Thread: Odd sound in drive train upon first drive in morning.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Odd sound in drive train upon first drive in morning.

The sound goes away first 5 minutes or 1 mile upon first drive in the morning, colder mornings it's worse! Car now has 116k yet it is old, a 1997. I thought rear wheel bearings maybe, then thought center drive shaft support bearing maybe. I did research both, but do not appear similar to my experience here so I question. After driving the car beyond a mile, this sound goes away and I have logged at least 2000 + miles after this sound I hear goes away driving and nothing seems from driving as a problem!....As usual, the next morning it repeats itself, now over and over, many times! I'm now waiting for something to completely fail so I can identify and then repair! Has anyone experienced this behavior with their E36? Any help with this will be great. ???

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Learn how to check wheel bearings (hint, use search feature or watch vids on YouTube).
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Eric93se..............I did search and watched many videos on YouyTube, also read many posts here and on other forums. I have had the car up off both wheels and run in gear. No wheel play-movement. When run off ground, no unusual sounds indicative either for rear wheel bearing issues. The car has now just 117k, not also indicative likely for bearing failure just yet. Had the car had over 200+K, it could be reasonable for rear bearing failure to be but although it cannot be ruled out as possible. I posted my question here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience before I go and remove whole exhaust system to check the center shaft bearing as well as this is also suspect. Another possible suspect is the rear axle differential gear case. I do have reason to believe this car may have been severely abused (drifting and hard burn-outs) it's not an M3, though they didn't likely know..Speculation on my part for sure. I am not a novice to automotive repair as I believe from your last comments to a post I made your suggesting such. I am knowledged 50 years, 25+ years with Audi, MB, and lately 5 years now with BMW. Before this forum, I had been on Mersedeshop.com Fastlane...from 2001, no longer it exist, but today is same people we know as Peachtree, and now Pelican. Your insulting comments to me a short while ago are troubling, I came here to this forum to learn, your's seems only to tell people not to buy "Vogtland suspensions" You have never offered me any direction for my questions but only negative and hateful response!!!

My Cars
    e36
    Where do you think is the sound coming from? Engine bay? Or from under the car? Middle or towards the rear?