Thread: The commonly revisited topic of other bmw seats into the E34, lets talk brackets!

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP

The commonly revisited topic of other bmw seats into the E34, lets talk brackets!

Alright, so until I can land some nice e34 sport seats for less than a fortune Ive got a plan..

Tan e46 sport seats to replace my front comfort seats for the time being. (photo attached for reference)

Im not sure how close they match our interiors, but from photos it looks similar? better than black on tan in my opinion...although I have located some black rear touring seats near me I might be able to pick up.

I dont want to cut the hooks off, so thats out of the question, but I want the seat to sit centered. Im willing to cut the slots in the e46 seat rails to make it fit, but then itl be slightly off center, which isnt the end of the world-but why not strive for perfection?

I can weld, and I have all the normal metal cutting tools aside from a plasma cutter at my disposal-Im thinking I can either make some templates out of cardboard and make a seat mounting plate than has feet to rest firmly on the floor of the car (dont want to do a simple piece of flat stock that will flex when the seat is installed offset) or get something laser cut.

From my research it seems that if I can make a plate that hooks and bolts into the current position, with a 90 degree plate welded to the inner edge (towards seat center) that also has a 90 degree plate at the front and rear of the adapter plate for floor contact, I could then bolt the e46 seats to that.

The end product would look like a "U" shape bracket that is bolted to the existing seating position and offset an inch towards vehicle exterior (or whatever the offset needs to be). I havent taken the seats off to see how much room there is to move right, so that may be a plan ender. I would need at least 2 inches of space to place the feet to have a secure mounting surface (in my guestimate).

The fab would not be hard to do as long as I identify the exact dimension of the offset. The plan would be:

cardboard template
    cut a plate out of steel that is the same thickness as the e34 rails, and in line with template
    Mark location of feet to rest on floor below the e46 seat location
    Tac weld feet and plates to get initial fitment
    Copy template for other side (assuming it is a mirror)
    Adjust fitment and weld all pieces
    mark holes and drill
    clean up the metal and powdercoat or paint in the garage
    success?

If they work well, feel safe and hold the seats firmly and centered, id be happy to take em to a shop to get copied/laser cut and send off the pieces to other e34 people who also want a more affordable seat option that still looks nice. I never had any issues with my e46 seats personally, but im a 6'0 185 lb guy, so keep that in mind.

What issues if any do you all have? Ive read that the e46 seats only need power to operate, all the electronics are internal to the seat, and manual seats obviously are an easy swap. If anyone has a better solution such as swapping the e34 rails to the e46 seats (which I havent ever seen attempted, maybe for a lack of trying or complete incompatibility?) I would love to hear it!
    seats.jpg

My Cars
    1995 E34 S52, 2013 X5d
    Following this thread intently. I read somewhere that the e46 seats have the same rail width as the e34 but that the seat does sit slightly off-center without modification.

I don't have a whole lot of value to add here other than sharing your pain in trying to find sport seats. I've also got a tan interior and assumed that if e46 sport seats ever became a relatively easy viable option, that I'd plan to someday dye the seats/door panels some other shade that would go with my existing carpet that is in great shape...oh and that I'd probably pay for brackets - ha!

Good luck - hopefully some others can chime in.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Chiming in with little value, but to say that a local guy here has some of those E46 sports in his E34T and they fit in pretty nicely, and look the part. It's tough to argue against this one when E34 Sports (as well as basically any desirable E34 interior parts) are so costly now
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    3/16" carbon steel is roughly the correct thickness you need to engage the hooks; and at that thickness, I can guarantee a flat plate adapter will not discernably flex when you sit in the chair. No need to put too much effort.

From there, you just have to shift the seat over by however much you need, drill holes in the plate, slot the E46 slider rails for clearance where necessary, and bolt everything together.

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcw323is View Post
    Following this thread intently. I read somewhere that the e46 seats have the same rail width as the e34 but that the seat does sit slightly off-center without modification.

I don't have a whole lot of value to add here other than sharing your pain in trying to find sport seats. I've also got a tan interior and assumed that if e46 sport seats ever became a relatively easy viable option, that I'd plan to someday dye the seats/door panels some other shade that would go with my existing carpet that is in great shape...oh and that I'd probably pay for brackets - ha!

Good luck - hopefully some others can chime in.
    For sure! il let you know how it goes. Id like to get something set up by late feb.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Chiming in with little value, but to say that a local guy here has some of those E46 sports in his E34T and they fit in pretty nicely, and look the part. It's tough to argue against this one when E34 Sports (as well as basically any desirable E34 interior parts) are so costly now
    Totally agree. One day il probably find some beat up sports that I can pay to have reupholstered, but im not in the market for that kind of cash currently.

Quote Originally Posted by circuit.heart View Post
    3/16" carbon steel is roughly the correct thickness you need to engage the hooks; and at that thickness, I can guarantee a flat plate adapter will not discernably flex when you sit in the chair. No need to put too much effort.

From there, you just have to shift the seat over by however much you need, drill holes in the plate, slot the E46 slider rails for clearance where necessary, and bolt everything together.
    Thats great to hear. The only issue ive seen in some peoples photos on the e34 mounting position is that it appears to be VERY close to the edge of the door sill, so close in fact that im not sure you could throw an offset plate in there anyways. Have you done this yourself to see?

If its 3/16 carbon steel and it needs a slot and some holes that sounds like an easy weekend project for sure, and making a cad drawing for the part so others can take it to a laser cutting/waterjet shop near by would be so efficient and affordable.

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    these are a great example of what they should look like, except we need to make em for the e34 style hooks. Honestly, you could probably just buy these and fill in the existing holes, cut your slot and new E34 mounting holes and be done with it.

I need to measure my buddys e30 and see how close the mounting points are. These are a super fair price to get at least a basic idea of fitment.

https://lownperformance.com/products...dapter-bracket

seat brackets.png
    Last edited by Deanx2009; 02-01-2022 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanx2009 View Post
    Thats great to hear. The only issue ive seen in some peoples photos on the e34 mounting position is that it appears to be VERY close to the edge of the door sill, so close in fact that im not sure you could throw an offset plate in there anyways. Have you done this yourself to see?

If its 3/16 carbon steel and it needs a slot and some holes that sounds like an easy weekend project for sure, and making a cad drawing for the part so others can take it to a laser cutting/waterjet shop near by would be so efficient and affordable.
    I have VAC plates and BRZ seats in my car, so it's not 100% apples comparison, but the space concern is more the center tunnel than the door sill. A centered seat is closer to tunnel than door sill. Especially since the E46 seat needs to be moved towards the tunnel, the limiting factor is whether you can get the seat pushed inwards without the inner slide rail fouling on the tunnel carpet.

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by circuit.heart View Post
    I have VAC plates and BRZ seats in my car, so it's not 100% apples comparison, but the space concern is more the center tunnel than the door sill. A centered seat is closer to tunnel than door sill. Especially since the E46 seat needs to be moved towards the tunnel, the limiting factor is whether you can get the seat pushed inwards without the inner slide rail fouling on the tunnel carpet.
    I think it is opposite. The e46 seats sit inboard and need to move outboard to be centered, but let me try and find the reference photo.

Reference and a link to someone else who did it.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-My-Time/page2

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...c-Memory-Seats

Last edited by Deanx2009; 02-02-2022 at 05:33 AM.

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Another issue I've read it possible mirror adjustment issues after removing oem seats and installing others. I'd need to get into the wiring diagram and see if you can jumper some wires or remove the seat brain to plug in to the harness and keep it working.

In addition, I haven't researched the airbag SAS stuff...if anyone has links on that, it'd be welcome. If we can get a whole thread full of this info itl help people in the future.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I think it is opposite. The e46 seats sit inboard and need to move outboard to be centered, but let me try and find the reference photo.

Oh wow - those brackets move the seat a solid inch over. Interesting!

That blows my other suggestion out of the water, which was to use an existing E46 aftermarket seat mount and tailor it to the hooks. Potentially, the VAC floor mounts could be used as Brian suggested, but I'm not sure they allow mounting that far outboard?
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    I like the plate idea, with proper hardware it should be a great solution.

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Oh wow - those brackets move the seat a solid inch over. Interesting!

That blows my other suggestion out of the water, which was to use an existing E46 aftermarket seat mount and tailor it to the hooks. Potentially, the VAC floor mounts could be used as Brian suggested, but I'm not sure they allow mounting that far outboard?
    So I talked with the guy that makes the e30 mounts. He said if I provide measurements and help him out he would be happy to make some adapters for us! As soon as I'm back in the states with the car in late Feb il send em over and update here. Maybe we can get a group buy going going to show our interest?

My Cars
    540i/6, 740i, m3, alfas
    Found an old post with e30 convertible seats in my 535i. I welded spare mounts from stock e34 seats for the front hook. They were very comfy, light & heated.

Last edited by Martinator; 02-03-2022 at 10:22 AM.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinator View Post
    Found an old post with e30 convertible seats in my 535i. I welded spare mounts from stock e34 seats for the front hook. They were very comfy, light & heated.

E30 seats would be very nice and light! Nice work.

My Cars
    540i/6, 740i, m3, alfas
    Those e30 seats fit me better that the sport seats in my540i.

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    I think it is opposite.

Ah whoops. Well, there's your answer then, you pretty much just have to copy that.

My Cars
    1995 E34 S52, 2013 X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinator View Post
    Those e30 seats fit me better that the sport seats in my540i.
    those are visually awesome though! I'd love those in my parchment interior.