Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 Radio Code Problems

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3

E36 Radio Code Problems

I have a 1995 E36 M3 that won’t accept its radio code. I have in the past disconnected the battery several times to do maintenance and after, successfully put in my radios code, no issues at all. This most recent time however, after reconnecting my battery and putting the code in, the radio beeped at me. I made sure I had the right code and put it in two more times but to no avail, left the car in position 1 for an hour in hopes of resetting the radios anti theft but it still won’t take the code. I’m very confused because in the past the code worked just fine and I don’t know what would make it stop working. I’m wondering if there’s anything I haven’t done yet that might help my issue. I love the OEM look and would prefer not to have to change head units but I do need my music. Any help/advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    updated TSB #6502933729 Nov 1986.

The BMW anti-theft radio circuitry is designed to essentially render your radio unsalable if it is stolen. If the radio is subsequently electrically reconnected, it will not operate until a five-digit security code assigned to your radio is entered. The anti-theft features and operation are as follows:

After the ignition key is removed, the red "anti-theft" LED will continuously flash, drawing attention to this feature.
    Should anyone, such as a thief, touch any push-button on the radio after the key is removed, the anti-theft inscription will flash and a warning tone will sound for 5 minutes or until the ignition is turned ON .
    Should the voltage supply to the radio drop below 5 volts due to a dead battery, electrical repairs, or radio removal (such as theft), the radio will not function when voltage is restored. The word "code" will show in the display only.
    The proper 5-digit code shown on the TWO CARDS SUPPLIED TO YOU must then be entered (using the proper number radio push-button selectors in the bottom row) when the radio is on and the display shows "code". If the correct code is not entered in three successive tries , the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been left on for one hour with the ignition ON .
    IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 43215 and you mistakenly enter 42 instead of 3, continue the code number sequence of 215 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "code" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 43215 and operation of the radio will continue. The likelihood of guessing the correct code is extremely remote. The radio is, therefore, unsalable to a thief. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately ! Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code.
    The code card should be placed in your wallet, or with the vehicle title papers for security as deemed necessary by your individual needs.
    Should radio or electrical repairs become necessary, please give the repairing facility the radio code number. If you do not, only authorized BMW dealer personnel can obtain the code from BMW.
    Should you lose your code cards, contact the nearest BMW dealer who will then obtain your code from BMW. You may be charged for removal of the radio to ascertain the radio chassis number.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Hopefully the BMW dealer might have access to the code, but it's also doubtful too. You can search out OEM audio repair places in the USA and ask if they can fix/repair, but nowadays, even they might not do it. At that point, it'll be a useless unit so you'll need to buy another 27 year old audio unit that is working and hope that it too lasts, as given the aging electronics, they fail too.
    I'd say it may well be worth fitting a modern single DIN unit in as an alternative

Cheers, Dennis!