eBMWParts

Thread: Camber Out - Bent Steering Knuckle

My Cars
    2016 BMW 428I

Camber Out - Bent Steering Knuckle

Purchased a 428I Grand Coupe 4 years ago and at the time it had all new tires. What I thought may be a wheel bearing going bad turned out to be the RIGHT front tire began cupping on the inside. I was surprised as the tires were pretty new. After an alignment check, the front right camber was way off. (see attached picture) The mechanic at the BMW dealership, gave an educated guess that the steering knuckle was bent since he could't bring it into spec.
    After the replacement of the steering knuckle, I was given the updated read out (see pic) showing how the camber on the right front was now within tolerance.
    I owned the car for almost four years now and no BMW mechanic, or myself, can find any evidence of the car being in an accident.

Two questions;
    Can a pot hole or curb hit bend a steering Knuckle?
    Can anyone read the attached alignment sheet and tell me if the read out for the right front camber is now within spec?
    Thanks for any input
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JTFS; 02-07-2022 at 03:15 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Camber Out - Bent Steering Knuckle

The second sheet only shows that Toe was out of spec and corrected. All of the other measurements were not changed. But having that much Toe In could be a problem and cause abnormal tire wear. And the right side had more Toe In (0.29) than the left side (0.20).

It’s not likely that hitting a pothole would bend a steering knuckle. Hitting a curb, parking block, or something large like that could bend it. But that would also be likely to bend a rim, too.

But the numbers shown for camber range look odd on the right side, compared to the left side.

On the left, the range is from -0.02 to -0.58, with the arrow at -0.33 being inside that range. But on the right side, the range is narrower, from -0.23 to -0.37, and the arrow indicates it is outside of that range, at -0.59.

But if I’m looking at it correctly, and the left side range shows the ‘correct’ lower and upper limits, then if the same limits were applied to the right side, it would only be ‘out’ by 0.01 (-0.59 instead of -0.58). If that’s the case, I wouldn’t say it’s WAY out of alignment because of an expensive steering knuckle that is bent and needs to be replaced. But again, I may be looking at it incorrectly. But that’s what I wouldn’t have been asking the technician to explain to me.

I’m not sure why there is a difference like that. I’m not one who does my own alignments, but I would question whether they had properly mounted the alignment components to the right wheel before they measured the alignment.

-rb
    Last edited by RBNetEngr; 02-09-2022 at 11:42 PM.