Thread: Electronic Ignition upgrade?

My Cars
    BMW 2002

Electronic Ignition upgrade?

So I want to add this to my list of things to do over holiday break. What company should I use Crane, pentronix? I need a whole setup too, not just a part.

My Cars
    1973 2002 & 1995 740i
    I have the Pertronix in mine and love it......
    The Crane may be fine as well, but I like how you can't even tell the Pertronix is there unless you pull the cap and rotor to look.

The car idles MUCH smoother and starts easier (w/engine cold). It always started easy with the engine warm fwiw.

FYI - I got a new distributor and corresponding Pertronix from Carl at LaJolla Ind. He had the best prices I could find as well as knowing EXACTLY what I needed.

Good luck
    Kevin 1970 BMW 2800cs - - 1973 BMW 2002 - - 1995 BMW 740i (Not quite stock ) - - 2001 BMW 740iL (Yes, quite stock...) - - 1968 Mustang GT Conv

My Cars
    73tii, 71,73 bavaria, 75 e250 van, 71 volvo 145s
    the pertronix kit seems to be the most popular, however i've heard good things about the crane system as well. i have an allison system on my tii that i installed about 10 years ago...have never had ANY problems with the ignition since. can't imagine how well they work now...a pertronix kit can be had for under $100; best hundred dollars one can spend on their car...

regards, jeff

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    What is included with the pertronix?
    My understanding is it just replaces the points with an optical sensor.

Is it true you can use the BOSCH red coil with pertronix?. I believe topend performance just says that you cant use the red coil with points. If this is true, than you should be able to use the red coil with pertronix.
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    1973 2002 & 1995 740i
    You can use the red coil with the Pertronix. You just need to use a ballast resistor as you would with points. I use the Pertronix coil (w/o ballast) and it works GREAT! If you go that route, make sure you use the 3 ohm (not the 1.5ohm) coil.

The Pertronix uses a series of magnets embedded in a collar that goes around the distributor shaft. The other half of the set-up is a "Hall Effect" sensor that mounts where the points went. So... It's an electrical 'switch' that does not rely on optics.
    - Magnetics or optics..... Either way.
    Sure beats points.

Kevin 1970 BMW 2800cs - - 1973 BMW 2002 - - 1995 BMW 740i (Not quite stock ) - - 2001 BMW 740iL (Yes, quite stock...) - - 1968 Mustang GT Conv

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    3.0 ohm=red coil?

Whats the benefit of the red coil?
    Last edited by Ohtwo; 12-18-2004 at 04:49 PM.
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    1973 2002 & 1995 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohtwo
    3.0 ohm=red coil?

Whats the benefit of the red coil?
    Sorry - I switched gears on discussing coils.

The "RED" coil is an OE Bosch coil that has low internal resistance (so you need to run a ballast resistor). The "BLUE" is another Bosch OE coil that has high enough internal resistance to not need a ballast resistor.

The coil I was referring to (that I installed) is made by Pertronix and comes in two resistances.
    The 1.5 ohm is for a racing set-up while the 3.0 ohm is for the street (as it was explained to me).
    The one I got was the 3.0 version.
    It fits right in the same spot as the Bosch OE one as it is the same size.

There are several coils that are in use.....
    Bosch Blue
    Bosch Red
    Pertronix Flamethrower
    and others......

The order from low to high are Blue - Red - Pertronix.
    I used to run the blue coil and had no issues. Car ran great.
    When I was putting in the new distributor w/Pertronix Ignitor, I figured I might as well get as much 'pop' out of my new stuff, so I ...... probably wasted some $$
    I'm sure any 'proper' coil in decent shape would do well.

Hope this answers your questions-
    Have fun-

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohtwo
    What is included with the pertronix?
    My understanding is it just replaces the points with an optical sensor.

Is it true you can use the BOSCH red coil with pertronix?. I believe topend performance just says that you cant use the red coil with points. If this is true, than you should be able to use the red coil with pertronix.
    the pertronix kit just replaces the points. that is what's really cool about the pertronix kit: it's all contained inside the distributor; where other kits also have a module that have to be mounted outside of the distributor. the pertronix kit is all self contained..no module.

My Cars
    1975,1976 BMW 2002(2 cars)
    i installed the crane cams xr700 electronic ignition system for my 75 and it is true every thing is seen from new eyes with electronic ignitinion. crane is cool with me cause it was like 100 bucks and i think that the little conrol modual kinda looks cool undermy hood with the little led that lights with every ground. really easy to install. one thing you must look out for is make sure that the wire that comes out of the distributer doesent touch the shutter disc cause if it does then it will wear the wires down and it will ground when ever it wants to and make your car violently buck like a bull. trust me i know from experiance. just make sure that the connection wires are out of the way of the shutter. happy hunting on you ingition system
    inka2k2

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by inka2k2
    i installed the crane cams xr700 electronic ignition system for my 75 and it is true every thing is seen from new eyes with electronic ignitinion. crane is cool with me cause it was like 100 bucks and i think that the little conrol modual kinda looks cool undermy hood with the little led that lights with every ground. really easy to install. one thing you must look out for is make sure that the wire that comes out of the distributer doesent touch the shutter disc cause if it does then it will wear the wires down and it will ground when ever it wants to and make your car violently buck like a bull. trust me i know from experiance. just make sure that the connection wires are out of the way of the shutter. happy hunting on you ingition system
    inka2k2
    congrats. maybe is should update my alison ignition...it's over ten years old, but still going strong. best hundred bucks one could spend on a points ignition car...
    regards, jeff

My Cars
    '72 BMW 2002tii

Electronic Ignition

Don't forget MSD... I've only heard good things from autocrossers.

I used a Jacobs power pack and coil + wires some time back, but dropped it. Too many issues when trouble shooting.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC

Running MSD + Pertronix...

I'm running both an MSD Model 6A ignition control plus the Pertronix in my '76 '02. Using with the Tii centrifugal advance distributor. Great set-up with excellent performance and reliability.

(Straightforward wiring -- see attachment)
    Last edited by visionaut; 06-01-2007 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    What does the MSD box do?
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC

Multiple Spark Discharge

The MSD ignition control uses a high performance capacitive discharge circuit to fire the spark plug multiple times at lower rpms. (~< 3200 rpm). The plug is fired through multiple degrees of crank rotation (20deg in the case of the model 6A.) The high-energy multiple sparks of the MSD helps ensure complete combustion. Benefits can include faster acceleration, easier starting, reduced plug fouling, increased power and even improved fuel economy. This type of ignition control system is found on many race cars (circle track, drag racers).

For more info, see : MSD Ignition's Website

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    A coil is still needed, correct?
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    various coupes
    BEST ROUTE TO TAKE.. JUST INSTALLED w/Petronix coil. Best bang for the buck!
    Jack

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Almost 17 years since the previous post! Welcome to this forum.
    I’ve still got a Piranha ignition in my 02 thats been in there for more than 44 years, still working great.
    -Donny

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Holy zombie thread! Lol

FWIW, the ol’ MSD6A + MSD coil + PerTronix Ignitor in a Ti dizzy combo is still running great too..

477663D2-5DBE-4EE9-B648-1AA46D1765BD.jpg