Thread: Stupid question...

My Cars
    E39 540i

Stupid question...

Did Bimmer have anything to do with the development of the Toyota JZ engine? I'm asking because I've heard of the E36/E46 flywheel bolting on directly to the JZ engine like factory. Or did Getrag have something to do with this when they were making the 420g and v160 transmissions?
    Last edited by speednstyle; 02-09-2022 at 09:40 PM.

My Cars
    E39 540i
    Anyone?

My Cars
    z3
    You will find a lot of cross-compatibility among different manufacturers for different parts for different reasons. But Toyota has been making I6 engines since the '60s, BMW did not have anything to do with the development of the JZ engine. I'm sure Toyota did some reverse engineering on the BMW I6's (just as BMW surely did some reverse engineering of Toyota I6's) and may have asked Getrag for input on the flywheel bolt hole size/pattern (imo its equally as likely that the engineers just stumbled into the same sizes on their own) but they weren't getting help from BMW

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You will find a lot of cross-compatibility among different manufacturers for different parts for different reasons. But Toyota has been making I6 engines since the '60s, BMW did not have anything to do with the development of the JZ engine. I'm sure Toyota did some reverse engineering on the BMW I6's (just as BMW surely did some reverse engineering of Toyota I6's) and may have asked Getrag for input on the flywheel bolt hole size/pattern (imo its equally as likely that the engineers just stumbled into the same sizes on their own) but they weren't getting help from BMW
    actually wait, the 1jz didn't use the getrag box lol