Thread: Pixels

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70

Pixels

So on my 01E 39M 62 it had faded pixels. Now they are completely gone other than for the “PRND 432”
    Has anybody ever experienced this? Thoughts please. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by 300kplus View Post
    So when I bought my 01 E39
    M 62 it had faded pixels. Now they are completely gone other than for the “PRND 432”
    Has anybody ever experienced this? Thoughts please. Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    There are various cottage vendors that can repair the cluster for you, some of them on the forum. You can also look up DIYs and attempt it yourself, if you're feeling bold (and cheap).

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Why do you always quote yourself??? That how you build up your post count? Lol…

Blackknight530 can fix them pixels for you.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    I have all new bulbs because before this happened they were faded from left to right…
    I think I’m going to replace all the bulbs and see what that does but still and all I’m thinking it’s something like a fuse…

Anyway thanks guys if I need to send them out and have them fix I’ll do it but gotta try the new bulbs first and check out some fuses and do some more digging on here in the forums.

Thanks again!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    You are not clear: Fading pixels require new bulbs. There are five on the backside of the cluster. Replace them all. BMW-specific parts.

Dead pixels require repair. Not for the faint of heart.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    You are not clear: Fading pixels require new bulbs. There are five on the backside of the cluster. Replace them all. BMW-specific parts.

Dead pixels require repair. Not for the faint of heart.
    Roger that. So they were fading and I bought all new bulbs. Haven’t replaced them yet. Now there is no information like odometer, temperature, etc…
    Only the gear designations.

Is this indicative of a blown fuse? Or is it something else?

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by 300kplus View Post
    Roger that. So they were fading and I bought all new bulbs. Haven’t replaced them yet. Now there is no information like odometer, temperature, etc…
    Only the gear designations.

Is this indicative of a blown fuse? Or is it something else?

Has anybody had just the gear indicators showing and no odometer or temperature or anything else on their e39?

I reprogrammed my key after my car being in the shop for over a week. This started when I got the car back. The key was away from the car at the same time and it’s the only “good” key I have as it’s a newly purchased one. The other 2 are dead (the infamous “diamond” keys…

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Just so you know, only 2 of the bulbs are used to show the mileage/temp, while 2 others are used for the text display below. It can happen where those two top bulbs burn out, but the inspection bulb and message display bulbs work fine. Easiest way to check this is to hit the BC button on the left stalk and see if a message lights up or look for the inspection indicator lighting up after first starting the car. If those don't work, then it could be a situation where jump starting the car has caused the cluster to glitch. Usually the text switches to German when this happens, which you can see if you shine a flashlight at the message display. Easiest way to fix that is to pull all of the fuses related to the cluster and then put them back in, or do a battery nap (google this). I have also seen on occasion that the EEPROM gets messed up on a cluster and can cause the backlighting not to work on the cluster, or it could also be a blown chip on the circuit board, but usually the best way to fix that is with a replacement cluster. If you've tried all the things suggested, PM me or send me a message on my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Fixels) and I can help you out with that.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Just so you know, only 2 of the bulbs are used to show the mileage/temp, while 2 others are used for the text display below. It can happen where those two top bulbs burn out, but the inspection bulb and message display bulbs work fine. Easiest way to check this is to hit the BC button on the left stalk and see if a message lights up or look for the inspection indicator lighting up after first starting the car. If those don't work, then it could be a situation where jump starting the car has caused the cluster to glitch. Usually the text switches to German when this happens, which you can see if you shine a flashlight at the message display. Easiest way to fix that is to pull all of the fuses related to the cluster and then put them back in, or do a battery nap (google this). I have also seen on occasion that the EEPROM gets messed up on a cluster and can cause the backlighting not to work on the cluster, or it could also be a blown chip on the circuit board, but usually the best way to fix that is with a replacement cluster. If you've tried all the things suggested, PM me or send me a message on my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Fixels) and I can help you out with that.
    Cool. Thanks!

My Cars
    2008 BMW M6 Convertible
    Can a canbus communication fault mess with the operation of the cluster? I’m trying to decide whether to pursue the communication fault first or if the dead pixels and the oil service and inspection indicators are not malfunctioning as a result.

My Cars
    2002 e39 540i Sport 6
    I had MVKmimi1 (Peter) on ebay, repair my speedo and mid pixels on my 2002 e39 540i 6-speed Sport. around $100 for speedo and $90 for mid. Fantastic job! New bulbs too. They do not remove needles either, so no stepper motor issues. I had my mid and speedo back within 2 days of them receiving.(lifetime warranty) BTW, I'm On my 3rd e39 and have used many vendors for many different things over the years. I can recommend these guys with full confidence. I have always lived with pixel issues on my e39's. It is amazing having them back!. Super cool, may stick some gauge rings in later. Aluminum rings are available but you have to look for them. Requires a mild disassembly of the gauge cluster. Many of them are the cheap plastic type. I like the aluminum ones from didotuning, on ebay as well. Hope this helps.
    Hornschwageled
    2002 e39 540i Sport 6 Speed
    2010 335d (does not know the alphabet)
    2010 X5 35d (does not know the alphabet) 209,000 mi and going strong
    1998 MB SL500
    1984 Ramcharger
    1988 Pontiac GTA
    2004 F350
    2012 BMW G650GS Sertao
    2005 KTM 950 Adventure
    2002 KTM 520 MXC
    2017 Ducati Multistrada
    2015 Can-AM Max XTP
    Too many but no kids, so....

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by fsd350 View Post
    I like the aluminum ones from didotuning, on ebay as well.
    Robert (aka didotuning) is amazing. Can't recommend him enough if what you need are the cluster rings. I asked him for a set for my Pathy and he had never done for that particular car, so he custom-fabricated a set, sent it to me free of charge with the only condition to document the whole install and send him back the pictures.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor