Thread: BMW 320D cas3+ issues

My Cars

BMW 320D cas3+ issues

Hi all!

I have a friend that has quite the issue with his BMW E92 320D(automatic gearbox)where the car refused to start. Before asking me to look into this he took the car to another guy who tried to resolve the issue but somehow ended up corrupting the Cas and causing further damages. After having worked on the car nothing happens when inserting the key, completely dead, most likely the flash but maybe also the eeprom.

Cas in question is a Cas 3+ with mask version 0L15Y.

I have Yanhua Mini ACDP with relevant modules to it. I am able to read and write to eeprom but can only read the flash, not write to it. Seems to be bricked somehow. I can also check Cas status and can see that it is in abnormal status which in other terms means not ok/functioning. Cannot do a Cas repair abnormal status, always fails.

The problem however is that I have tried to copy the content of the eeprom to another used cas 3+ module with same part number and mask version but nothing happens when inserting key and pressing start button. No ignition or lights on dash. I was able to read out the DME ISN and VIN through the Cas data from bricked Cas by using function “renew data “ where the ViN is correct and belongs to my friend’s car.

I have also tried to copy the content of Cas from another similar BMW 320D that has a working key and written the information to the used Cas module, changed DME isn and VIN info in the Cas data file and managed to get the ignition, lights on dash and starter motor to work but car doesn’t start.

When reading the fault codes with Ista I get EWS tampering protection that is a permanent fault code a”that cannot be cleared and cannot do a DME - CAS synchronization/alignment due to EWS4 according to Ista.

If DME ISN is correct the car should start but doesn’t. Could the ISN have gotten changed in the Cas data from bricked Cas module or maybe Yanhua not reading complete ISN required?

I’m thinking that maybe I have to either do an immo off or renew DME somehow and then code it to car with Ista and hope ISN and all relevant data will be ok afterwards. Don’t have any such tools tho for this DME. Yanhua could probably work on some DMEs but haven’t bought the module for this function.

Worth to mention is that the DME is the original one in the car, hasn’t been changed. Only the Cas and hopefully DME works as it should.

DME is Bosch EDC17. Don’t have the exact part number but could look it up if necessary.

Also worth to mention that I’m a bit of a beginner with this but learning as I go.

How can I proceed from here? Any tips or solutions are greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Christian

My Cars
    BMW M3
    I need help with virgin file. I sent ECU to viretronics ECU Repair company and they helped me turn off immobiliser. It worked for some days and while trying to check fuse I have shorted out the ECU mistakenly. I need virgin file