Thread: Be careful on purchases...

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12

Be careful on purchases...

It's becoming harder and harder to get parts for these cars everyday for a multitude of reasons...

I just wanted to give a heads up to be careful when buying parts and only using PayPal as purchase protection. I thought they would cover me but come to find out, they only kind of cover you...

I bought a "mint" e23 dash off Facebook. Dude sent it to me in a super tight box with no padding and it cracked it in multiple spots.

The seller told me I can keep the dash and have half the money back or I can pay $250 to ship it to him and get all the money back.

I disputed with PayPal and they told me the same!

I don't think it's fair that I pay $250 and get zero from this deal while the seller gets the insurance money from FedEx and the dash back. He basically gets the dash and the sale and I get screwed.

I guess I will be buying in person, which is practically impossible or taking my chances on ebay...?

This world has become a pretty gross, selfish place and it's going to hurt all sellers and buyers in the end. Be safe and good luck.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

At least you were smart enough to not use 'friends and family' Fighting with Fedup for insurance is very difficult sadly. BTDT before.

Wish you the best buying from people in the future online, I get burned at times and have been buying and selling since '96 or 97 online. Just did recently from a supposedly reputable head shop, paid for a reman, port/polish, etc a year back. They took my M106 specific head and my $1700. Nothing on my end, so I feel your pain. Same place kept some guys S38 head and he had to fly out to reacquire.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Damn, that's crazy people can get away with stuff like that. Sorry to hear you got burned.

Yeah, super important! Don't send friends and family ever! Also, make sure you pay with a source that will back you up. I paid with AMEX and I feel pretty certain that's how I will get my money back.

It's crazy because we can file with FedEx and get the insurance plus shipping costs back. It's up to me to give them the info though and I refuse to do it because he wants the insurance, shopping costs, dash and basically shipping costs to me. He thinks he gets the dash and to be paid for the dash twice.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Erik, shoot me a PM. I have a crack free dash but it has 1 tiny imperfection that could be dealt with easily. It's for a later build (with the wood above the glovebox. Also have a similar L7 dash that's really nice but it also has a tiny flaw.

I know how to pack/ship too...

My Cars
    83 e21 82 E23 80 E12
    Thanks. Sent a pm