the N63 with 4k $. They will last as long as your current engine. Where's the deal?

Thanks. I do not touch the new engine in a box cars so I opted to trade the her in. They gave me maybe 2k less than I might have sold it for. My final decision was that she is 10 years old and even though the engine might hang in, at some point all the gadgetry would start to fail, and that's part of the character of the car.

Out of curiosity then, with oilers like mine, a complete engine failure might not be around the corner? I couldn't really find the data on what the lifespan was for N63 engines that had no consumption issues their first several years and then burned a quart every thou. A number of stories have circulated about engine failures but those seem to be only a fraction of total oiler complaints. Are there 200k oilers still on the road unfixed?

My Cars
    2014 750Li
    Where can I find an N63 remanufactured motor for 4k? I am in Northern California, I see you are in Texas but for 4k I have some room for shipping. Thank you in advance

My Cars
    1997 4
    Any dealer from any state. To get 4k, you need to get somebody with dealer wholesale bmw account to source a unit for you. As a regular citizen, they will ask wild prices. 5k, 6k, anything. No limit