Thread: Looking for Amber (Not Yellow) Fog Lamps

My Cars
    e36 M3

Question Looking for Amber (Not Yellow) Fog Lamps

Hi Folks,

New member here. We (the wife and I) have had our e36 M3 for about 8 months now (black, 4dr). We had a manual trans swapped in, and we've worked out most of the other bugs. Now we're turning to the cosmetic. The previous owner went with these really cool toned, white lights everywhere, and it makes the car look a little too Tokyo-drift for our tastes.

We're on the hunt for some Amber colored fog lamps for the front end. Not the yellow ones that seem to be everywhere, but an Amber. Has anyone seen any online? For whatever reason, I found a LH one on bimmerworld, but the RH one appears to be a different color smh...

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    I haven’t seen any but I would try this on a normal fog light http://Krylon K09034000 Stained Glas...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    I’ve used the yellow in that line for the “French” style high beam look with good results.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    97 M3
    How about using film instead? I used yellow film on my fog lights. Lamin-X, for example, has different colors including amber/orange: https://lamin-x.com/one-4-x-8-univer...0aAq9JEALw_wcB

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    You do realize that they are FOG lights and not driving lights right? That driving with them on all the time only makes them really hot, and if they get splashed with water, they break. That they were white from the factory, and the bulbs are replaceable? That yellow/amber FOG lights really aren't any better, and even the French stopped using them..

Now, if you actually mean the corner lamps (turn signals), I can see your point. But I've never understood why some people like to drive around with all the lights on (fogs) like they are in landing mode at the airport. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've had to actually use the fog lights in my almost 27 years of ownership of my M3... and really, they are ONLY good at lighting up the side of the road right in front of the car.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    You do realize that they are FOG lights and not driving lights right? That driving with them on all the time only makes them really hot, and if they get splashed with water, they break. That they were white from the factory, and the bulbs are replaceable? That yellow/amber FOG lights really aren't any better, and even the French stopped using them..

Now, if you actually mean the corner lamps (turn signals), I can see your point. But I've never understood why some people like to drive around with all the lights on (fogs) like they are in landing mode at the airport. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've had to actually use the fog lights in my almost 27 years of ownership of my M3... and really, they are ONLY good at lighting up the side of the road right in front of the car.

Absolutely agreed. With HID lights, fog lights are pointless in terms of increasing visibility or light coverage. While my 97 M3 has them, my other cars from 2020 and 2010 do not even have them, which is fine by me. Not sure which is worse, driving with fog lights on all the time, or driving without any lights (because instrument lights are on, some drivers don't realize that they are driving without exterior lights.....seems to be mostly Hondas)

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    I’m assuming the intent of the original post wasn’t for the actual illumination color but the look of the lights when they’re off.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by austincurr2 View Post
    Amber colored fog lamps
    What makes you think there's amber colored fog lamps to buy?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Maybe there is a Euro option? Amber may have been more popular there. I don’t have fog lights. They got in the way of the supercharger intake and later the turbocharger intercooler piping. The car is so fast now that it just glides through the fog….
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 01-29-2022 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    What makes you think there's amber colored fog lamps to buy?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-Replac...-127632-2357-0
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    e36
    Then what's this thread about if OP can simply buy them from ebay?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by importbanana View Post
    Then what's this thread about if OP can simply buy them from ebay?
    It's just a hunch, but the ebay source was not mentioned until after he started the discussion.

As has been suggested privately in the past, try to have a bit of courtesy and respect for other forum members.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJordanWhitte View Post
    Those are pretty bad aftermarket pieces.
    Amber fogs were never an OE option as far as I know. I've never seen a single car with them in 20 years of being very interested in these cars.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring